Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Can LCDs "burn-in"? How to prevent??

Can LCDs "burn-in"? How to prevent??
chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 03:36 AM

I always thought that LCDs didn't suffer from burn-ins. But, recently, I've been noticing some lines on my screen where I normally park some of my windows. What can be done to prevent/fix this? Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2006, 03:47 AM

Yep, it certainly can happen. Apple had problems with it on some of their displays (they call it "persistant image" or somesuch).

edit: Found the article at Apple.com on it.

chefpastry  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll give the white screen trick a shot. I don't know why I always believed that LCDs were immune to this... It was an important factor when I was making my decision to buy either an LCD or Plasma TV.

chefpastry  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2006, 06:31 PM

I just wanted to report back that following the prescribed method fixed my problem. Thanks again, mduell!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 27, 2006, 07:19 PM

Technically speaking, this isn't burn-in in the same sense as CRT monitors burn-in. That is usually permanent and takes a lot longer to occur. This kind of thing can be a little annoying, but it does go away in my experience.

tigas
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2006, 08:16 PM

Well, not really. After several years of running OS9 day in day out, and now having been upgraded to OSX for the last two years, the LCD still has the shadow of OS9's menu. You can only see it faintly when the blue screen of startup or shudown is showing, but it's there. It's an old LCD, though: an Hercules 1024x768 15".

My advice is to set the Energy Saver to put the screen to sleep: it will save the backlight and the screen better than a screensaver.

Louis918
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2006, 09:08 PM

I've seen some 5g ipods with this problem in a couple of apple stores already...you have to figure those lcds take some abuse though.
12 PowerBook G4 867mhz Rev.A 640mb, PowerBook G3 Pismo 400mhz 768mb, Mac OS X (10.3.9) PowerBook G3 Lombard 433mhz, 512mb, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 02:15 AM

(no, LCDs do not burn in, but Flying Toasters are cool!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules