Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Switching iBook Partitions

Switching iBook Partitions
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2001, 02:24 PM

On my 10 GB dual USB iBook hard drive, I have OS 9 on an 8 GB partition and OS X on a 2 GB partition. I need more room on my OS X partition since I'm switching to it as my primary OS. How do I do this? I thought about starting up on an external FireWire startup disk and just physically dragging the contents of the OS X partition to the 8 GB partition, then dragging the contents of the OS 9 partiton to the 2 GB partition and renaming both of them. Will this not work due to invisible files or something that wouldn't get copied over? How can I do this. Thanks.
Apple user since 1987

intastella
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2001, 06:38 PM

You were right in doughting that would work because it won't. There are lots of invisible files on the OS X drive. Dragging just what you see won't work. Although it might work to login as root and show all invisible files with something like Tinkertool, then try to drag it. You could try that on the firewire drive before moving the real things around. Aside from that, I think you would need to backup your stuff ,re-partition your drive, and re-install.

Don

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Sep 20, 2001, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
<STRONG>On my 10 GB dual USB iBook hard drive, I have OS 9 on an 8 GB partition and OS X on a 2 GB partition. I need more room on my OS X partition since I'm switching to it as my primary OS. How do I do this? I thought about starting up on an external FireWire startup disk and just physically dragging the contents of the OS X partition to the 8 GB partition, then dragging the contents of the OS 9 partiton to the 2 GB partition and renaming both of them. Will this not work due to invisible files or something that wouldn't get copied over? How can I do this. Thanks.</STRONG>

Had this same issue myself a few months back. Try this... backup your primary User directory (ie: the one you use most in X). Erase and reinstall the rest. If you're smart and not logging in as root everytime you use X, most of your user-specific preferences can then be re-imported into X after you reinstall on your 8GB partition.

As for applications, most will need to be updated or re-installed post 10.1 anyway.

Speed

intastella
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2001, 09:33 PM

Try this... backup your primary User directory
This is how I do it, and it works great. I have an OS X partition and a Documents partition where I put all my user folder and documents. I route all my preferences there, including some OS 9 ones so I can reinstall OS's at the drop of a hat. When all is done, I 'm back up and running in just minutes with a fresh OS.

In OS X you can't route the user folder to another partition with an alias. You do it with the NetInfo app. Just click on the user and set the location to /Volumes/diskname/userfolder.

Works like gangbusters.

inta

Ichthus750CX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2001, 01:11 AM

I've never been able to do this myself, because I've never had enough hard disk space. But I seem to remember Cipher making a disk copy image of the hard disk, and then saving it on a different partition/disk to restore from later. That's basically what Apple does with it's restore CDs. So I'd say, copy Mac OS 9.1 onto your firewire drive, boot from it, and use the disk copy method (Make sure to choose an uncompressed image otherwise it will take forever) That seems like the easiest way to me. If anyone else would like to correct me on the legitamcy of this, chime in at will.

Forum Links
Forum Rules