Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I need some help buying RAM for my iMac Core 2 Dup 1.83GHz..

I need some help buying RAM for my iMac Core 2 Dup 1.83GHz..
Drew
Jan 26, 2007, 09:17 PM

Hi, I have a 17" iMac Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz bottom-end model, and I need to buy some RAM, but the RAM on Apple's website is ridiculously overpriced. I need to find somewhere that I can buy RAM that will work with my iMac that is cheaper. I am looking for either 1 or 2 gigs of ram, and I would prefer if the location was near Ontario, Canada, cause shipping is a bitch. I have a feeling that 2 gigs of RAM doesn't normally cost $350, but on Apple.com, it does...and that's american money...so like...a lot in canadian. Anyways, Help me out.
( Last edited by Drew; Jan 26, 2007 at 09:40 PM. )

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 09:33 PM

Memory upgrades, graphics cards, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

use the tool for finding the right memory for your computer

Drew  (op)
Jan 26, 2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by hickey View Post
Memory upgrades, graphics cards, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

use the tool for finding the right memory for your computer
It doesn't have 1.83 GHz Core 2 duo, only 1.83 ghz core duo.

fesdds
Jan 26, 2007, 10:48 PM

I believe your iMac's RAM should be the same as the 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo. I always buy my RAM from Crucial.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by fesdds View Post
I believe your iMac's RAM should be the same as the 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo. I always buy my RAM from Crucial.
Crucial lists other C2D iMacs, so there's no reason why yours doesn't take the same RAM. You need something with the following specifications:

DDR2
non-ECC
unbuffered
PC2-5300

iMac C2Ds use dual-channel RAM, so I would highly recommend buying a "kit" for your upgrade (includes a matched pair, e.g. two 512MB sticks for a 1GB kit) and selling the RAM that came with your iMac. Combining brands of RAM or even different lot numbers of the same brand can cause problems with dual-channel setups. Check www.newegg.com and www.zipzoomfly.com for good deals. You might also check www.frys.com.

Stick with decent brands - Corsiar, Crucial, and Kingston are brands I usually recommend to people. Find whichever one has the best price, and go with that. All three brands include lifetime warranties.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2007, 11:44 PM

All the Intel C2D iMacs have the same chipset and take the same memory.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 11:28 AM

I bought my RAM from NCIX.com.

I found them to have the lowest prices from 'trustable' internet shops. Fast delivery, and fast returns if there is any problem. Customer service was also great.

Here's a link to the RAM you need:

NCIX.com - Buy Memory (RAM) In Canada.

$280 CAD for 2 GB Mushkin is a good deal right now. Prices have been fluctuating, and seem to be going up, so I'd buy soon.

I bought the Corsair, and it's been fine for me, but Mushkin is a better brand name.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 12:38 PM

ramseeker�: Memory and Ram prices. Apple, PC, Digital Camera

Get guaranteed for life memory and go for the best price. Has always worked for me.

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2007, 12:45 AM

I got 2x1G for my mac mini at a reasonsble price. They asssure me Apple compatibilty. It is so zippy and I don't see spinning ball when I opened muti programmes any more.
1024MB PC2-5300 200 pin DIMM: OEMPCworld.com
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

Drew  (op)
Feb 1, 2007, 12:29 AM

So, does that mean I'm not supposed to see the spinning ball? I see that pretty much all the time, I only have 512mb right now d=

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 12:27 PM

More memory is your friend. 512 is a minimum. Get at least 1 gig. 2 is better. You will notice a big difference.

emedina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 09:59 AM

I can't decide wether to go for 1GB or 2GB...I need help. I use my iMac G51.8 GHz PowerPC mainly for web browsing, photos, music, occasionally movies and garage band.

What I have now is a pair of 256. Can I just replace it with a pair of 512 or 1 GB? I mean would it be as easy as taking out the old ones and inserting the new ones or is there more into it?

Thank you.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by emedina View Post
I can't decide wether to go for 1GB or 2GB...I need help. I use my iMac G51.8 GHz PowerPC mainly for web browsing, photos, music, occasionally movies and garage band.

What I have now is a pair of 256. Can I just replace it with a pair of 512 or 1 GB? I mean would it be as easy as taking out the old ones and inserting the new ones or is there more into it?

Thank you.
Yup, shut down. Replace old chips with new ones. Start up computer. Enjoy.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

emedina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 10:57 AM

Thank you Goldfinger.
For around $100 bucks difference, should I go for 1 or 2GB upgrade?
Would there be noticeable difference? I hate the spinning beach ball!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2007, 11:02 AM

Depends, if you can easily afford it then go with the 2GB. It never hurts.

I just ordered a 1GB stick for my 2.16ghz C2D this morning to bring the total up to 1,5GB (I have 2x512 now and I plan on selling a 512stick). I had to go with a single 1GB stick since I'm a poor student. I'll have to save a bit more to get that second 1GB stick or maybe even that 2GB stick if prices come down.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

emedina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 11:27 AM

Thank you again. I have 1 annoying problem though with my old G5. Sometimes it won't start up. What I do is unplug all the cords from the back and it turns on but sometimes it still won't. There were other times that I have to hold the power button on for 9-10 seconds before it it turns on and sometimes just 1 quick push and it would turn on. Is there something that i can do to fix this?

HazMacFan
Feb 11, 2007, 05:13 PM

You need to be careful with that. I have the 20" iMac G5 2.0 GHz APS and what started like your symptoms ended with my machine not starting at all. Its currently at an Apple repair center, so far they are saying "bad power supply" but my serial number does not match the ones Apple extended the warranty on. Luckily I have AppleCare for it. I have to wait three more weeks before they can work on it though.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

emedina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2007, 10:31 PM

Thank you. I just read that forum from Apple yesterday and I am planning to bring mine to their store soon for a repair. Luckily, mine matches one those serial numbers...what a relief! Thanks again for the info!

Forum Links
Forum Rules