Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 64 GB RAM in a G5

64 GB RAM in a G5
reader50
Administrator
Apr 25, 2010, 05:55 PM

According the wikipedia, the U4 (CPC945) memory controller used with dual-core (970MP) PowerMac G5s can handle up to 64 GB.

Apple only rates dualcore G5s to 16 GB, using 2GB DDR2 modules. These were probably the biggest sticks available to test with at the time. Today, newegg has 4GB module pairs at high prices, didn't see any 8GB modules.

So it looks like we can go to at least 32 GB, 64 if 8GB modules become available. Has anyone tried the 4GB sticks, and gone beyond 16 GB? I'd try it if the kits came down further.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2010, 06:11 PM

Off Topic: why would you invest that much into such an old machine ?

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2010, 06:13 PM

Not sure that OS X could even address that much RAM with a G5. And certainly most applications can't.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Apr 25, 2010, 11:40 PM

Investing time and effort into maximum upgrades is seldom done because you need it. It's the fun factor instead.

And it's official. I dug up IBM's specs for the CPC945 northbridge. On page 129, the overview of the DDR2 Memory Controller:
• Support for 8 ranks. 8 DIMMs max (4 double-sided pairs).
• 64 GB max capacity using 4 pairs of 8 GB double-sided DIMMs. (Only 62 GB addressable due to 2 GB I/O hole.)
We already have the max number of slots (8) the controller supports. So it will accept up to 8GB modules, for maximum addressable space of 62 GB.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2010, 11:47 PM

Please do this. You will be my hero forever.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

P
Apr 26, 2010, 05:09 AM

Amusing. And I think that OS X will address all that RAM, but few applications will be able to make use of it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2010, 11:01 AM

Is there a ramdisk utility for OSX? That would be one fast SSD. Just out of curiosity, do you know the true ceiling for 970fx models as well?

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Apr 26, 2010, 02:00 PM

The 970 / 970FX models use the U3 (CPC925) controller. I didn't find the user manual, but an IBM developer page shows specs in a sidebar.
• the DDR400 dual channel memory subsystem with up to 128-bit RAM, supporting as many as eight 64-bit double-sided DDR DIMMs of up to 1GB each (max system capacity of 8GB), at speeds of up to 200MHz (DDR 400). The IBM CPC925's memory controller supports error correcting code (ECC) for error detection and correction.
This matches the official Apple answer of 8 GB for 8-slot motherboards. Without the user manual though, the only way to be sure would be to plug in a pair of 2 GB DDR modules.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2010, 02:09 PM

I'm pretty sure I've read 2 GB modules are recognized by the U3 controller.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2010, 08:50 AM

The G5 (well, at least my 2.5 dual) uses PC3200 ram which is of a different form factor than the DDR2/DDR3/DDR4 ram memory.

Good luck finding a 2 GB PC3200 stick that isn't a fortune. I have yet to see a real one in person, all I ever see is 1 gig. I've got 7 in mine presently.

If I ever find a PC3200 2 gig stick I'd pop it in there just for the fun of it but the 2 gig sticks I've seen were all server memory and quite expensive.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2010, 06:50 PM

I should also mention My G5 came with a manual addendum claiming it could run 16 GB of PC3200 should I be able to find said chips.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2010, 08:55 PM

Nowhere in the manual for my dual 2.3 7,3 G5 does it mention a max capacity. users guide
Specs are on page 79.
It does however specify 512 Mbit chips for 1 gig modules, and it says on page 49 the maximum number is 16.
I went to Tiger Direct and didn't see any 2GB sticks just now, and since all of the new faster memory no longer uses the 184 pin format its not like you can use that instead.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Apr 27, 2010, 10:30 PM

There's a bunch of DDR 2GB ECC modules. I found one non-ECC module for $110 per stick.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2010, 05:41 PM

See what I mean? Very expensive. $852.40 (tax not included) for 8 chips so 2 x 8 = 16 gigs.

Kinda spendy for all that old tech but cool just the same. I bet maxing a iMac Corei7 to 16 gigs would be cheaper.

That being said...

My G5 is finally maxed out at 8 gigs now - a friend was moving and found two pc3200 1 gig sticks and he just gave them to me.

I'm not sure this computer will live long enough for me to find big 2 gig sticks affordably.

And the memory would help. One of my music sessions was over 6.3 gigs of ram today....

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2010, 02:51 PM

I don't see a non-ultraspecialized application for so much RAM. Anything over 8 would be overkill in such a machine, IMHO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules