Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My new center channel for my HT

My new center channel for my HT
G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 03:42 AM

I got the package in the mail today, 30 pounds of pure audio goodness. Its an Adire Audio Large Center Channel. Its not your typical center channel, its a 3 way with a 6th order crossover. The midrange and tweeter are aligned vertically giving better horizontal dispersion in a sealed chamber, and flanked by the 8 inch woofers in a ported chamber tuned to about 40hz. Its going to weigh in around 50-70 pounds and be 26 inches wide 10 inches tall, and 16 deep.

As of right now I assembled the Crossover and tested it out, everything passed with flying colors, and I will solder it up tomorrow. For this speaker I am going to fabricate a nice grill for it. This will be my first grill and I purchased some neodymium magnets so enclosure will still have a nice finish on the front.

Heres a link for pics of the driver and constructed XO and more details about the progress so far. Just thought some of you might find this interesting and a change of pace compared to the normal drivel thats posted here.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2004, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
Just thought some of you might find this interesting and a change of pace compared to the normal drivel thats posted here.
You can say that again. I think it looks awesome. I bet you can't wait to get it finished!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2004, 12:45 PM

I'm a big DIY audio fan, though I don't have any DIY monitors, I do have a few DIY subs. Every time I watch a movie, I'm still amazed by my pair of EBS aligned Shivas (stacked in the same corner).

Defintely let us know how this turns out for you.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 31, 2004, 01:17 PM

Wow, that's a monster for a centre channel. How big is your system?

Here's mine (not DIY): Paradigm Studio CC

BTW, I'm thinking of selling my SVS PC25-31 sub, mainly because the thing is massive for my place, and if I turn it up I'll p!ss off my neighbours.

G4ME  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 06:03 PM

my system isn't to organized, but I try and add one or two things to it a year. You can't beat DIY subs no only do you get performance that trounces what you get at the store, but most of the time you can do it for hundreds less.

This is my first real speaker project, I have a Adire tempest in a ~9 cuft, An enclosure with 4 10" MCM drivers that tips the scales at 170+ pounds, a pair of Pi Studio Monitors and a nice Crown DC300A and an Onkyo 5.1 receiver. No imagine me hauling all that back and forth to school, i have to take a freaking Uhaul, but its worth it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2004, 08:32 PM

I got a pair of $1000 400 watt Kenwood speakers off of eBay for $80. They're about 4 feet tall with what looks like 2 of everything (sub, tweeter, mid). So they're kinda like 2 sets in one. Only thing wrong with them is that one of the corners is smashed in, but it didn't break the molding or crack through the casing. I'm fixing them with wood puddy and black vinyl.

I haven't found out yet how loud they can go cuz my ears hurt before I could go that high. I was deaf for a good 2 minutes or so, with lots of ringing. Didn't want to do that again cuz I have bad hearing as it is.

Only setback is that the rest of my speakers are only rated at 120 watts each and I doubt I'll ever get a good enough deal like I did to replace them.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 09:10 PM

www.bwspeakers.com

mmm, tastes like kevlar

G4ME  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
I
I haven't found out yet how loud they can go cuz my ears hurt before I could go that high. I was deaf for a good 2 minutes or so, with lots of ringing. Didn't want to do that again cuz I have bad hearing as it is.
The ringing is because they are poorly designed and the cross over isn't doing its job.

B&W is all marketing, and pretty boxes. I would much rather have an amazing crossover and construct an amazing box to my specifications.

BTW those AV8s has Kevlar impregnated cones.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2004, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
The ringing is because they are poorly designed and the cross over isn't doing its job.
My ears were ringing, not the speakers.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules