Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Japan theme nearing completing, need some more suggestions.

Japan theme nearing completing, need some more suggestions.
Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2006, 05:35 PM

Update: I thought I would post a grey version for those of you who really wanted a grey one. Just to prove this was easily made with GUItweak and you should stop requesting me to make a variant

Firstly, I'd like some opinions on how the scroll bar looks. How I have it now is that the track is color with a 4px white border and the scroll bar itself is just white. It gives an interesting negative space effect, but other solutions might be more useful. Other options are having the scroll track completely color with a white scrollbar, or having the track be completely white with the scroll bar being completely color or color with a 4px white border. Here's how it looks at the moment:

The border here is only visible because it's the SS theme preview

My second question pertains to buttons. For normal buttons with text on them I have been making the inactive state the same as the normal state assuming the grayed out text would be enough for users to tell that it's inactive. But when I moved on to the circular buttons I realized that I wouldn't be able to use the same principle so I made the inactive completely white (same with the sliders). Should I keep the two button styles different like this or should I make the inactive text buttons white too?

And here's a full screen screenshot to show off progress... As you can see the background window in themepark the column view is using a grey color for the selection, can I change that? I'm almost sure I've looked through all the 'text colors' but I could have missed one (and TP often doesn't save my progress with text colors).

click to enlarge

Oh, and it couldn't hurt to ask again: Is there still no way to change the grey content border in the finder?

Any other suggestions are still welcome.
( Last edited by Syzygy; May 11, 2006 at 02:45 AM. )

g3bb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 11:49 PM

As you can see the background window in themepark the column view is using a grey color for the selection, can I change that?
Yes you can. Go to System Prefs -> Appearance -> and choose a different color from the Highlight Color popup menu.

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by g3bb
As you can see the background window in themepark the column view is using a grey color for the selection, can I change that?
Yes you can. Go to System Prefs -> Appearance -> and choose a different color from the Highlight Color popup menu.
Ah yes... I remember this crossing my mind. I was hoping it wasn't this because I would want it to be 'white' but when selecting normal text white doesn't work at all.

FB Eye
Senior User
May 3, 2006, 09:33 AM

I dig this theme alot!!!

The only thing that bugs me immediately is the thickness of the white stroke that you have around titlebars, menus, etc. Can you make it thinner by a few pixels? It bugs me the most around the Finder's view buttons. Or maybe make a "light" version of the theme with thinner white stroke?

That being said, I think the color choice and simplicity of it makes it a winner. But personnaly, that thick border would probably keep me from using the theme for a long time...

Thanks for considering my feedback!

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2006, 11:44 AM

Very nice. Theme!
Can't wait for the release.
Maybe you could allow for a small (1pix?) border around the scroll bar trough? That way it would look nicely segregated from the main window. As they are now, I see a tendency for the scroll bar area to get lost.
Something I consider in a theme of fine quality is how accessible to the eye are all of its parts. One needs to be able to find the scroll nib as fast as they desire.

my 2¢

R

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by FB Eye
That being said, I think the color choice and simplicity of it makes it a winner. But personnaly, that thick border would probably keep me from using the theme for a long time...
I'll definitely start a thin variant, but I think it's in my best interest to finish the first one first as I'm terrible at finishing things I probably would have dropped this theme already if it weren't for the enthusiasm of a few people on the forum

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by G0Ducks
Maybe you could allow for a small (1pix?) border around the scroll bar trough? That way it would look nicely segregated from the main window. As they are now, I see a tendency for the scroll bar area to get lost.
Hmm... not a bad idea. I'll try it out.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 09:44 AM

Looking good I agree with the other opinions and got something to add: could you make the borders in the finder window(column view) stand out more?

Keep up the good work, believe in the theme, so we can all enjoy it one day
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sijmen
Looking good I agree with the other opinions and got something to add: could you make the borders in the finder window(column view) stand out more?

Keep up the good work, believe in the theme, so we can all enjoy it one day
You mean like the scroll bars? I had planned to do something about that...

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2006, 02:50 AM

Very nice update. Glad to see that GUITweak takes so well. Don't make any variants please... just finish already! hehe...

R

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Syzygy
You mean like the scroll bars? I had planned to do something about that...

I guess I commented on that too soon

Anyway, as for my taste, I don't like the grey one very much, but I guess I can make it different colors using GUITweak? Never used that before though....

I agree with G0Ducks, but do please take your time
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2006, 11:33 AM

1. change the resize quadrant to something to match the rest of the theme or loose it completely.
2. The grey content border - by this you are referring to the wells? they are tricky to theme - in there are a whole lot of parts but I believe you can get rid of it. Some of the more graphic interface creators like Gerrit have it nailed.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2006, 01:10 PM

Good point about the resize thingy eyevaan. You know, now that I think of it, a Japanese theme would have that area be in relationship with the other corner widgets (toolbar, close, min, grow.) Balance... This theme is so nice in its square symmetry, it would be a shame to have it have that yooglie windows-like resize thingy..

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by eyevaan
1. change the resize quadrant to something to match the rest of the theme or loose it completely.
2. The grey content border - by this you are referring to the wells? they are tricky to theme - in there are a whole lot of parts but I believe you can get rid of it. Some of the more graphic interface creators like Gerrit have it nailed.
1. If everything were already themed I would release a beta
2. I suppose you could call them wells, but they are closer to what shapeshifter calls content borders. The grey border around the finder sidebar, and around the area that has the file viewer.

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 02:29 PM

Good point about the resize thingy eyevaan. You know, now that I think of it, a Japanese theme would have that area be in relationship with the other corner widgets (toolbar, close, min, grow.) Balance... This theme is so nice in its square symmetry, it would be a shame to have it have that yooglie windows-like resize thingy..
Well, I was planning on having it be a white triangle.
(look at the full screenshot -- the grow box on the iChat buddy list)

Actually, I just assumed you guys were talking about the unthemed one in the finder... you aren't talking about the iChat one, are you?

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2006, 02:50 PM

I didn't look close enough at the iChat window. That is exactly what I had in mind . . . then again GoDucks might have an idea there. then again MHO might not be worth a damn.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2006, 10:06 PM

How is this coming along? Can't wait to use

Yerz,

R

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 04:29 AM

How is this coming along? Can't wait to use

Yerz,

R
I'm pretty much at the point where 99% of what you see is themed, but only like 60% of the theme is actually complete. I'm thinking about releasing a beta version of some sort as I think my pace will slow down toward the end as the work to visible results ratio gets bigger

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2006, 06:45 AM

If you'd go for a beta tester instead of a beta release, ahum ahum…
One suggestion would be for you to come up with another name. As things are now, your theme could be mistaken as a mac port of the original 4imp Japan04.
Looking forward to see your work

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2006, 01:02 PM

*double ahem* I personally know someone *looks at self* who would love to test drive said theme. The name of the theme seems fine to me, though I have not seen the one Mentioned by Mr.GeeVano.

What ever you name it... Make it available to those who will give you great comments and feedback.

PM me...

R

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 06:21 PM

The name of the theme seems fine to me, though I have not seen the one Mentioned by Mr.GeeVano.
Well I think what Gerrit is saying is that I don't want to give it the same name as it isn't a port of the theme, and I believe using the same name would be some sort of copyright infringement. As it really isn't a port, and simply is similar to it, I think it deserves a new name anyway.

Make it available to those who will give you great comments and feedback.
Of course

bentoon
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2006, 10:23 PM

Very Beautiful !

Forum Links
Forum Rules