Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Swapping AGP graphics cards

Swapping AGP graphics cards
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2004, 10:19 AM

I won't bore you with the full story of why I might do this, but my 400mhz Sawtooth G4 has a Radeon 9000 AGP card in it (I replaced the standard card with it). My friends Quicksilver 733mhz has the standard GeForce 2 MX in it. I'm sure the 9000 would work fine in his QS Mac, but would the GeForce 2 work OK in my 400mhz Mac? I'm assuming it would but I'd like to find out for sure before doing the swap.

I'm doing a bit of swapping around as the G4 400 is to be sold when I get my Dual 2 G5 in a couple of weeks. Do you think I'll notice much difference in speed?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

bbales
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 09:46 AM

While I don't know the specifics of your card, I would recommend checking that the card will work with your monitor. I tried upgrading the card in my 400 MZ G4 a while back and couldn't do it because of my Studio Display monitor. And it looked like to get it to work I would have to spend way more money that I wanted on a nearly 4-year-old monitor.

So check that part out, as well.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 02:22 AM

Either video card should work in either computer.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 02:46 AM

as far as a difference in speed... not totally sure, but I'd expect the GF2MX would not be as strong with QE as the R9000. Neither one is particularly great for games, and the 400MHz CPU is really a limiting factor, as well.

You may see a performance hit (especially if using OS X), but not too serious of a hit if you are only putting up with it for a few weeks.

If you are doing this for pure monetary value, you might consider putting the original Rage 128 (or Rage 128 Pro -- these have a DVI connector) back in and selling it and the card separately... assuming you would be willing to go through that trouble and you haven't promised upgraded graphics. Then again, if you are eBaying, I know very little about the eBay economy...

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2004, 09:26 AM

I'd say sell the G4/400 with the Rage 128 in it and sell the GeForce 2MX separately. Since they're fanless and fit in a Cube without mods, OEM Mac versions of the card tend to rake in the cash on eBay.

The Radeon 9000 is not a super high performance card, but it's still way better than the GeForce 2MX, which I believe is somewhere between a Radeon 7000 and the original Radeon.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 09:33 AM

Thanks for all the help. Basically my firm supply my Mac as I work at home and are buying me a G5 soon. I want to buy the G4 off them so I can sell it on to a mate.

Another mate has the QSilver Mac and I'd like to up his graphics a bit with the 9000 as he plays games a fair bit. The GeForce from his would then go in the G4 I wish to sell and would still be better than the Rage card that came with it as it does at least support Quartz Extreme.

I hope that all made sense!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by WOPR:
Thanks for all the help. Basically my firm supply my Mac as I work at home and are buying me a G5 soon. I want to buy the G4 off them so I can sell it on to a mate.

Another mate has the QSilver Mac and I'd like to up his graphics a bit with the 9000 as he plays games a fair bit. The GeForce from his would then go in the G4 I wish to sell and would still be better than the Rage card that came with it as it does at least support Quartz Extreme.

I hope that all made sense!
Yes it would work. I took my Radeon 9000 from my upgraded Sawtooth and put it in my new/used QuickSilver Dual 800. I then took the GEForce MX/Twinview card from my Quicksilver and stuck it in my Sawtooth. Works with not problems
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 11:12 AM

Excellent! That's just what I wanted to hear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules