Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Odd Power Problems

Odd Power Problems
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2001, 05:49 PM

Yesterday, my dual USB iBook really freaked me out when all of the sudden, the Shutdown/Restart/Sleep window appeared on my screen and the iBook went dead. It had shut down on its own. I pressed the Startup button to boot it back up, but it wouldn't. I tried disconnecting all peripherals, but that still didn't help. Finally, I manually removed the DVD movie I was watching and removed and replaced the battery. Luckily, it started up. I don't know what caused this, but I seem to remember reading about some power problems on the new iBooks a while back. Can anybody shed some light here?
Apple user since 1987

graphics84
Senior User
Aug 16, 2001, 06:03 PM

a cause could have been the power supply...

It sounds to simple but my ibook is extremly sensitive to the power plug... when I plug it in I have to watch and see if it's getting power before I can move on... it's a real pain the ass

could you have moved it (disconecting the power cord) after you started your movie and the battery just drained of power? When you have the DVD runing it'll over shadow the energy warning sometimes (or it used to in my other PBs)... and a DVD spining uses a lot of power

I hate how touchy these power adaptors are...

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2001, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by graphics84:
<STRONG>I hate how touchy these power adaptors are...</STRONG>
Yes, my only real gripe with my new dual USB iBook over my former original model Tangerine iBook is that it is really hard to tell if you have the AC adapter plugged in correctly. Hopefully, with OS X 10.1 I will be able to use the menu addition battery display, but for now I really miss the green/orange glow from around the AD adapter plug. It was very easy to tell if it was charging, full, or plugged in at all!

STAT, chances are that you were running on battery power and the AC adapter was not entirely seated correctly. When the battery runs out the machine goes to sleep. You say you "replaced the battery" did you put a whole new battery in? I bet the other one doesn't have any LEDs showing a charge. Or maybe when you were unplugging everything you got the AC adapter seated correctly and you could then boot from the AC power.

-Doug

<MACMan>
Aug 16, 2001, 11:36 PM

My iBook 2001 just got sent off for repair. The power plug inside the machine was not centered within the opening and would not get a stable connection without a lot of work. As far as I know, issues such as these are covered under warranty.

<Pablo>
Aug 24, 2001, 12:30 PM

Just to let you know, I have been having the same problem with my
new ibook. The power adapter does not make a tight fit into the
computer. I don't know if I should call apple on this one.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2001, 01:37 PM

I was on the phone with Apple Tech Support for a couple hours regarding this issue yesterday. The final conclusion was that I should send the machine in. The problem's just so random that I can't seem to find a pattern. It really sucks because I just sold my Yosemite last week and school's about to startup here on Monday. But I figure it'd be better to go ahead and get it taken care of before things really get going rather than wait. So Apple's supposed to be sending me a box and I'll play the whole warranty return game.
Apple user since 1987

<STAT>
Aug 30, 2001, 02:07 PM

Well, my machine's still in the shop and isn't expected to be ready until the middle of next week, but here's what I know so far... The problem with my machine's power is related to the AC Inboard, which is a fancy way of saying that the power plug on the side is loose internally, and is causing some shortage problems, even when using just the battery. The person I spoke with on the phone said that quite a few people have been experiencing this issue. So anyway, they're waiting for this part that isn't expected until the 4th or so. Hopefully I'll get my machine back shortly thereafter. I'll post more when I learn more.

Taloston Man
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2001, 02:22 PM

I never really considered the idea of internal fault on my adapter.
While it isn't really too loose at all on the actualy external part of the plug, I DO usually have to sit with it being fidgety for about two minutes each time I plug it into AC power to charge. It always gets charging when those two or three minutes are done, but you're right, it IS a bit of a pain in the ass.

I heard that it was this bunch of power adapters that shipped with the first couple of months of Dual USB iBooks, and that the ones shipped out of Apple now on their own especially aren't that bad.

But I could simply be mashing reports from the different rumour sites together into one big unintelligible conundrum.

Oh, and by the way: I installed an additional 256 megs of RAM from Crucial.com this morning (arrived by FedEx to Toronto from DesMoines in two days!) and this is even more great than before! Under 10.0.4 I can keep all my applications open (Not many, but still IE, ICQ, Quicktime, iTunes, Mail, Prefs, Preview, MacSatellite, Carracho X, Classic Photoshop) and I experience approximately the same performance and "snappiness" that I had when running just IE, ICQ , Prefs and Preview with only 128!
This is great.....
This machine is now classifiable by me as "killer".
Trevor Haldenby
www.ExposedBrain.com/trevor
MacBook 2.0 GHz / 2 gigs RAM | 60GB vidiPod, Shuffle

<STAT>
Sep 2, 2001, 06:36 PM

Well, Taloston Man...I wouldn't quite classify it as killer until that power issue was resolved. I'd get it taken care of long before your warranty expires. Go ahead and call Apple Tech Support at 800-APLCARE and see what they have to say about it. The external aspect of my power port wasn't loose at all and I never experienced any positioning problems, but apparently, there were some internally. I'll keep y'all posted on the condition of my machine (when it changes).

Forum Links
Forum Rules