Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A new chapter

A new chapter
Eciton
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 09:56 AM

Hi folks,

I've posted here a few times (in fact, mainly in the PowerBook forum), but thought I'd now give my story as I turn a new page into Appledom

I've just placed an order for a 12" iBook, 60GB, BT, AE and base RAM so I can upgrade it more cheaply.

This is the end of a year-long process, where I waited for the Ti to be refreshed, toyed with the 12" PB, had a brief flirtation with the 17" iMac, became certain of getting the 1GHz 12", and then had a sudden change of direction as the 12" iBooks were refreshed very recently. So, a roller-coaster ride as Apple released new product after new product, and a very tense year all round.

Now that the iBook has gained improved specifications, I can't really justify the extra 300 UKP it would cost me to get the 12" combo 256 60GB AE PowerBook, so that sleek metal shell shall remain in my dreams only. Ironic really, because I was from the beginning set on getting a PowerBook. If the monitor-spanning hack works, it'll only be the shell and the keyboard that I miss. I can live without those.

So, in 3-5 days (quoted) I'll get my first Mac. Hurrah! Let's hope it lives up to a year's expectations, and at last stops the fits of rage into which Windows frequently drives me.

Anyway, that's my introductory story. I'll get back to occasional posting and frequent lurking now.

PS: Expect plenty of unpacking photos.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 10:20 AM

Sounds like a good choice. The iBook is really the quintessential starter's Mac (moreso than even the iMac) and should do well.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules