Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacPro 1.1 Bricked?

MacPro 1.1 Bricked?
jwa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2015, 09:21 AM

History: MacPro 1.1 (12Gig, upgraded with two XEON 4 core CPUs, Booting into Mavericks or Yosemite). SMC fan control installed. System 34 -48 degrees depending on load. Started to experience issues with changing boot disk.... saw the problems with building boot cache files which I have seen on the internet.

Actions: Reset SMC by powering down, plug out, plug in, restart. Reset NVRAM by keyboard/boot combination. No change. Executed terminal command as root to change boot disk: bless -mount /Volumes/MyDriveThatIWantToBoot -setBoot.

Results: Computer powers up, no startup chime, disks spin. No video. USB connectors do not illuminate CAPS Lock on working keyboard. RAM LEDs do not show problems. Logic Board CPU A,B are RED. Other LEDs are OK including power LEDs when button pressed. No change to pushing the System Reset button or the SMC button per manual info. No change removing memory and powering up. No change removing ATI Radeon card from PCI slot but leaving its cord plugged in. No change removing all the drives and powering up. CD drive does not open on power up.

The only thing I can think to do at this point is to replace the CPUs with original 2.66 dual cores.

Any suggestions???????

P
Apr 29, 2015, 12:20 PM

My first thing to try would be the power supply. It is unlikely that both CPUs died at the same time. The other option I can think of is the motherboard dying. That model is getting old now things wear out. Are there any bulging caps on the motherboard and/or PSU?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jwa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2015, 12:45 PM

A general view with a flashlight did not reveal any bad capacitors. I will try to find some power supply diagnostic procedures on the internet. Thanks for the quick reply.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 29, 2015, 01:35 PM

IF you can get a hold of the old Apple Hardware Test CDs somehow, that's your best bet.

I'm leaning towards the power supply too.

jwa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2015, 01:52 PM

Fixed I think. Pulling the battery while following these procedures seems to get me back up. mavericks boots. I need to rework the Yosemite hack install.
LED 2 CPU B (Lower Processor) Error
LED 3 CPU A (Upper Processor) Error
Normally off. These LEDs come on if an error occurs or if the BootROM is corrupted. They do not
depend on the DIAG_LED button being pressed.
Related symptoms include no video or the computer is hung up. If the BootROM is corrupted,
the optical drive tray should eject, prompting for the insertion of a recovery disc to restore the
BootROM.
Troubleshooting:
With the computer booted, up press the SYS_RST switch. If this clears the CPU Error LED,
check for incompatible device driver software that may have been installed for added
hardware.
If the Error LED is still on, power down the computer and try pressing the SMC_RST switch.
Restart the computer.
Reset the power supply by unplugging the AC cord for 10 seconds.
Unplug AC cord and remove any added DIMMs and PCI Express cards. If this causes the
LED to go off, repopulate the DIMMs and/or PCI Express cards to find the combination that
caused the LED to come on. Overheated memory could be a possible cause for this CPU
error LED to come on. Check fan operation.
Unplug the AC cord and remove the battery for 10 seconds. You may need to remove a PCI
Express card to get to the battery. Reinstall the battery and restart the computer.
Try swapping CPU A and CPU B locations. If the CPU Error LED follows the CPU, replace that
CPU.
Try replacing the logic board.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 29, 2015, 02:28 PM

Ah, you see? I completely missed the Yosemite/Mav hack in your original post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules