Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Verizon Cell Phone Problems--Any Ideas?

Verizon Cell Phone Problems--Any Ideas?
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2004, 03:55 PM

My girlfriend has Verizon's wireless phone service and an Audiovox CDM-8600 phone. For some reason, when she tries to talk on her phone from inside her apartment, there are random patches of no service and when she walks into those areas, she can still her the other person on the line just fine, but the other person can't hear what she's saying. It's so weird because it really just happens here at her apartment and it only cuts out what she's saying. Does anybody here who knows a lot about cell phones have any idea what might be causing this? Thanks.
Apple user since 1987

DarwinX
Dec 22, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
My girlfriend has Verizon's wireless phone service and an Audiovox CDM-8600 phone. For some reason, when she tries to talk on her phone from inside her apartment, there are random patches of no service and when she walks into those areas, she can still her the other person on the line just fine, but the other person can't hear what she's saying. It's so weird because it really just happens here at her apartment and it only cuts out what she's saying. Does anybody here who knows a lot about cell phones have any idea what might be causing this? Thanks.
Does this happen only when standing in that location? I had a problem for a long time of people not being able to hear me but I could hear them. This problem turned out to be after using my hands-free device, the cell phone got stuck in a state of thinking the hands-free device was in use when it wasn't plug in at all, thus the internal mic on the phone didn't work. I doubt that'll help, but best of luck!

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2004, 04:11 PM

It happens in various locations around her apartment. It's like there are these little pockets of no service floating around in mid-air and unless you stand completely still in a place by the window, you'll wind up hitting one of these pockets and experience the cutting out. I just don't know what it could be about being inside this apartment that would cause it to go from full signal strength to NO signal. It's just a typical single story, poorly insulated apartment. Not some high-rise building or something (we're in Texas). So...I don't get it.
Apple user since 1987

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2004, 04:44 PM

I have the same problem with Verizon, and it doesn't matter which model phone OR my location.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2004, 05:03 PM

would the rebar in a concrete building effectively work as a faraday cage?

i'm not too up on the wavelength of a cellphone signal.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 05:24 PM

welcome to the world of cell phones, imo.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules