Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iTunes keeps syncing purchased crap to the iPhone

iTunes keeps syncing purchased crap to the iPhone
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2012, 05:57 PM

Hey folks,

iPhone 4S, Mac OS X 10.6.8, iTunes newest.

WiFi sync keeps dumping material I got through Apple's "12 Days of Christmas" onto the iPhone. Not all of it—some. Music and music videos.

It is not on any of the playlists that are set to sync up.

Changing auto-download settings on the iPhone makes no difference (plus, it's not actually pulling everything—just some. Also, it's running locally through WiFi sync, not through iCloud).

I delete it off the iPhone, and it is re-synced.

Anybody have any idea why?

(I could un-check the offending titles in iTunes or delete them outright, but I'd much rather figure out what the **** is going on.)
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Jun 5, 2012 at 06:07 PM. )

Spheric Harlot  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2012, 03:02 PM

The lack of responses to this thread makes me sad.

Thorzdad
Jun 6, 2012, 03:20 PM

Does it still happen if you do an old-tyme wired sync?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2012, 03:54 PM

I could un-check the offending titles in iTunes …
Sorry to state the obvious but have you actually tried this.? I don't know about WiFi sync but over wire, that's how you are supposed to prevent them from syncing, un-checking those you don't want in your iOS device.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2012, 04:06 PM

I've had this problem: apps and media I've deleted from the phone showing up again after a sync or "Update All" in the App Store. Very annoying.

Spheric Harlot  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Sorry to state the obvious but have you actually tried this.? I don't know about WiFi sync but over wire, that's how you are supposed to prevent them from syncing, un-checking those you don't want in your iOS device.
With all due respect, angel: You're not stating the obvious. I stated the obvious. You're just repeating what I said, and ignoring my reason for not wanting to go that route. Something is wrong here, and I'd rather try and figure out what, rather than work around the symptom.

And no, that is NOT how you're supposed to prevent them from syncing in all cases.

That is how you can prevent them from syncing if you have a library small enough to fit entirely on your iDevice.

The way you prevent things from syncing if your library is somewhat larger than the iDevice's capacity is to not put them into the playlists selected for synchronization. At least, that is what has been working flawlessly for the ten years I've owned iPods/iPhones, and it works flawlessly for about 70,000 titles that are NOT being synchronized to the iPhone.

Spheric Harlot  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Does it still happen if you do an old-tyme wired sync?
Yes.

Things I've tried:

Wired sync.

Adding "Purchased Items" and "Items purchased on SH's iPhone" to the synched playlists, synching, and then unchecking them again.

Switching from auto-sync to manual sync, deleting the offending crap off the iPhone, and then switching back to auto-sync.

All several times.

This is actually quite pissing me off. I don't have time for a full restore ATM, but it irks me that a nuke and pave should be the only possible solution—and my pissed-off-ness will reach critical levels if that doesn't help, so I'm somewhat leery of doing that.

snowconesandwich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2012, 08:01 AM

I believe that it is linked somehow to the apple ID, not to the device itself. Try creating a new Apple ID and use that instead of the one you have right now. See if it happens again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules