Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hulu Plus

Hulu Plus
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 02:42 PM

This looks pretty sweet, but from screencaps in the guided tour, it looks like it still has adverts. What is the level of interest in a product like this with ads? I pay $8.99 a month for Netflix, and I can instantly watch on my Xbox in HD, but there are no ads.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2010, 02:55 PM

As awful as I imagined.

This is what you get when old media tries to "adapt" to new media.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2010, 02:56 PM

do not want (if there are ads)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2010, 02:57 PM

There are ads.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2010, 03:11 PM

wait, I can pay $9.99/mo to watch on my tv what I already pay for with cable? Yay?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2010, 03:13 PM

If they made themselves free to everyone with a cable subscription, that might be a start. Like a crappy on demand service.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2010, 03:13 PM

Why don't they continue to offer it for free and just bump up the ads if they are having problems making money? This is going to fail.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2010, 03:20 PM

I can't understand why they don't make a deal with their advertisers to put certain ads that show up OTA on Hulu.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
wait, I can pay $9.99/mo to watch on my tv what I already pay for with cable? Yay?

Well, you can watch older content from past seasons with Hulu Plus. It is interesting that they now make this content available on the iPhone/iPad too... Watching, say, the first season of a new show you are wanting to audition on your phone while you are away from your computer has some appeal, no? I'm not saying it has enough appeal for this to succeed, but it's something...

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2010, 03:22 PM

A niche within a niche. Nested niches!

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
You get every season of The Office on your cable subscription? In HD? For $9.99 a month?

There are a lot of people who don't have cable. I only have it because it's cheaper to bundle cable TV with internet than just pay for cable internet.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It is interesting that they now make this content available on the iPhone/iPad too... Watching, say, the first season of a new show you are wanting to audition on your phone while you are away from your computer has some appeal, no? I'm not saying it has enough appeal for this to succeed, but it's something...
That's a huge step for Hulu's licensing. Currently, any mobile device is blocked from the site.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You get every season of The Office on your cable subscription? In HD? For $9.99 a month?

There are a lot of people who don't have cable. I only have it because it's cheaper to bundle cable TV with internet than just pay for cable internet.
Netflix beats the pants off this. Is a dollar more a month worth current episodes with ads and a severely limited selection?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2010, 04:02 PM

Looks like a decent deal to me. The days of the free/advertising supported services are coming to an end and 10 bucks a months for access to a large, and no doubt growing, library sounds ok to me.

Having said that, I rarely watch TV. My wife, OTOH, would love this.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Netflix beats the pants off this. Is a dollar more a month worth current episodes with ads and a severely limited selection?
Does Netflix deliver to phones? Does it offer recent content from this season?

These aren't leading questions, I'm just wondering what a list of pros and cons of Hulu vs. Netflix would look like. I've grown quite find of Hulu's free offerings.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2010, 04:17 PM

As long as they don’t start taxing the entire site.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 04:33 PM

These aren't leading questions, I'm just wondering what a list of pros and cons of Hulu vs. Netflix would look like. I've grown quite find of Hulu's free offerings.
Netflix Instant Play for iPhone is coming, but that's a negative on recent content.

But I'd rather watch it all without ads on Netflix post-season than I would on Hulu (in lower quality) with ads later on. I could be wrong about the lower-quality, but it seems better when using Netflix.

I despise Hulu (but yes, I still use it occasionally). I think that's why it's tolerate; it is currently a necessary evil.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2010, 04:36 PM

Yep, I've used it once in the past two years - to watch that Betty White SNL. Mercifully, it had the musical guest edited out, but Weekend Update also seemed to get a chop, so I'm left wondering what else they may have removed.

-Q-
Jun 29, 2010, 04:37 PM

It doesn't stream to phones yet, but I've heard rumors of both an iPhone and Android client. There is one available for the iPad.

For the shows I watch, I don't think I've seen same-season availability yet. It seems that when the show gets released on DVD/Blu-ray it's available for streaming.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2010, 04:40 PM

I can't see myself paying for this service. Aside from the fact that it is free on the desktop (and laptop with a 3G card) it is never up to date. They have different arrangements for every show so some are posted 24 hours after they air and others 8 days later. I can't stand having to remember which episode is posted when.

My new apartment is being renovated so I still have at least a month or two to decide whether I will get any TV service and so far the answer is no, because I will get netflix, not no because of hulu.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2010, 05:41 PM

Bah.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I've heard rumors of both an iPhone and Android client.
Netflix showed off their iPhone app at the WWDC Keynote.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 06:00 PM

I think the selection is better than Netflix. They've been very slow to get the last season of some shows online. For example, Hulu's already had season 6 of LOST on reruns, but Netflix hasn't had it at all.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 29, 2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Why don't they continue to offer it for free and just bump up the ads if they are having problems making money? This is going to fail.
In the past month or so, they've started playing two ads in a row instead of the typical one.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2010, 07:15 PM

I wish they'd offer their free content (with ads) for the iPhone and iPad without a subscription. I doubt I'll be paying $10 to get video with ads.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2010, 08:11 PM

They are continuing to offer it for free (with ads), but if you want past episodes and previous seasons, that is where the $10/month comes in. Paying to view ads is also a huge turn-off for me, and I don't think I will be subscribing. I have never been able to understand why people pay for cable and satellite, and still have ads. It's like buying a branded t-shirt... you are paying them to advertise their company. Not for me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2010, 08:14 PM

I think the selection is better than Netflix. They've been very slow to get the last season of some shows online. For example, Hulu's already had season 6 of LOST on reruns, but Netflix hasn't had it at all.
It's like you didn't read my post and have no common sense.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2010, 09:03 PM

I don't mind Hulu ads. They are short enough and less frequent enough.

Although if they have ads in Hulu Plus, they should've lowered it to $4.99, with a larger selection than the standard Hulu selection.

I'll just treat it was my online DVR.

I'm pretty impress with the Hulu 'high' quality mode. 'medium' quality is fine too.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2010, 09:56 PM

It's supposed to fail. Comcast hates Hulu (or, at least, the concept that people can watch TV without having to pay for cable), and if the merger with NBC goes through they will need an excuse to kill it.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 10:24 PM

It's like you didn't read my post and have no common sense.
Obviously I did and was commenting on "severely limited selection."

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
In the past month or so, they've started playing two ads in a row instead of the typical one.
I've noticed this as well. I'm not certain where my threshold is, but I'm sure I won't be paying $10/month for a service they provide for free on the desktop if they keep adding in more ads.

How much would you pay to have access to every episode of every show currently available? Like a legal bit torrent solution. That is what they need to compete against and so far they lose when it comes to (1) ads, (2) price, and (3) selection. They only win for legality and most people just don't care.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 30, 2010, 09:08 AM

Obviously I did and was commenting on "severely limited selection."
The latter part of your post begs to differ.

If you mostly watch FOX and NBC, I guess you could imagine Hulu's selection is better than Netflix.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 09:40 AM

Every show I watch is either on NBC or ABC

andi*pandi
Jun 30, 2010, 10:03 AM

If it had the shows I can't get on my cable, plus what I get on cable, then maybe. But there's no BBC, Scyfy, HBO, etc content there.

I do like watching first seasons of shows I'm interested in, but I rent the DVDs for a dollar.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 11:50 AM

I'm gonna give it a go in the name of science I think.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 30, 2010, 01:12 PM

Every show I watch is either on NBC or ABC
Then I guess this is the exact limited selection for you.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 01:19 PM

I hate watching a show as it happens. There's so much time in between episodes; I lose interest and move on to something else.

I never saw an episode of 24 on it's air date or even during the season. I saw the first four seasons on DVD, and would watch all 24 episodes within two weeks. That's the way I like to see anything besides reality TV. For people like me, this Hulu Plus garbage isn't even slightly appealing.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 01:30 PM

Wouldn't Hulu or Netflix make more sense for you then if you don't like watching a show if it happens? Unless you like spendy DVDs.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 30, 2010, 01:43 PM

Right now the entire point of Hulu is watching a show in season on your own terms (roughly). Plus gives you added flexibility.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 01:44 PM

Since I'm too lazy to look it up - this isn't $10 per device, right? I mean if I pay the $10/mo fee I can watch it on my iPad, iPhone, 360 and PS3?

If that's the case it's not THAT bad of a deal, but I think I'll stick with my Netflix instant play for now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 30, 2010, 01:45 PM

I imagine its the latter.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 01:49 PM

Yeah, it's $10 a month for all of your devices. On top of course of Xbox LIVE costs and PSN costs where applicable.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 02:19 PM

I dunno why I thought it was an in app subscription with iTunes. Makes more sense that Hulu would want to avoid the Apple store fees.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 03:31 PM

Wouldn't Hulu or Netflix make more sense for you then if you don't like watching a show if it happens? Unless you like spendy DVDs.
Forgot to mention: I love Netflix. My wife and I have been subscribers for 3+ years now (3 discs at a time), and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future. Paying for Hulu? No thanks.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 04:37 PM

Oh, I see. Well it really doesn't make sense to pay for both services, unless you have no cable at all I guess, then both services combined is still cheaper and with more HD content.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2010, 05:27 PM

Cable has sports... plus it's a pain to have to jump between services to get all of your shows.

The first guy to get everything under one roof for a reasonable rate is gonna win this war.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 30, 2010, 06:10 PM

XBOX Live will have ESPN3 this fall. Pretty close.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 07:41 PM

Oh, I see. Well it really doesn't make sense to pay for both services, unless you have no cable at all I guess, then both services combined is still cheaper and with more HD content.
I don't have cable or satellite TV. Only Internet service through Suddenlink.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2010, 11:50 AM

Hulu CEO: we're 'complementary' to cable -- Engadget
Translation: We're going to make sure this site makes ditching cable as unattractive as possible.

Hands-on with Hulu Plus via Samsung HDTV, iPhone and iPad -- Engadget
More bad news; not every show that is on Hulu is also on Hulu Plus -- a few shows on USA for example -- so Plus isn't really a accurate name.
Huh?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2010, 12:04 PM

The iPhone app works really well. It has a bunch of sample shows you can access without signing up. The interface is nice and the videos look great.

Still not worth paying for, but it seems like a slick setup.

Forum Links
Forum Rules