Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Jon Stewart interviews Hillary Clinton and Condoleezza Rice

Jon Stewart interviews Hillary Clinton and Condoleezza Rice
OreoCookie
Nov 21, 2022, 03:26 AM

Youtube isn't all bad: it suggested an interview of Hillary Clinton and Condi Rice by Jon Stewart. It is quite interesting* to see how much the two agree on various issues. You can literally see Rice nodding through large parts of the interview. Towards the end, Stewart tries to push a little, but both are seasoned pros and he doesn't get very far. Still, I found some points interesting, e. g. the distinction between government building and institution building. Clearly, these two women have a lot of respect for one another and politically, there is quite a bit of overlap.

It was kinda interesting to see that Rice was a bit more quiet and listened more, whereas Clinton naturally grabbed more of the spotlight. (I don't think this was out of disrespect, just a personality difference between the two.)

* Just to be clear, when I write interesting, I don't mean to imply agreement on my part. I merely found the conversation quite interesting, both were articulate and there were plenty of things I disagreed with.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Nov 21, 2022 at 04:22 AM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2022, 04:24 AM

Political agreement is an increasing rarity these days. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of Republicans of that era are pretty disillusioned with the current mob.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2022, 10:23 AM

FWIU, it’s the norm for Secretaries of State to pal around.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Nov 21, 2022, 03:23 PM

I wish stewart would run for office. he'd win.

andi*pandi
Nov 21, 2022, 06:52 PM

Very cool. I hadn't heard Condoleeza speak in a long time.

OreoCookie  (op)
Nov 21, 2022, 09:13 PM

I think it is a peek into an alternate reality where moderate Republicans were much more dominant. IMHO the reason why the GOP went off on Clinton the way they did was that they were afraid how much in the center she was and is. Plus, it was refreshing to hear what sophisticated, well-informed politicians sound like.

@andipandi
Same here, and this was one major reason why I invested the hour to listen to the interview. Also, these two women had the same job in the end, Secretary of State. They were strongly agreeing when Stewart brought up how small the State Department actually is compared with how big it is perceived to be.

Thorzdad
Nov 21, 2022, 11:07 PM

I haven’t listened to the interview yet, but it does sound interesting. Does Stewart get the to speak to Trump’s attempt to gut the State Department? State was one of the first departments he seriously went after.

OreoCookie  (op)
Nov 23, 2022, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I haven’t listened to the interview yet, but it does sound interesting. Does Stewart get the to speak to Trump’s attempt to gut the State Department? State was one of the first departments he seriously went after.
No, not as far as I recall. He only asked more generally about soft power vs. hard power and that all the attention is with the military (including budget-wise). When Stewart mentioned the budget set aside for the State Department (his number was incorrect according to both, too low), they both had to laugh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules