Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Wallstreet Powerbook Modem Driver???

Wallstreet Powerbook Modem Driver???
Richard Clark
Senior User
Sep 22, 2002, 01:02 AM

Installed Jaguar the day it came out on my Wallstreet. Haven't had a need to hook it up to the internet until Thursday when 10.2.1 came out. The modem didn't work. I checked all the settings - everything. Compared it with my desktop system. The only difference was the modem. There is not a Powerbook Modem to choose from.

To make a long story short I decided to start from the ground up. Erased the HD (low level) installed 9.2.2. Everything went fine. Modem connected up fine.

Installed 10.2 and boom, I get the error "A modem error occurred. Please verify your settings and try again".

I found the Powerbook G3 Series Modem extension in 9.2.2 and put it in the Library/Modem Scripts for 10.2.1 for kicks and giggles to see if it would work but it didn't.

I've also tried all the Apple modems:

Apple/GV 56k
Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.34)
Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.90)
Apple Internal 56K Modem (v.92)
Apple Personal Modem

When setting up clean the v.90 was selected. It's not finding a dial tone in X. But I figure that it's because it doesn't have the right modem driver. Is anyone having this problem? All the way to 10.1.5 the modem worked fine. And as I've mentioned under 9.2.2 it's working fine.

Also, why isn't there a generic modem option like in 9?

Also also (heh!) - Why would they drop a powerbook modem driver????

Any help on this would be appreciated.

One last thing - I did download the update by connecting up through the network so I do have 10.2.1 running on it and the security update. But a lot of good that will do if I can't even dial in.

"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2002, 09:05 AM

Copy the Modem script named "Powerbook G3 Internal 56k" in the Extension/modem script folder in 9.2.2, and paste it into the Library/Modem Scripts in X.
Then choose that script in your preference. It should be works.

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Sep 22, 2002, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by sungwoo:
Copy the Modem script named "Powerbook G3 Internal 56k" in the Extension/modem script folder in 9.2.2, and paste it into the Library/Modem Scripts in X.
Then choose that script in your preference. It should be works.
Thanks for the tip. I tried it but no luck. Also restarted the machine. I noticed something weird. The settings had changed to modem/printer port.

Since this machine isn't mission critical I may just take it back to 10.1.5 so I can hook up to the internet.

I'll send Apple a note about this as well.

Thanks!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

sungwoo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2002, 02:42 PM

You can disable the other port such as a modem/printer , IrDA and Ethernet port to prevent that.
I don't think something wrong with 10.2 because I use it without any problem.
Cheers,

Originally posted by Richard Clark:

Thanks for the tip. I tried it but no luck. Also restarted the machine. I noticed something weird. The settings had changed to modem/printer port.

Since this machine isn't mission critical I may just take it back to 10.1.5 so I can hook up to the internet.

I'll send Apple a note about this as well.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules