Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Difference between Eyetv200 and USB model

Difference between Eyetv200 and USB model
shreddog
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 03:59 PM

In terms of video quality, is the Eyetv 200 worth the extra cash? I already have a tivo so the pvr functionality is not that important to me.

Thanks!
iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

joe
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by shreddog:
In terms of video quality, is the Eyetv 200 worth the extra cash? I already have a tivo so the pvr functionality is not that important to me.
EyeTV USB version: 320*240 (? could be 352*240)
EyeTV200 Firewire: 704*480

Assuming a good quality video source, the EyeTV200 is about 4x the resolution of the original EyeTV USB. Firewire supplies enough power so you don't need a power brick with the EyeTV200 (you do with the USB version).

Just out of curiousity, aren't there programs that allow you to access your TiVO files from computer? If so, why bother getting another tuner?......joe

shreddog  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2004, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the info.

The reason I'm looking for another tuner is that when my wife plays her video games on the TV, I would like to be able to watch tv. Instead of buying another tv (it might look funny to have 2 tv's in the living room), I was seeing if this was a good option. The new Eyetv is just a little more than I wanted to spend, but it sounds like it's worth the extra $$.

The programs for the TIVO, are only for the series 1. (I think) I am not aware of any programs for the series 2. If anyone else knows a way to get this functionality, let me know.

Thanks again.
iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

joe
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by shreddog:
The reason I'm looking for another tuner is that when my wife plays her video games on the TV, I would like to be able to watch tv. Instead of buying another tv (it might look funny to have 2 tv's in the living room), I was seeing if this was a good option. The new Eyetv is just a little more than I wanted to spend, but it sounds like it's worth the extra $$.

Definitely, I'm happy with my EyeTV200 However, there's another possibility. The Formac Studio tuners (dv/tv, TVR, etc) are the same res and video quality as the EyeTV200. Of course they're about the same price as the EyeTV200 new. However, the Formac tuners have been around a lot longer. So you may be able to pick one up used on eBay. Here's a recent auction for a Formac Studio dv/tv that went for $202.50US:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

That's more than an EyeTVUSB tuner, but a helluva lot less than a new EyeTV200 or Formac TVR Firewire tuner. I used to own a Formac Studio dv/tv and the vid quality is excellent. They're bus powered too (no power brick) and have more a/v ports than any of the EyeTV boxes - including a/v out. However, the Formac devices capture in DV format which takes up a lot more hard drive space than MPEG1/2 files from the EyeTV tuners. You can compress them down but that takes time. Not an issue you mainly want to use it as a TV though. Formac's software wasn't as polished as the EyeTV sw though that may have changed since I sold my Formac Studio dv/tv. I used Vidi software most of the time. It's a great 3rd party app (free too) that also supports the radio tuner on the older TV models. The latest Formac TVR doesn't have a radio tuner. Formac's software only supported the radio tuners in OS9 - which is an indication of how much longer Formac's Firewire TV tuners have been around.

BTW, if you go the Formac route just be careful that you're bidding on one of the TV tuner models. Formac sells a nearly identical Studio that strictly converts from video to DV (and vice versa) - no TV or radio tuners on-board. good luck.......joe

Forum Links
Forum Rules