Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB Hot Plugging Not Working w/10.1 on Dual USB iBook

USB Hot Plugging Not Working w/10.1 on Dual USB iBook
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2001, 06:33 PM

I'm running OS 10.1 on my 500 mHz Dual USB iBook and for some reason, USB hot plugging doesn't work. If my USB devices aren't connected upon startup, they won't work until I restart the machine. For instance, if I have my mouse disconnected when I boot up the iBook, then plug it in a while after everything's up and running, it won't be recognized. Same thing goes for all my other USB devices. Or, if I have a device connected, then unplug it and plug it back in, it won't be recognized.

I have a Kensington USB Mouse-in-a-Box Optical Pro Mouse connected to one of my iBook's USB ports, then a hub (with a VST floppy drive, an Iomega Zip Drive, an Epson Perfection 1240U scanner, and a Lexmark Z43 printer) connected to the other USB port. Does anybody know why this problem might be occurring? Thank you very much.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: STAT ]
Apple user since 1987

Leaping Gnome
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2001, 07:41 PM

Hmm, I hot plug my mouse all the time and it works fine. Are you using the USB 1 port for the mouse? Try that if you aren't.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2001, 04:12 PM

Upgraded to 10.1.1 and switched the mouse to USB 1 and still no luck. Help...
Apple user since 1987

<e-cyras>
Nov 15, 2001, 04:53 PM

hello! i have the same problem! the only solution is to plug the usb-device first in port 1, then disconnect and then plug it into the port 2 :-)! that works for me, but i hope, apple will release as soon as possible a firmware-update that will solve this problem!!!

bye

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2001, 08:04 PM

I think that perhaps the problem is specific to my mouse, which is a Kensington USB Mouse-in-a-Box Optical Pro Mouse. I have the latest version of their MouseWorks software, but it doesn't seem to be very useful. Does anybody know anything about some known problems with this mouse and 10.1.1 on an iBook? Thanks.
Apple user since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules