Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question regarding Apple's 30" LCD

Question regarding Apple's 30" LCD
chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2005, 03:11 PM

What happens if you connect the Apple 30" LCD to a video card that is Dual Link DVI? Will there be an image? Will the image crop in the middle of the screen? Will fill the whole screen? Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2005, 07:25 PM

With dual link DVI you should be able to use the whole screen, in 2560x1600 pixel glory.

chefpastry  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2005, 09:07 PM

Ooops... I meant a video card without Dual Link DVI... Sorry.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2005, 09:23 PM

While you could send a 1920x1200 signal with single link DVI, I've heard Apple will only let you do 1280x800 (centered not stretched, if memory serves) on the 30" with single link DVI.

chefpastry  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2005, 09:38 PM

Very interesting. Thanks for the reply!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2005, 03:55 PM

You're not going to use that, are you?

chefpastry  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2005, 04:31 PM

Well, I'm thinking about it... The reason why I asked is because I run several computers on a single monitor (I just don't have enough desk space for multiple monitors). While I may be will ing to sacrefice a Radeon 9800 for a Radeon 9600 (which has Dual Link DVI), I'd like to keep at least one tower with a Radeon 9800.

After thinking about it, I don't think that I can live with 1280x800. Hopefully, the upcoming Dell 30" doesn't have this limitation and more inputs.

chefpastry  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2005, 04:31 PM

Sorry. Double post.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 23, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
While you could send a 1920x1200 signal with single link DVI, I've heard Apple will only let you do 1280x800 (centered not stretched, if memory serves) on the 30" with single link DVI.
Nope.

There are pix on the web somewhere of a 30" hooked up to a single-link PowerBook, and it showed the image stretched, not centered. Yes, it was limited to 1280x800.

tooki

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2005, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by chefpastry
Well, I'm thinking about it... The reason why I asked is because I run several computers on a single monitor (I just don't have enough desk space for multiple monitors). While I may be will ing to sacrefice a Radeon 9800 for a Radeon 9600 (which has Dual Link DVI), I'd like to keep at least one tower with a Radeon 9800.

After thinking about it, I don't think that I can live with 1280x800. Hopefully, the upcoming Dell 30" doesn't have this limitation and more inputs.
If I recall correctly Dell's displays will let you choose centered or stretched for any arbitrary resolution.

Originally Posted by tooki
There are pix on the web somewhere of a 30" hooked up to a single-link PowerBook, and it showed the image stretched, not centered. Yes, it was limited to 1280x800.
Thanks for the info, tooki.

Forum Links
Forum Rules