Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Gray Fill Bars in 10.1's DVD Player

Gray Fill Bars in 10.1's DVD Player
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2001, 11:28 PM

How come when I watch a DVD movie on my iBook that's shot in the real short and wide widescreen format, the DVD player uses a gray color (definitely not black) to fill in the extra space that some movies [that are shot in the taller format] require? OS 9's DVD Player used black, which blended in with the rest of the background around the window. Do y'all know what I'm talking about? What's up with this and can it be changed? Thanks.
Apple user since 1987

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2001, 12:16 AM

I can't be absolutely sure, but...

I think what you're seeing is different black levels in the actual video displayed off the disc. To clarify:

The NTSC video standard specifies that black be a level of 7.5 IRE (the IRE scale goes from 1 to 100), so from that you realize that NTSC video black is not a "real" black. It actually translates to something around 19,19,19 in actual RGB values. Not black by any means in Macintosh land, where if you want black, you specify 0,0,0.

I think you might be seeing the "black" of NTSC video butted up against real black, but what do I know? Maybe something weird really is going on.

Anybody else?

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2001, 12:20 AM

Allow me to try and clarify...

There are two main versions of the traditional "widescreen" movie format. One is more square and the other is more rectangular. Previously, viewing both versions was the same except for the size and shape of the picture window. However, with OS 10.1's DVD Player, when you watch a movie shot in the more rectangular format, the player fills in the difference between that format and the other [more square] format with an off-black/gray color. This is distracting because it puts gray bars on top of and below the picture window. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.
Apple user since 1987

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2001, 04:13 AM

bump
Apple user since 1987

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2001, 11:11 AM

The OS X DVD player has LOTS of bugs some of my DVD's sometimes look like MPEG4 DIVX (ie blocking) the exact same disc in os 9 is fine....

Some disks like "return of the god of gamblers" just crash the OS X dvd player..

Also with X I would have expected Digital 5.1 output so I could send the signal to an external amp...

Basically there is ALOT of work to be done...

Cheers Edd

Forum Links
Forum Rules