Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No Ground on iBook Power Supply?

No Ground on iBook Power Supply?
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2001, 02:48 AM

I got my dual USB iBook DVD yesterday and one strange thing I noticed is the plug going from my power supply into the wall socket only has two prongs on it (US plugs here, folks)...no third ground prong! What's up with this? Shouldn't it have a ground in order to be safest? Thanks.
Apple user since 1987

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2001, 03:31 AM

Most notebooks out there do not come with a ground prong. I think if you put it in the right way, it should be okay.

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2001, 10:22 AM

Nearly all portable notebooks are two-pronged (no ground). This is related to the battery and power receptacle in the notebook itself. So, no need for the third grounding prong.
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

MUGlover
Jun 15, 2001, 11:18 AM

I am delighted by the two-prong iBook plug. While I was waiting (and waiting) for Apple to get my iBook out of Alaska, my car started making noises and was replaced by a Toyota Avalon. This car has two prong outlets! AC power for non-smokers! And now the iBook can just plug in for computing on the road.

Note that I am not advocating that you drive and use the iBook. I am not advocating that you drive. I am not recommending that someone else drive for you, unless it's a bus or a train. Most of those don't have outlets (yet). The iBook experience is too wonderful to spoil it by putting it in a car, yet this car (and others I'm sure) will improve your computing fuel economy. -Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules