Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Halo 2

Halo 2
G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 05:08 PM

At the university computer store that i work at, we just got about 45 copies of Halo 2 in and they are all for pre-orders.

And my manager won't sell a copy to a coworker cause of the legal issues.

Just thought i would pass it along.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

SafariX
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 05:10 PM

I HAVE IT...buddy of mine "lent" it to me this morning and saved me 50 bucks...yay!

Cough dvd-r

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
I HAVE IT...buddy of mine "lent" it to me this morning and saved me 50 bucks...yay!

Cough dvd-r
Doesn't MS block people with modded xboxes from going online?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Not if you turn off the modchip!

davidflas
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 06:38 PM

I was thinking of picking up a used xbox for $119.00 from the local game store at the mall.. Any reason to spend the extra money to get a new one?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

SafariX
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I don't care about Xbox live because I havent bought it anyways. I just want the SP and MP 4-way. Maybe when I grajeat in a month I'll have more free time.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by davidflas:
I was thinking of picking up a used xbox for $119.00 from the local game store at the mall.. Any reason to spend the extra money to get a new one?
Well you do get two free games and two free months of xbox live with the new ones right now. If you keep an eye out on the target and circuit $hity ad's you may be able to pick one up with an extra controller as well.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Well you do get two free games and two free months of xbox live with the new ones right now. If you keep an eye out on the target and circuit $hity ad's you may be able to pick one up with an extra controller as well.
Good point
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2004, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Not if you turn off the modchip!
So how do you turn off the modchip and still play a pirated version of Halo online?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2004, 06:56 PM

Has anyone tried XBConnect (Windows app)? Allows playing system-linkable games online without Live. Kinda like Game Ranger on the Mac. And it doesn't require a modded xbox.

http://www.xbconnect.com/

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:
Has anyone tried XBConnect (Windows app)? Allows playing system-linkable games online without Live. Kinda like Game Ranger on the Mac. And it doesn't require a modded xbox.

There's a Mac version someplace too.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:

Cough dvd-r
Yay for you, expecailly after I allready coughed up 50 bucks for a pre order.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
There's a Mac version someplace too.
http://www.postpose.com/

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:

I used to play on XBC all the time. It was so much fun.

I'll play with one of you at Halo on XBC, my name is ieatfood. Just add me to your list.

BTW, my xbox live gamertag is also ieatfood.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 09:11 PM

my xbox live gamertag is ultramafia, look foward to whipping some of you guys at midnite skipping school tommorow
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 09:23 PM

Can you help me with aquaduct i set up my xbox via ethernet to my airport extreme base station and my laptop is wireless it detects the xbox but when i join a game the xbox doesnt detect the game how do i do the 8602 thing?

euchomai
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 09:34 PM

I always hear people talk about xbox live, I never hear about people playing their playstation online though. I went to the playstation website and it shows it has it, is it not that popular? Is xbox live pretty popular, especially in comparison to playstation "live"?

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 10:46 PM

Anyone pre-order from gamestop? do you knwo if they will be open until like 8 in the morning?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by euchomai:
I always hear people talk about xbox live, I never hear about people playing their playstation online though. I went to the playstation website and it shows it has it, is it not that popular? Is xbox live pretty popular, especially in comparison to playstation "live"?
The Xbox has all the networking hardware built in - in the PS2 you have to buy an extra box (usually bundled with a network game). Plus I think Live tends to have dedicated servers, but the PS2 is more peer-to-peer, so Live is generally a better experience.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 12:10 PM

I just skipped picking up my copy of Halo 2, because I was just too tired. I kept falling asleep in front of the television. Hopefully I can peel away from work and pick up my allready paid for copy of Halo 2.

Ohh... one of my guys in my graphics classes said that his friend was able to burn a copy of halo 2 onto a DVD to play on his PS2. He siad that it was actually able to work. I couldn't belikve that it worked on the PS2

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
I couldn't belikve that it worked on the PS2
It didn't.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 12:20 PM

Your friend is an idiot.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
Your friend is an idiot.
So is he if he fell for it.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Mafia
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 02:32 PM

XBOX GAMES RUN ON PS2!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.mafia-designs.com

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 03:03 PM

Well, I just picked up Halo 2 and was all excited to play XBox Live; however, the Linksys Wireless Game Adapter (WGA11B) isn't connecting/working. Supposedly since I have WEP-enabled (I'm using a shared internet connection through my TiBook) I need to configure the Linksys adapter; however, I have no idea how to do that via Virtual PC. Anybody have any experience in setting up one of these adapters?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 03:08 PM

Cool, in a single-player campaign, you can play as more than the Master Chief.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 04:47 PM

just bought it now. played through the first part. very cool.

have not tried out live yet.

mdc on xbox live if anyone is up for some multiplayer sometime.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 10:03 PM

Ok so i am about like 7 to 8 hours in
dont want to say anything about the game... but is anyone very close to the end or near me does it get better... because it sucks Ass right now... and i am a halo fanboy so its rare for me to say that... just for the record beginning is great middle is meh late middle is worse and end to be determined

Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 10:34 PM

Here is the thing. I didn't like the first Halo, I didn't buy an XBOX to play it. I thought it was over-hyped, overrated and full of flaws.

Just got Halo 2, was even having second thoughts about getting it as I didn't care all that much.

So i just played it for the past couple hours.

My mind is completely blown. This is one of the most incredible games ever. I am not a Halo fanboy or Xbox lover but this game is stellar. Everything about it is done right and couldn't have been made on any other system and been the same.

The story and cuts scenes are like watching a feature movie, they sound look and are very interesting. With this much audio the same could not have been done on the GameCube and the PS2 couldn't handle the graphics.

The level design of the first Halo was awful, totally repetitive, unintuitive and every hall looked the same as the last. In halo 2 the levels are so well designed I am hugely impressed. No more just running in a straight line. I love the way you make your way to a courtyard, have to battle things out with dropships bringing in new enemies and than more on to the next area all without a load screen or any sort of transition.

The level (if you can call it that as it cleanly transitions into it) where you drive the tank across the mile long bridge is one of the most impressive video game moments ever for me. The world also felt like I had travelled 6 miles all without a load screen along the way.

So far everything I didn't like about the first has been fixed in the second. More enemies, more weapons, great level design, dual handed weapons are the coolest thing ever!

I very impressed when they switched things up and let you play as the bad guy. Not to mention the whole story is told from the bad guy point of view.

Well, I got a fun as hell time ahead of me and I haven't even tried online yet.

If you are a PS2 or Nintendo fanboy and think you can only own one system drop that attitude right now and get an Xbox with Halo 2. After playing this I have next to no interest in my former FPS fav Metroid.

What are your impressions?

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 10:51 PM

Yeah i posted about it in the other thread got done playing with it after 8 hours of playing, im about 65% to 50% through i think and it really is somewhaat repatitive you fight the flood again in those same crappy hallways again... and then well... if your way passed that anyone else notice how bad the plot gets?

insha
Senior User
Nov 9, 2004, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
Well, I just picked up Halo 2 and was all excited to play XBox Live; however, the Linksys Wireless Game Adapter (WGA11B) isn't connecting/working. Supposedly since I have WEP-enabled (I'm using a shared internet connection through my TiBook) I need to configure the Linksys adapter; however, I have no idea how to do that via Virtual PC. Anybody have any experience in setting up one of these adapters?
I have the same adapter from linksys (although the one I have is compatible with both 802.11B and G) connected to my Xbox; but I don't have the WEP turned on. I don't think you can configure the adapter using a Mac, as the software that came with it only runs on windoze... go figure.

You can try turning off WEP and then restart the adapter, then go to 192.168.0.52 (default IP for the adapter, if you did not make any changes; that will take you to the web admin utility for the adapter). Once you get in, you can change the settings for the adapter and enable WEP. Now you can turn on the WEP and restart the WGA11B. You should be able to get online.

Hope this helps. You can find the PDF for the adapter here

insha-

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
Yeah i posted about it in the other thread got done playing with it after 8 hours of playing, im about 65% to 50% through i think and it really is somewhaat repatitive you fight the flood again in those same crappy hallways again... and then well... if your way passed that anyone else notice how bad the plot gets?
Halo 2?

Looks good but I was never really that big of a fan.

Oh yeah, don't go bashing Metroid. It'll be out next week.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Nov 9, 2004, 11:28 PM

I think nothing of it. Absolute nothing.

Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Cubeoid:
I think nothing of it. Absolute nothing.
I thought the same till I actually played it.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 11:45 PM

I give it my seal of approval. Im about 1 hour in.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
Halo 2?

Looks good but I was never really that big of a fan.

Oh yeah, don't go bashing Metroid. It'll be out next week.
lol i won't bash mertiod i was just very disapointed in this... for the love of god half of the game is a relaspe of the first... i am a huge halo fanboy, but i really am not impressed by the plot the gameplay and all the other stuff are spectacular aboslutely amazing... but the plot doesn't really catch me as much as the first i might be wrong like i said i think im onoly half way through but who knows people say the ending sucks

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 11:48 PM

I got it at around 1am last night (damn lines) and played it till 9:30 this morning. almost literally passed out with the controller in my hand, and then woke up and finished it... we did the first half or so on heroic, and the last part on easy as we were tired. The game is awesome, but I was not all that impressed with it, but I still liked it. THE ONLINE PLAY however, is awesome, there are some features missing, but I may just not know how to get to them... Proximity voice is damn cool, and the levels are awesome...

it's a damn good game.... and

::spoiler::
what is with the ending!!!

Zach

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2004, 11:57 PM

Personally, the game is sorta boring. There's been so much hype and I never thought the original was all that great.

Besides, this game hasn't even compelled me to buy an Xbox for it. I almost bought a PS2 for GTA:SA, but decided not to.

What do you mean replay of the last game?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2004, 12:06 AM

I dig.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 01:48 AM

I'm still trying to get past Truth and Reconciliation on the first Halo on my Mac
iamwhor3hay

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2004, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
I'm still trying to get past Truth and Reconciliation on the first Halo on my Mac

I'm enjoying the game. The "shift" once the Convenant ship jumps into hyperspace was a surprise and interesting. The vehicles seem better and while I haven't found a thirsty grunt yet, I did turn on one and he exclaimed: "Oh my, I think I wet myself."

Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2004, 02:00 AM

Ya I hear the ending is a bit of a cliffhanger. Ah well, something to look forward to in Halo 3.

What is the big surprise? Is big chef a woman or an alien or somethin?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2004, 02:07 AM

Hmmm, I bet I have an idea: team-up, aka The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 02:46 AM

It was missing all the stuff that made the first halo good.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2004, 02:52 AM

Such as?

Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2004, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
It was missing all the stuff that made the first halo good.
I was going to say it is missing everything that made the first Halo bad.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 04:29 AM

Homework for my college classes is keeping me away from HALO2

Furthermore I will be on Vacation starting Thursday... Will I ever get to play it. It just sits here in plastic.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by spatterson:
Homework for my college classes is keeping me away from HALO2

Furthermore I will be on Vacation starting Thursday... Will I ever get to play it. It just sits here in plastic.
its for your ps2 right?

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 06:41 AM

I only started Co-Op with my brother, we didn't get very far since he blows at FPSs. Although, the multiplayer is awesome! It took a couple of minutes to get used to the game play, im still used to playing the first Halo.

The great part about inviting friends is that you can even text message invites to your friends, which is sweet because I lost my head set.

Anyway, if you want to play on Xbox live with me, just add me to your friends list. My gamertag is ieatfood.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2004, 08:05 AM

Been watching the videos of Halo 2 on IGN. The graphics are amazing....and they do look like a feature film.

I am very envious of the pixel shaders on that piece of hardware..... possibilities are pretty much endless for developers. There's lots of potential there to make really differnt stylized(visually) games on that system. which makes me wonder why MS is so eager to release xBox next so prematurely when developers (for all current generation hardware) have just started tapping into the potential of each console.

Great looking game though.... it's a visual treat thats for sure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules