Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iOS 7 - Who's waiting and who can't wait?

iOS 7 - Who's waiting and who can't wait? (Page 4)
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2013, 05:31 PM

Here's my current home page, with all non iOS 7 apps banned, and Apple Maps getting another shot.

If anything, I'd say it looks a little dull.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2013, 05:48 PM

I think this screencap illustrates what I was saying earlier about iOS 7 taking effort to make work.

Weatherbug is darker than all the other apps by a significant enough margin, it becomes a crucial design element. Having it where it is weights the page heavily to the right.

Of course, it's there because that was the default weather location since iOS 1, and I've been training to have weather there since that OS.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2013, 06:34 PM

Nice, subtle touch is the background color for the keyboard is a pretty close match to the text balloons you receive.

The blue makes all your sent emoji texts look jacked to you, but what gets received looks like what you see on the emoji keyboard. I always hated having to imagine what an emoji looked like to a recipient in terms of contrasting with the balloon background.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2013, 09:17 PM

You use passbook?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 04:40 AM

Not very successfully.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 10:11 AM

I launched passbook once right after iOS 6 launched, dinked around with it for a minute and said "okay". Never had a use for it since.

What do people even do with it? Does anything actually support it?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 10:15 AM

Here's my home screen for no reason at all. It's funny how badly the 1Password and Apple Remote app look in contrast to the rest. The TiVo app as well, but it's not quite as bad.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 10:45 AM

So when and how do you think we'll see new dynamic wallpapers?

Has anyone figured out what kind of file they are? Think Apple will ever let people make their own?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Here's my home screen for no reason at all. It's funny how badly the 1Password and Apple Remote app look in contrast to the rest. The TiVo app as well, but it's not quite as bad.

And here I was thinking how nice the 1Password and Apple Remote app looked compared to the others!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 12:18 PM

It's a shame that all that work that went into icon design is now getting tossed because it's all flat now.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 12:30 PM

I launched passbook once right after iOS 6 launched, dinked around with it for a minute and said "okay". Never had a use for it since.

I use it got Starbucks and Walgreens quite a lot.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 12:36 PM

Walgreens.

What blows is I live a block from one, and the geofence trips in my apartment.

OTOH, of the last few times I actually went to the Walgreens, the fence won't trip when I'm ****ing in the store.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 12:38 PM

It's not Passports fault that you live in a drug store.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 02:04 PM

How does Walgreens use passbook?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 02:14 PM

Stores a digital version of your Walgreens card.

When working properly, if you're near a Walgreens you trip a geofence and get a "swipe to show your card" on the lock screen.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 02:33 PM

I didn't even know there was a Walgreens card. I generally avoid Walgreens, since everything there is expensive* and lame.

I do have one about 1/3 of a mile from my house though.

*And by expensive, I mean that a bag of chips at Walgreens is like $4 bucks, and it's $3 bucks everywhere else. Not the end of the world, but why go there when I can go to a grocery store or Target and get a way better selection of goods and pay less.
( Last edited by ort888; Sep 26, 2013 at 02:48 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 02:50 PM

The one near me is open 24 hours, so it gets use that way.

They also have Häagen-Dazs Pralines and Cream, which is expensive but not lame.

They also also seem relatively tech oriented. Their app lets you refill a prescription by scanning the barcode off the bottle. That's actually really nice. They'll also send you emails which you can reply to for a refill.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 03:14 PM

This is what you get, not at the Walgreens, but in my apartment.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 03:30 PM

Of course, I was too stupid to figure out I was supposed to swipe the notification on the lock screen until about a week before iOS 7, where the ability to swipe the whole screen makes it much easier to discover.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 04:18 PM

When I was a whipper-snapper I used to go there all the time. Mainly because of the 24-hour thing.

What's funny is that the same core people have worked at "my" Walgreens for the last 20 years. They have this one super surly clerk with a lazy eye who is pretty legendary around these parts.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 04:22 PM

We have the opposite. She's the absolute, most sweetest thing ever, but she's a little crazy, and chatty as all hell. There's a direct correlation with someone's lack of patience, and the desire to throttle her.

It's an interesting insight into the other cashiers' psyche to see how they deal with the unalterable fact she checks out one person for every other cashier's four.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 05:32 PM

I use it for Target coupons and Walgreens MyRewards card. Kayak puts my flight info right on my lock screen … though maddeningly it's not a scannable boarding pass. And I use this site ….

PassSource - Create Passbook passes and Manage your own custom Apple iOS 6 Passbook passes for Pass Kit for free for your iPhone

… to manually create all sorts passes. Express gift certificates and store cards like STL Bread Co. (aka Panera Bread for all you heathens out there ). I would use it for Fandango movie tickets but none of the theaters I frequent have the necessary scanning equipment yet. I might load up a CostCo card and see how that works. Anything to slim my wallet so I don't have to carry so many cards around.

OAW

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 06:02 PM

Let me know if Costco worked. That would be sweet.

-t

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Let me know if Costco worked. That would be sweet.

-t
I created a pass successfully on the site. I need to make a run this weekend so we'll see if it automatically shows up on my lock screen when I arrive and if they can scan it at the register. Will let you know.

OAW

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
STL Bread Co. (aka Panera Bread for all you heathens out there

Are you in St. Louis?

Anyway, it sounds like there are uses for passbook. It also sounds like they haven't done a good job of getting the word out.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 06:20 PM

It's interesting seeing "normal" people react to iOS 7.

In our office just about everyone has an iPhone. And, somewhat surprisingly, almost all of them upgraded to iOS 7 already.

Word has gotten around that I'm the guy to go talk to when you have iPhone problems so one by one they have all come over to ask me questions.

The most common question? "How do I force quit apps now?" It seems every single person seems to think that it's a necessary thing to go in and quit all of your apps all the time. It's the weirdest thing. I explain to them that they really don't have to and no one seems to believe me.

But mostly people just seem annoyed that everything is all different now. People don't like change.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 08:05 PM

It's not that people don't like change, it's that they don't like THAT change.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2013, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I will have to try this out. Thanks for sharing!
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2013, 11:37 PM

Yeah. That looks pretty awesome.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2013, 12:00 AM

Let's see... I use it for Delta, Starbucks, Fandango (which is really awesome), Ticketmaster, Kroger, Office Depot, and Walgreens. The more I can eliminate human contact in a transaction, the less likely it is to screw up.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2013, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
No, it's actually that people don't like change.

In six weeks' time, people will wonder about how they ever tolerated the the quaint and tacky faux-realism of iOS 6 and previous.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2013, 03:22 AM

Wrong. People don't like change in general.
This change is no different.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2013, 03:35 AM

So much for "think different".

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2013, 06:45 AM

^^ This.

It should be noted first that most people are -- "normal" and I as a fellow normal person feel that Windows 95 wants their clip art back. I mean honestly, I'm nearly certain had we been working with the interface of iOS 7 and moved back to iOS 6 as the upgrade, the more sunshiny "Apple can do no wrong" types would be heralding the new look and most normal people would've likely appreciated it as well.

Where it deserves props is in its improved functionality and for that I welcome the change. Because after all, upgrades and improvements are welcome changes. The appearance of the interface is not an upgrade and with people like subego reporting sluggishness and missing "touches", it's no wonder normal people might be looking for ways to force-quit applications.
ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2013, 07:40 AM

The force quit did seem to fix things though.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
^^ This.

It should be noted first that most people are -- "normal" and I as a fellow normal person feel that Windows 95 wants their clip art back. I mean honestly, I'm nearly certain had we been working with the interface of iOS 7 and moved back to iOS 6 as the upgrade, the more sunshiny "Apple can do no wrong" types would be heralding the new look and most normal people would've likely appreciated it as well.

It has nothing to do with that particular change.

While you're right that probably some people would enjoy the change in design If we had gone from the iOS 7 look to the now tacky and quaint-looking iOS 6, I guarantee that many the same people would be complaining, too.

Although:
From what I've read, even THALO and consorts (yes, that MacFixit "happy horseshit" thalo) love the new iOS 7 look, and they've HATED almost everything that Apple has done since 1999.

And yes, two weeks down the line, iOS 6 *is* tacky and quaint-looking.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 09:55 AM

There's something very kiddie about it. The phone icon jumps out at me in that regard. I guess its the over-the-top colorfulness of it all.

andi*pandi
Sep 27, 2013, 10:14 AM

heh...

I am a little concerned now that there is a toxic yellow river in apple maps land. Then I had a serious mental discussion on how to redesign this so things make sense... river = blue, park = green, directions = RED.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2013, 10:25 AM

What's funny is that about 90% of the criticisms of iOS 7 seem to be about nothing more than the icons.

I agree that some of them are pretty bad and some of the colors are pretty out there... it really doesn't bother me that much.

Everything else is so much better. Who cares about a few icons?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 10:30 AM

What's funny is that about 90% of the criticisms of iOS 7 seem to be about nothing more than the icons.

I agree that some of them are pretty bad and some of the colors are pretty out there... it really doesn't bother me that much.

Everything else is so much better. Who cares about a few icons?
It's the most visible aspect of the OS. It's what you see the most and how you access everything.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2013, 10:38 AM

Not really. What you see the most is the app you're using.

I agree that it's kind of like painting the front door of your house neon pink... but the truth is that for 99% of the time, you're not going to see that pink door.

The colors honestly don't bother me. Neither does the flatness of the icons. I actually like most of them. Some of them are bad though.

Camera, Game Center, videos, and newsstand. Oh my god newsstand.

Visually, I don't really like the way the dock looks anymore. Also not a big fan of the way folders look.

Everything else I love.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 10:41 AM

Not really. What you see the most is the app you're using.
You may spend the most time in apps, but those icons are the gate you're going through.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
heh...

I am a little concerned now that there is a toxic yellow river in apple maps land. Then I had a serious mental discussion on how to redesign this so things make sense... river = blue, park = green, directions = RED.
That yellow thing is Pruneridge Avenue.

(Also, the old icon doesn't lead you off the overpass. You take a left turn just after the overpass. If that were done to scale on the icon, the detail would have to be so fine that it would look like a grungy mess on the non-retina screens it was designed for. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2013, 04:06 PM

The music app is buggy as crap.

It will play the same song twice in a row for no reason. It quits on me all the time. When I come back to it from another app, it will be unresponsive to any touch for 5-10 seconds and then suddenly input all of my touches at once and go into freakout mode. Not all the time, but it's happened at least 5 times in the last week.

I also don't like the white background.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It has nothing to do with that particular change.

While you're right that probably some people would enjoy the change in design If we had gone from the iOS 7 look to the now tacky and quaint-looking iOS 6, I guarantee that many the same people would be complaining, too.
Did you ever once conclude that iOS 6 was tacky? I had never heard that complaint of iOS 6 before.

Although:
From what I've read, even THALO and consorts (yes, that MacFixit "happy horseshit" thalo) love the new iOS 7 look, and they've HATED almost everything that Apple has done since 1999.
Shouldn't that tell you something? My favorite aspect of Apple technology and what I feel really sets the Apple experience apart from other manufacturers is its marriage of form and function. In this case it really feels like a marriage of Apple function with someone else's form. Maybe the good folks at THALO are Android fans, who knows.

And yes, two weeks down the line, iOS 6 *is* tacky and quaint-looking.
I think tacky and quaint is probably a more apt description for iOS 7's washed-out, simpleton flatness and bizarro color choices than it ever could have been for iOS 6.
ebuddy

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 08:13 AM

Did you ever once conclude that iOS 6 was tacky? I had never heard that complaint of iOS 6 before.
I did within a week of having installed iOS 7; it grew on me so quickly.

It was pretty jarring to swipe through the images on my iPhone and suddenly happen upon a screenshot I'd taken of the home screen under iOS 6. It seemed, yes, tacky and quaint. Like my grandmother's living room, with tassels and wood, and frames on everything.

Shouldn't that tell you something? My favorite aspect of Apple technology and what I feel really sets the Apple experience apart from other manufacturers is its marriage of form and function. In this case it really feels like a marriage of Apple function with someone else's form. Maybe the good folks at THALO are Android fans, who knows.
Well, maybe. You're right that thalo agreeing isn't a badge of valor. Their complaints at the time of OS X 10.0 were pretty ridiculous, but they were centered around the pinstripes, lickable window widgets, and bright colors that confused their sensitive designers' eyes. Brushed metal, that sort of thing. Take a look at screenshots from Cheetah and imagine using that interface today.
The plastic textures were necessary at the time to integrate the OS visually with the hardware - notably the gumdrop iMacs.

Under iOS 6, the folder icons have metal frames around them. iPhones haven't had that metal bezel since the 3GS. And perhaps not coincidentally, iOS 6 is the last OS to support that particular phone.

I understand the logic: the pseudo-physical was necessary six years ago to introduce people to the idea of working with touch, under glass.

Adoption of these interfaces has been so spectacularly rapid that Apple has reconsidered its approach to interface after a mere six years, using the glass to better advantage, by leaving behind the "real-world" reminiscence.
It may be a bit early for that, seeing as there are still a number of newbs who have never used a touch interface before. But Apple was under pressure from other OS vendors who have moved into the market Apple created, unconstrained by considerations of what came before this market existed.

I think tacky and quaint is probably a more apt description for iOS 7's washed-out, simpleton flatness and bizarro color choices than it ever could have been for iOS 6.
"Washed-out" and "simpleton" is, by definition, the complete opposite of "tacky".

And apart from a handful of icons (the music icon's gradient is the only one that irritates me, oddly), nearly all color in the interface that Apple has control over is actually translucency, dictated by your own screen background and icon arrangements.

Let's revisit this in four weeks' time.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
"Washed-out" and "simpleton" is, by definition, the complete opposite of "tacky".
Okay, maybe I'm referring more to the dayglo greens and red/pinks. I find the new UI to be pink flamingo, yard-ornament tacky.

Let's revisit this in four weeks' time.
I get ya on this. After several weeks of driving the new Porshe, it will have been such a pleasurable experience over the old Hyundai that I'll get over the dayglo pink back-lighting of the dash and gauges. I just wished they hadn't gone with the dayglo pink back-lighting so-to-speak. That's all.

Otherwise, are you an Android fan?
ebuddy

P
Sep 28, 2013, 10:10 AM

Certain apps were absolutely derided as tacky. Address book, Notepad and Game Center are probably the worst offenders, as well as the new Podcasts app before they cleaned it up a bit. None of these are big focus apps, though - Mail was fine, the Phone application was fine, Safari was OK although the metal thing got derided early on.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2013, 10:22 AM

Oh for crying out loud, I'll quit whining already. My only complaints were aesthetic, they did a lot of things right.

Until they upgrade to dot-matrix green screen, then I'll whine again.
ebuddy

Cold Warrior
Sep 28, 2013, 08:38 PM

iOS 6 now looks like Blackberry did when Steve showcased the iphone in 2007. A dinosaur.

Forum Links
Forum Rules