Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ODBC, Celview and Excel

ODBC, Celview and Excel
Richard Clark
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 02:30 PM

We've got a couple of co-workers that need to be able to import information from Celview's MacRumba into M.S. Excel. Currently they are running Mac OS 9.2.2 and using M.S. Office 2001.

Our windows counterparts are able to getting queries and bringin them into Excel. The problem is that we haven't figured out how to do it on the Mac. On the Windows side they use a Client Access ODBC Driver. There isn't anything like that for the Mac.

In order to get any kind of drivers they have to be installed from the Office 98 install CD. Office 2001 does not have any drivers on the install CD. The closest that I've found and is installed is "Microsoft 3.01 Text PPC"

ODBC 3.51 Control Panel and ODBC Setup PPC is installed Control Panels.

I haven't been able to set up a data source yet. In Excel i got to Data/Get External Data/New database Query. I choose Data Source. On the Databases tab I double-click New Data Source. Create a name (i.e. test) in box 1. Box 2 select the driver (i.e. Microsoft 3.01 Text PPC). Box 3 is the connect button. When pressing on connect the following error comes up "Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error".

I have scoured Microsoft's web sites for drivers with no luck. Have also looked at Celview site and sent e-mail inquiring is there are any ODBC drivers. Haven't received an answer yet.

Any expeirence using ODBC on the Mac would be great.

Thanks in advance!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Apr 23, 2003, 02:31 PM

Just a follow-up.

The driver that windows users can use is

"Client Access ODBC Driver 32 Bit"
Version 8.00.05.07 Created by IBM

I've contacted IBM but they don't have an equivelent for the Mac.

Celview (AS400) has stated that they haven't created an ODBC driver to work on the Mac.

Apple is a no show as well. All that they have are ODBC drivers for Filemaker Pro or Web Objects.

Microsoft as I mentioned in the first posting didn't have anything. In fact their website is absolutely terrible finding software to download.
(Ask me how I really feel)

There are two companies that might have solutions (Openlink Software Inc. and Dartek). But there will need to be a windows machine as a middle man between the Mac and AS400.

The cost for this might not be reasonable since right now the capabilities we're looking for is needed for two employees.

It would be nice if there was just a generic ODBC driver out there that would allow us to connect up to the AS/400 and move the data to an Excel spreadsheet without having to jump through 500 hoops.

If anyone has any thoughts on this please run them by.

Thanks in advance!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

n~s
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2003, 03:41 PM

Filemaker Pro allows you to query against an ODBC data source:
http://www.filemaker.com/products/od...kgrounder.html
might be worth a try to see if you can get through that way (do they still offer a free trial?).
( Last edited by n~s; Apr 23, 2003 at 03:51 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules