Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple Maps used three times as much on iOS devices than Google Maps

Apple Maps used three times as much on iOS devices than Google Maps
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 9, 2015, 10:51 AM

Apple Maps is being used three times as much as its next leading competitor on iPhones and iPads, Apple claims. The app deals with more than 5 billion map-related quests each week, which Apple suggests makes it more popular than Google Maps and other similar services on its own range of devices, indicating Apple Maps has been accepted as the main navigational tool among iPhone users.

The information received by the Associated Press is partly backed up by data from Comscore. The research firm believes Apple Maps has a "modest lead" over Google Maps for iPhone users based in the United States, though it is noted Comscore measures how many people use the app in a given month, not the number of times the app is accessed. A report released in September of the top smartphone apps in July for all devices put Google Maps' reach at 50.6 percent, while Apple Maps placed lower with 28.2 percent. In October, Google apparently had twice the reach of Apple Maps.

The high usage of Apple Maps instead of Google Maps by iPhone users could be taken as a validation that Apple's work on the app was worth the trouble. At the time of its launch three years ago, Apple Maps suffered from multiple errors regarding its data, including mislabeled landmarks and incomplete maps, something which competitors used to attack the new service.

In the time since, Apple has worked to correct its data, with a fleet of ground-truth vans collecting GPS data for use with the service. It has also increased the number of data sources it is using for various map functions, with more than 3,000 sources being used. Existing functions like Flyover have been expanded to cover more cities, and new features such as Transit have given iPhone users more of a reason to switch back from Google Maps to Apple's own service.

Jemster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2015, 11:41 AM

Or... just possibly it could be because Apple Maps launches automatically when you tap an address in the Contacts application or Safari... unless there's some way to change this default behaviour I don't know?

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2015, 12:02 PM

True. It's easier and quicker to launch Apple Maps when you are in a hurry since it's connected to everything in the iPhone. Plus Apple Maps is getting pretty good and reliable. My other equal usage map is Waze (half crazy about their redesigned though). Google Maps app is done for me except if I only want to check out street views.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2015, 02:56 PM

Even the Google iOS search app will send you over to Apple Maps for directions if you don't have the Google Maps app installed, which is nice. I've been with Apple Maps for the long haul and though to be fair I travel mostly to and around major cities in first-world countries, it's never let me down -- unlike Google Maps a few years back, which send me down more than few blind alleys (though I'm sure it is much better now).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2015, 03:13 PM

Both apps (Apple Maps and Google Maps) are accurate in my city, but I MUCH prefer Google Map's voice turn-by-turn directions to Apple's, not to mention that Google's pan and zoom functionality is implemented much better in their app (double-tap-drag to zoom in/out is a godsend for one-handed use).

If I were to lose access to Google Maps tomorrow, I'd have no problem transitioning over to Apple Maps seamlessly and quickly, but for now, Google's touch UI on their maps bests Apple Maps in my opinion, largely revolving around how to zoom, and that's a big feature for me.

mindwaves
Dec 9, 2015, 04:31 PM

Google Maps has directions as to which lane to be in. Apple Maps doesn't. Very helpful when driving. Also, GM tells you a second before APs which is also helpful.

AMs, even when zoomed in all of the way, or just the default zoom settings is pretty barren and lacks basic street names.

Internationally, Apple Maps lacks basic information. I'm an Apple fan, but AMs are still a joke. GMs are the only google service that I do use.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2015, 04:47 PM

Meh. Apple Maps is easier to access but I find Google easier to use. That said, I Waze every single drive. I know how to get where I'm going 99.9% of the time; I only want traffic advice, and for that I trust Waze.

How do Apple and Google maps compare when it comes to traffic avoidance?

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2015, 05:31 PM

Google Maps and Apple Maps both have traffic overlays (standard street highlighting where green is no congestion, continuing on through yellow, orange, and shades of red), but I find Google's implementation much easier to see at various zoom levels.

Apple uses dashed lines; Google's are solid, and in my opinion, easier to see.

Other than calculating travel times taking traffic into account, that's about the extent of traffic avoidance those apps offer.

quebit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2015, 10:32 PM

I also find, because Google Maps has access to Google Search, it's much more reliable to look up a "local" business around your current location. For example, if I'm in a particular spot, I can search for a Chevron fast station or a banking branch much more reliably on google maps than Apple maps ... that's a big use case for me .... I always use Google Maps as a "local" directory service (points of interest).

just a poster
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2015, 01:46 AM

Shout out to Nokia Maps/Here Maps. I've been very happy using it for turn by turn directions while driving.

Forum Links
Forum Rules