Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.3 observations

10.4.3 observations (Page 4)
Voodoogmr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 12:55 PM

I installed 10.4.3 on my new iBook. So far, everything seems to work fine. The only 3rd party app I have installed is Firefox, and both 1.5 Beta 2 and the new RC1 work fine. Hope it goes just as smoothly on my iMac.
iMac 24", 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 750GB hdd
Powerbook G4, 12", 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB hdd
iPod 5G - 30GB

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 01:29 PM

The only bad thing I've noticed on my Rev. C DP 2.0 is it takes a few extra seconds to wake from sleep. I don't care.

rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2005, 01:43 PM

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but 10.4.3 adds the "Architecture" (PowerPC, Intel or both) field to the browser view in the Finder when you click on an application.

crooner
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 01:49 PM

I read somewhere that people were having problems accessing Bank of America's web page with the 10.4.3 version of Safari.

http://www.bankofamerica.com/

Can anyone confirm this or are users able to use their online banking?

Appreciate the help.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by crooner
I read somewhere that people were having problems accessing Bank of America's web page with the 10.4.3 version of Safari.

http://www.bankofamerica.com/

Appreciate the help.
I have BoA and just checked it out before seeing your post. No problems whatsoever (using SiteKey to log on).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

voo
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 02:55 PM

Theres another thing with Safari I wonder if anyone is getting this aswell... upon first launch say after you switch the computer on or clear Safari's cache, load these forums/Macthemes forums or anything with lots of graphics, Safari seems to lag while scrolling just before the page loads. It is quite jerky like its sucking alot of CPU after that it is smooth. Even with 4.2 during and after page loads it was smooth.

Wonder if anyone is experiencing this?

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by jasong
Think of it as urban myth . . .
Tell that to MacFixit.

voo
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by saddino
Yep, that seems to be the case for me. I had this problem in 10.4.0 and 10.4.1 and switched the Enregy Saver "Processor Performance" to "Highest" to deal with it (read about that on MacFixIt; it took care of the problem for me). 10.4.2 apparently fixed this, so I went back to using "Automatic" and all was fine. Now the spinning fans are back, but still nowhere as bad as they were in 10.4.0 and 10.4.1. Flash animations in Safari seem to be a sure trigger.
Flash sure does, I find the spinning up bloody annoying as the fans are far from quiet. Heck the fans slightly spin up even with the flurry screensaver. For me .4.2 hardly spun up the fans unless it was pretty intense but it sure does spin up the least little thing now with .4.3!

I find it so lame now, its just super sensitive :/

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 07:43 PM

Has anyone else had Safari get . . . hungry? I just checked its memory usage and it was taking 1.06GB of VM. Needless to say, Safari was getting a little pokey. Quitting and reopening it cleared it up, but I wonder how long until it comes back.

If it keeps up, I'll try the delta release. Who knows alpha, maybe I'll eat my words . . .
-- Jason

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 2, 2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by jasong
Has anyone else had Safari get . . . hungry? I just checked its memory usage and it was taking 1.06GB of VM. Needless to say, Safari was getting a little pokey. Quitting and reopening it cleared it up, but I wonder how long until it comes back.

If it keeps up, I'll try the delta release. Who knows alpha, maybe I'll eat my words . . .
You need to look at 'real' not 'virtual'. It doesn't really matter how big virtual gets.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
I have BoA and just checked it out before seeing your post. No problems whatsoever (using SiteKey to log on).
I don't have any problem with BoA as well.

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jerk_circus
is anyone else having weird artifacts on the corners of their itunes?I thought it might be my shapeshifter, but i reverted to aqua, and they were still there. I reinstalled itunes and the artifacts were still there, but different....they were sort of transparent. i just reapplied an SS theme and they're back.

Thats only a minor problem tough....Everything is much "snappier" I will admit, but my fans are blowing like CRAZY now! My G5 use to be silent, and now it sounds like an airplane ready to take off! I checked activity monitor to view the CPU usage, but the system was 96-97% idle... Anyone one else experience this? BTW, this is the first time I've ever had a problem with any Os X update.

Original G5 Dual 2.0
1gb Sdram
23" ACD
ss installed.
it worked fine under 10.4.2...
I also have the Dual G5 2.0 and I have the same issue with my fans frequently ramping up and down since I have updated to 10.4.3. Also now when I run the RSS Visualizer screensaver it is real jerky and it was really smooth before the update.

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jerk_circus
is anyone else having weird artifacts on the corners of their itunes?I thought it might be my shapeshifter, but i reverted to aqua, and they were still there. I reinstalled itunes and the artifacts were still there, but different....they were sort of transparent. i just reapplied an SS theme and they're back.

Thats only a minor problem tough....Everything is much "snappier" I will admit, but my fans are blowing like CRAZY now! My G5 use to be silent, and now it sounds like an airplane ready to take off! I checked activity monitor to view the CPU usage, but the system was 96-97% idle... Anyone one else experience this? BTW, this is the first time I've ever had a problem with any Os X update.

Original G5 Dual 2.0
1gb Sdram
23" ACD
ss installed.
it worked fine under 10.4.2...
I just checked and I don't seem to have the artifact issue in iTunes on my dual G5 2.0 but this fan noise sucks!
( Last edited by GreenwoodMO; Nov 2, 2005 at 10:52 PM. )

voo
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by GreenwoodMO
I also have the Dual G5 2.0 and I have the same issue with my fans frequently ramping up and down since I have updated to 10.4.3. Also now when I run the RSS Visualizer screensaver it is real jerky and it was really smooth before the update.
Just curious whats your processor performance set at?

Jerk_circus
Nov 2, 2005, 11:53 PM

Mine is set at Automatic. I checked that too thinking maybe 10.4.3 set it to highest.....I'm going to back every thing up and try formatting. Anyone have any better suggestions? or knows that formatting wont help so I dont have to waste my time? Hehee!

voo
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 12:10 AM

erm... http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300341

I've set mine to Highest for now, it hardly makes a peep. Did have it on Automatic since day one but really only laptop users need Automatic.

Nyl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2005, 04:21 AM

i had major problems on my pb 15" right after i updated it to 10.4.3 ... the os only works for the first 30 second n froze after that.... i tried resetting PR ram n it was still the same, eventually i had to reinstall my os... i'm hesitating if i should go for it one more time

yongfook
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 11:05 AM

My iMac 20" G5 (pre-FrontRow) is misbehaving after this update. Fan goes on full blast after a few minutes from fresh boot.

hmmm
http://www.yongfook.com

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 04:26 PM

ver since I updated to Mac OS X 10.4.3, I've been having weird icons happening. I'll save an .ai file from Illustrator and the icon will show up as a Preview.app document and when I double click it, it opens in Illustrator.

Today I saved a PDF (from Illustrator) and it too showed up as a Preview.app document and when I double click it, it opens in Acrobat Reader... and another weird thing is... in the Finder it says that the file size is "Zero KB".

I tried resetting my Launch Services and it didn't fix the problem. Just to be clear, I didn't have this problem before I updated to 10.4.3. Is anyone else having any similar problems to this?

(At least I didn't talk about menus this time )

EDIT: Here's an image of what it looks like:

Also, can someone please let me know how to post a thread? Safari keeps timing out every time I try and I am not doing anything wrong. I used to be able to post threads and it says below than I can post threads. I even tried using a different user name and that didn't work either... is anyone else having trouble posting topics?

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 04:37 PM

Dear TheSpaz...
It's not just you...
Some have alleged in The Lounge that tech support is working on it.
I've been able to start only ONCE out of 20 attempts this week.
Worst of all: could not post a thread about trouble posting threads>

Fortunately someone (in lounge) was able to...
Does NOT seem dependent on what browser I operate from: some db issue on forums' server.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
ver since I updated to Mac OS X 10.4.3, I've been having weird icons happening. I'll save an .ai file from Illustrator and the icon will show up as a Preview.app document and when I double click it, it opens in Illustrator.
Delete the following file in /Library/Caches/

com.apple.LaunchServices or get TinkerTool and use the clear caches function.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 05:28 PM

I tried resetting my Launch Services and it didn't fix the problem. Just to be clear, I didn't have this problem before I updated to 10.4.3. Is anyone else having any similar problems to this?
As stated above... I already tried deleting the Launch Services... Besides... Tinkertool doesn't even have an option for deleting the Launch Services cache. It's more of an icon problem... not a Launch Services problem because the file still OPENS in the correct App while still keeping the WRONG icon for some reason.

jam8
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 06:13 PM

Does anyone know if iScroll works with 10.4.3?

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 07:09 PM

I cannot post new threads as of 11/01/05. Can an administrator please fix this for me?
I wished that is European date: 11 January 2005 hehehehe!

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by voo
Just curious whats your processor performance set at?
I had it set on Automatic and I set it to Highest and the fans are as quiet as can be now. Sweet!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 09:49 PM

As stated above... I already tried deleting the Launch Services... Besides... Tinkertool doesn't even have an option for deleting the Launch Services cache. It's more of an icon problem... not a Launch Services problem because the file still OPENS in the correct App while still keeping the WRONG icon for some reason.
Sorry, I missed that. However, I have seen the icon problem go away after deleting said files. Often times, there are multiple files relating to launch services in the caches folder.

TinkerTool has also fixed some other related problems with icons. I know all to well, as I get to support OS X 10.4 for Apple while its users work with my software. 10.4 has been a mess of problems in this regard. I make mistakes sometimes in bundling my app, but those involving icons, and launch services all started with OS X 10.4, things that have worked on pre 10.4 quite well without problems.

voo
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by GreenwoodMO
I had it set on Automatic and I set it to Highest and the fans are as quiet as can be now. Sweet!
That seems to have done the trick for Automatic, more or less the same whirs with .4.2 http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300341

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 10:24 PM

It's sad... why can't Mac OS X be able to tell what App to open files in?

Here's the deal with Tiger. Mac OS X 10.4 uses file EXTENSIONS to decide what App to open it in but, some Apps can open the same extension... so what App will be the default? Lets say a file was created in Illustrator CS and is emailed to me... the icon is NOT an Illustrator icon but, a Preview icon and it opens in Preview by default. I do not want this... so I choose to have all ".ai" files to open in Illustrator.... this comes with problems as well... most of our archived files are compressed with Disk Doubler (It's old... I know) and Disk Doubler liked to leave the file extension on the name... so when you go to double click one with .ai, it opens in Illustrator and says the file is corrupt! This is very wrong... it should automatically ONLY open in Disk Doubler until it is uncompressed.

Another thing is... if I choose all files with the extension "PDF" to open ONLY in Acrobat Reader... it screws up other files as well. Tiger, for some reason, thinks Illustrator 9 files are PDFs so every Illustrator 9 file (shows an Illustrator 9 icon) will open in Acrobat Reader (which reader cannot view because AI 9 files are not PDF compatible.)

I wish Apple would re-think the file extension problems... they really start to annoy me after a while... Panther was so good about this kind of stuff... I NEVER had a problem in Panther opening files... if a file was created in Illustrator CS, it opened in Illustrator CS no matter WHAT the extension is.

DarwinX
Nov 3, 2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by jam8
Does anyone know if iScroll works with 10.4.3?
So far so good for me

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2005, 10:45 PM

TheSpaz: There is a prefpane called RCDefaultApp that may help you sort out your default app weirdness.
I've used it moderately successfully to fix or work around similar issues to the ones you describe.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14618

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2005, 11:30 PM

I wish Apple would re-think the file extension problems... they really start to annoy me after a while... Panther was so good about this kind of stuff... I NEVER had a problem in Panther opening files... if a file was created in Illustrator CS, it opened in Illustrator CS no matter WHAT the extension is.
Apple are moving towards UTIs as the primary way to identify the contents of files.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Thinine
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 02:48 AM

Method of identifying which applications to open file types hasn't changed between Panther and Tiger. At all.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2005, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Thinine
Method of identifying which applications to open file types hasn't changed between Panther and Tiger. At all.
You... are wrong.

Before Tiger... I never had any of those problems opening files at all. First of all... in Panther, the icons for files were correct. Second of all... when I told the Finder to open all PDF documents in Acrobat, it did not open .ai files as well. Something is totally screwed up with the way Tiger handles file types.

Please tell me how to get my files back to the Panther way... I'd like to know.

Oh, and I've already trashed all my Launch Services files and it's still not the way Panther was.

I'm just telling you what I see. Can you prove that the "Method of identifying which applications to open file types hasn't changed between Panther and Tiger. At all."?

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2005, 04:49 AM

You... are wrong.

Before Tiger... I never had any of those problems opening files at all. First of all... in Panther, the icons for files were correct. Second of all... when I told the Finder to open all PDF documents in Acrobat, it did not open .ai files as well. Something is totally screwed up with the way Tiger handles file types.

Please tell me how to get my files back to the Panther way... I'd like to know.

Oh, and I've already trashed all my Launch Services files and it's still not the way Panther was.

I'm just telling you what I see. Can you prove that the "Method of identifying which applications to open file types hasn't changed between Panther and Tiger. At all."?
Whether your files open in Adobe apps or not should have nothing to do with the file extension (if there is one). When Photoshop and Illustrator save files, they include instructions in the resource fork to open the file in Photoshop or Illustrator instead of the system default for that type of file.

If files are not opening in the correct apps on your computer, something weird has happened to hose up your system. Like Thinine, I have not noticed any difference in how Tiger opens files, and I work with PSD, AI, and PDF files all day long.

The fact that your icons are messed up is further proof something is screwy on your particular machine (which is unfortunate). It's possible some searching at Google and the Apple discussion forums might yield a fix.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 09:59 AM

Ensure that your target application for opening specific file types is named xxxx.app If this .app extension is omitted, it will do some odd things with documents associated with that application.

emark
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 01:40 PM

Noticeable boost in frame rates and "snappier" performance within UT 04...I have Nvidia gf 4Ti and unlike problems reported w/ WOW seen huge difference for me and my quicksilver dual 800 in the game and across the GUI in general.

emark
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2005, 01:44 PM

huge improvement between 10.4.2 and 10.4.3: finally fixed the dialog for adding LPD network printers such that name and address aren't jumbled...

spent hours working through this issue w/ 10.4.2 and found numerous others w/ similar problems....All better.

For the guy with broken printer and scanner, it seems that you need to reinstall the drivers w/ every system update. Don't know enough to know why, just know it's so.

HP had released some comprehensive overhauls to drivers, and includes "image zone" software that is iPhoto aware (though I haven't futzed w/ it yet) as part of driver updgrade. First install on powermac got a runaway thread w/ this, uninstalled, reinstalled, no problems.

notaclone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by crooner
Chase is fine, Citibank is fine, FirstUSA is fine, and as par usual, I still can't load the Java side bar on Morgan Stanley, who treats Mac owners as second class citizens by seeing fit to hire novices who know how to program for only IE and nothing else. I wonder if their financial advisors are of the same quality level? At Least Firefox tells me the Java Applet failed to load. No feedback from Safari that anything is missing at all.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by notaclone
Chase is fine, Citibank is fine, FirstUSA is fine, and as par usual, I still can't load the Java side bar on Morgan Stanley, who treats Mac owners as second class citizens by seeing fit to hire novices who know how to program for only IE and nothing else. I wonder if their financial advisors are of the same quality level? At Least Firefox tells me the Java Applet failed to load. No feedback from Safari that anything is missing at all.
In general, Firefox is better in giving feedback if something isn't working. Safari simply doesn't load.

Voodoogmr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 06:31 PM

I installed 10.4.3 on my iMac G5. After I did, iMovie would no longer let me do any direct trimming of clips in the timeline. I tried restarting, creating a new project, using different video clips and still photos, etc. Nothing worked. This didn't happen on my iBook. I have no software hacks or anything on the iMac. Trashing the preference file fixed it though.

I'm so glad I've been reading these forums. Otherwise, this ex-Windows user would have been completely clueless about troubleshooting this. Thanks everyone!
iMac 24", 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 750GB hdd
Powerbook G4, 12", 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB hdd
iPod 5G - 30GB

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2005, 07:58 PM

Okay... lets say... you save an EPS from Quark. You cannot open .eps files in Quark directly... so you must open them in Illustrator. You can drag the .eps file onto Illustrator and it will open but, you can save yourself from dragging by choosing "get info" and telling it to open all files like this in Illustrator.

You think you're all set right? Wrong. You find an eps and you double click it... aha... Illustrator opens up but, there's a problem... uh oh... this file is not vector based. Oh, what's this? It's a Photoshop EPS file? Wow, who would have thought? It has an Illustrator icon!

The best way to keep all of this CRAP from happening is to reset your Launch Services and just LEAVE it that way. Do NOT use the "open all with this app" option... it just screws everything up.

By the way... That default app Preference pane is sweet.... I almost have my file system operating like Panthers... it's too bad you have to use 3rd party software to fix what Apple should have already done.

chme6583
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 09:00 PM

I am having problems with my Mac Mini since updating to 10.4.3.
  • The fans never stop, before I didn't know they where there.
  • The only program open is Safari and it is using 70% of my computer power.

What is going on?

I have emptyed the cache files, fixed disc permissions. What else can I do?

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by chme6583
Did you read this thread completely? There are some people saying unplugging seems to work?

chme6583
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 09:07 PM

I tried that too, even reset the pmu.

Oh yeah, one more problem my sound from the speakers has decreased significantly.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
TheSpaz: There is a prefpane called RCDefaultApp that may help you sort out your default app weirdness.
I've used it moderately successfully to fix or work around similar issues to the ones you describe.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14618
That is awesome..... I've been hoping apple would add a preference pane similar to this ever since I moved to OSX. Why it didn't occur to me to look for a 3rd party version I dunno.

Thanks!!

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 09:09 PM

[*]The fans never stop...
Fans? Like multiple fans? In a mini?

chme6583
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Appleman
Fans? Like multiple fans? In a mini?
I don't know, I didn't make the machine. It sure sounds loud though.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 09:28 PM

• The fans never stop, before I didn't know they where there.
  • The only program open is Safari and it is using 70% of my computer power.

What is going on?

Have a look here: http://www.macfixit.com/

chme6583
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 09:59 PM

Appleman,

Thanks for your help!! I have fixed the fan noise; I downloaded the combo update from the Apple website and now it is running quiet again.

Still having trouble with the decreased sound from the speakers though.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2005, 12:57 AM

Another nice thing I've noticed: folders kept in the Dock open much faster when right-clicked. I used to wait 5-10 seconds while OS X re-read the folder's contents from the disk. Not any more.

One more example of 10.4.3's memory managing improvements, I think. Tiger is now way better than Panther was.

Forum Links
Forum Rules