Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9 killed my sound!

Mac OS 9 killed my sound!
nealconner
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2000, 08:21 AM

Ever since I've installed Mac OS 9 on my beige DT G3, I have lost my sound. My speakers are fine, but when I go to the sound control panel, everything is weird. I can't even turn up the volume (in the control panel) without the slider bar going back to 0. I have downgraded to 8.6 but it still doesn't work. My hard drive died so the I got a new one, which my local Mac guy installed 9.0.4 on it. I have no sound what-so-ever and programs notify me that I will have trouble with sound with them. Arrgghh! I can't go any longer without my MP3s. Help!

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2000, 01:16 PM

I would try trashing the preference file first, just to check if it helps.

:/

Other then that, well...hmm...maybe you can try zapping the PRAM?

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2000, 02:04 PM

Try reinstaling the certain components for the sound(Ihope you have the OS9 installation CD).I had the same problem when I had 8.6
But first of all as warmon says also try trashing the preference file.
Zapping the PRAM won't make a differnce.

[This message has been edited by phobos (edited 10-01-2000).]

huh?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2000, 11:03 AM

I had the same problem with my iMac 333 after I upgraded it to OS 9. In addition to the OS upgrade, I had recently started running SETI and Seti Unit Manager (SUM). After all the usual fixes (trashing prefs, zapping PRAM, Norton, etc.) fixed the problem only temporarily (or not at all), I recalled that I had recently started running the SETI stuff. After removing these programs, trashing sound prefs and zapping PRAM, I re-booted and the problems went away. Very strange. Not sure if it was SETI, SUM, or the combination or, more importantly, why. May also have been interacting with some component of OS9. Good luck.

--huh?

nealconner  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2000, 08:14 AM

Thanks a lot. I'll do this.

[This message has been edited by nealconner (edited 10-08-2000).]

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2000, 12:13 PM

Folks, you got it all wrong. Disabling the Apple Audio Extension gets rid of the problem. I also had this on a beige G3 DT machine after updating from 8.1 to 9.0.

I don't know exactly what this extension does as sound works fine without it. Maybe someone in the know can elaborate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules