Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP and invisibleshield

MBP and invisibleshield
zorrito
Aug 2, 2006, 12:59 PM

Hi everyone, I am wondering if someone haves a MBP with the invisibleSHIELD FULL BODY SHIELD, can you tell me if it fits nice? and if you have any pictures it would be great if you can show us...

Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers

zorrito
i-book G3 Blueberry
Powerbook G4 12'' :D:D

zorrito  (op)
Aug 2, 2006, 06:08 PM

anyone??
i-book G3 Blueberry

marissa
Aug 2, 2006, 06:24 PM

it makes it look glossy. here's a pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/IMG_0156.jpg

zorrito  (op)
Aug 2, 2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by marissa
it makes it look glossy. here's a pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/IMG_0156.jpg

looks nice

thanks for the picture!
i-book G3 Blueberry

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2006, 11:46 PM

Does it affect the heat?

marissa
Aug 3, 2006, 12:00 AM

I don't see why it would. Actually, it may be the MBP itself but it's a lot cooler than most.
macbook.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 12:07 AM

I don't understand why you would want to do this. The MBP is scratch resistant already.

Chris

marissa
Aug 3, 2006, 12:37 AM

Umm.. not to sound too mean, but I really have to say that's wrong. The Powerbook/MBP aluminum casing is NOT scratch resistant by any means.
macbook.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2006, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by chabig
I don't understand why you would want to do this. The MBP is scratch resistant already.
not really.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 01:10 AM

Mine isn't scratched. I take care of it. But I use the Invisible Shield on my iPod and I concede that it does the machine carefree.

Chris

yomike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 04:52 PM

I think the Invisible Shield is one of the best investment you can get for a MB. it's a little bit of a pain to put on but it was worth it. It does make it glossy. This shouldn't void any warranty by Apple.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2006, 06:14 PM

I use IS on my Treo and I love it. But I love the look of my MBP and don't like the shininess that IS gives to my Treo and would hate it on my MBP. However, I do wish to protect my MBP.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 08:29 AM

The guy isn't exactly wrong about the mbp being scratch resistant. The aluminum casing of it is ionized w/ a spray on that is suppose to help prevent scratches/stains/discolorations or the usual daily elements of little bumps and grins. While it helps, it doesn't prevent harsher conditions such as accidental keyings or neglect etc.

But extra protection is definiely welcome. The only thing I don't like about the Invisible Shield is that takes away that whole cold metal case feeling when you touch or hug it when you wake up It's what makes the mbp the mbp, the whole aluminum body But the palm protection areas are welcome

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by marissa
Umm.. not to sound too mean, but I really have to say that's wrong. The Powerbook/MBP aluminum casing is NOT scratch resistant by any means.

Well unless you are using sandpaper to clean your PowerBook/MBP then you are right, it's not scratch resistant. My Powerbook 17" looks exactly the same as it did when I first bought it 3+ years ago. Not a scratch on it and I don't keep it inside a sleeve or baby it. Now on the other hand the iBook and white MacBook are not that EZ to take care of.
That's one of the reasons why Apple discontinued the iPod mini because of it's scratch resistant aluminum body made it last longer so it slowed down sales of new iPods.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by hldan
That's one of the reasons why Apple discontinued the iPod mini because of it's scratch resistant aluminum body made it last longer so it slowed down sales of new iPods.

Where do you get this stuff?

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash

Where do you get this stuff?

its under business 101-stuff companys like apple will never bring to the light..
somebody should do a truth commercial about tech companys and their whole agendas.
at the end of the day apple is a business after your money-they are not your friends and they are not cool like they portray to be. They will sue you quicker then microsoft now a days.

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Javizun
its under business 101-stuff companys like apple will never bring to the light..
somebody should do a truth commercial about tech companys and their whole agendas.
at the end of the day apple is a business after your money-they are not your friends and they are not cool like they portray to be. They will sue you quicker then microsoft now a days.

Thank you for helping me making my point which was common sense. All companies have planned obsolesence.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by hldan
Thank you for helping me making my point which was common sense. All companies have planned obsolesence.
Um. The iPod Mini came out after the first scratch-able iPods. I think your grand corporate conspiracy doesn't exactly work.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Um. The iPod Mini came out after the first scratch-able iPods. I think your grand corporate conspiracy doesn't exactly work.
It's a shame how certain things need to be spelled out for certain people. Dude corporations do it all the time, they make a nice product (orginal iPod) and realize where improvements need to be made based on the demographic (iPod mini+a more youthful crowd). The iPod mini was appealing to younger kids and parents liked it because it was more durable.
So why did Apple discontinue making metal framed iPods??? 1) to cut costs, 2) to enhance future sales. The Nano's scratched up like crazy, so what do many people do besides complain, just go out a buy another one which results in money in Apple's pocket. Planned obsolesence.

Also 3rd party companies benefit from Apple's marketing such as the Invisible Shield which started this thread.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2006, 07:08 PM

Argument aside, is there anywhere where I can buy an Invisible Shield alternative that only covers the palm rest area? find the top cover useless, for me atleast.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2006, 09:25 PM

hidan they dont see that a perfect product= no revenue, while a faulty product=a hefty bank account.

is a pretty obvious business practice i mean why woulndt you want people to purchase your product every so often if you make 1 million on its first gen imagine the 2nd gen and son on.

n8236 thats what i was thinking since i dont want a full body shield i purchased the standard shield which covers the palm rest and the track pad those 2 sections on a laptop are the first to fade.

wilder13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2006, 07:46 AM

There is another company that makes protective film for the MacBook Pro...ad it's less expensive.

Applepeelz :: Home

Now that I have it on my MacBook Pro and my iPod, and can't imagine not using it.

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2006, 09:57 AM

I have the full body IS on my MBP, and I like it. A few points:

The computer is less slippery and easier to grip with the plastic IS covering it. I feel I am much less likely to drop it.

It seems to make no difference in the temperature of the machine.

The large piece on the back of the LCD is difficult to install, and I didn't do it very well. I called the company to ask if they thought I could peel it off and reapply, and they decided that the ~2 weeks that I had left it on was too long, so they are sending me a new back piece, free. The price for this shield is high, and i think they make a very hefty profit, but I like the peace of mind of knowing that I will NOT scratch the case, and I give them very good marks for service.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2006, 06:32 PM

WIll those of you who have the lcd protection tell me how it compares to a glossy screen? Or if the whole matte + glossy plastic comes out weird?

Forum Links
Forum Rules