Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Age of Mythology

Age of Mythology
Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 12:12 AM

I wanted to use my .mac discount coupon, so i had to order the bloody thing online. Now i'm waiting for it to ship, etc. Wish i could've just picked it up at the store.

Anyone else ordered it yet? Post your shipping status here please.

PacPerson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 03:06 PM

AoM was officially released yesterday (nov 5), i think.

I love AoE but I need to try a demo of AoM before I fork over 50 bucks. If you add in the expansion pack that will come out in the future, you're probably looking at 80 bucks for that game. It better be damn good.

Let's go macsoft - where's the demo ?

davecom
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by PacPerson:
AoM was officially released yesterday (nov 5), i think.

I love AoE but I need to try a demo of AoM before I fork over 50 bucks. If you add in the expansion pack that will come out in the future, you're probably looking at 80 bucks for that game. It better be damn good.

Let's go macsoft - where's the demo ?
Agreed.

newmanium
Nov 6, 2003, 06:58 PM

yeah, i second the idea for a demo. i love the game but just not sure how it would run on my mac. G4 or not

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 07:31 PM

i doubt they'll release a demo at this point, but you can check out that video where they talk about it's development. i can't remember where i saw that, but it seemed rather promising.

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 6, 2003, 07:42 PM

I remember reading in some interview that a demo for mac was likely, but nothing was 100% for sure yet..

I've seen the movie trailer, but that's hardly enough to convince me to actually buy the game. I don't care about it's development, I care if it's good or not.

And why wouldn't they release a demo at this point ? The game just came out. like yesterday.

<<<<PacHead puts on Optimist Hat>>>>>>>

Hopefully there will be a demo shortly. Within the next week would be cool.

<<<<PacHead removes Optimist Hat>>>>>>>

a2daj
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 08:10 PM

AoM will ship sometime next week according to Al Schilling in an interview at IMG posted yesterday. I'm guessing there were some last minute show stopping issues that had to be fixed.

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
I remember reading in some interview that a demo for mac was likely, but nothing was 100% for sure yet..

I've seen the movie trailer, but that's hardly enough to convince me to actually buy the game. I don't care about it's development, I care if it's good or not.

And why wouldn't they release a demo at this point ? The game just came out. like yesterday.

<<<<PacHead puts on Optimist Hat>>>>>>>

Hopefully there will be a demo shortly. Within the next week would be cool.

<<<<PacHead removes Optimist Hat>>>>>>>

not the movie trailer... it was a video where they "demoed" the game during development.

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 03:12 PM

**** this. postponed again. i'm cancelling.

PacPerson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
**** this. postponed again. i'm cancelling.
Macsoft needs to update their website.

It still says nov 5 on there.

I'm still waiting on a demo, regardless of when it comes out.

nod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 03:48 PM

Was the release postponed again? So sad...

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2003, 04:15 PM

I wouldn't really bother. The "Age of" series has departed from its prior focus. It was never historically accurate but now its more an RPG; an obvious shift in the importance of individual units. If you want this type of thing get WarCraft or, if it ever gets to mac, the next in the series (age of wonders I believe).

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

davecom
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 04:42 PM

Age of Wonders is by a different developer and is not related to the series as far as I know. The true sequel has not been released yet(I think).

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2003, 06:11 PM

yeah postponed again...

1st we were supposed to get our shipment the 5th; then they pushed it back to the 11th; now our shipment isn't expected until the 17th...

although this is pretty typical. The release date on most new games is pushed back further than the expected release/ship date.

nod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 07:46 PM

So... next month? Macsoft = ???

a2daj
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 06:34 PM

According to a Macsoft employee (contractor) the game is set to hit store shelves on the 18th or 19th.

http://www.macgamer.com/wcgi-bin/ubb...&f=11&t=004864

31sparks does some work for Macsoft.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 10:40 AM

I've been looking forward to this game but I'm starting to wonder if it's for me. I absolutely love Starcraft and have yet to find its equal, but Tropico bored the heck out of me. Where does AoM fall in the action/strategy range?

phillryu
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 03:56 PM

Did you ever try Warcraft 3?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

benb
Nov 13, 2003, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
I wouldn't really bother. The "Age of" series has departed from its prior focus. It was never historically accurate but now its more an RPG; an obvious shift in the importance of individual units. If you want this type of thing get WarCraft or, if it ever gets to mac, the next in the series (age of wonders I believe).
Yea, I agree. I loved AoE 2, so I bought AoW for the PC. I played it 3 times so far. Just doesn't stack up to WarCraft 3. No strategy in AoE, even in online play. The God Powers are gimmicks. Choosing tech paths means choosing a God at every age. The units are way to hard to individually control.

There's just less depth than AoE or WarCraft 3.

You just make a 6 of every unit and attack. No strategy at all. And the Hero units are gay. You can't even decide when to use their ability.

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 04:04 PM

IT'S SHIPPING!!!! WOOHOO!

:where's the jumping with joy smiley!!

nod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 04:47 PM

Let us know how it runs for you, what your setup is, etc...

MdntCommercial
Banned
Nov 20, 2003, 07:02 PM

what type of discount did you get?

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 01:22 AM

20 bucks off.

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 07:11 PM

Ok, all of you waiting for the demo... DON'T WAIT!!!!

The port is absolutely superb. very fluid, just like on a PC

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 01:51 AM

Ok, all of you waiting for the demo... DON'T WAIT!!!!

The port is absolutely superb. very fluid, just like on a PC

I second that! Flawless! Magnificent game that's well worth the bucks.

this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

PacPerson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 04:54 PM

The port may be excellent, but saying it's just like the pc one doesn't tell me a whole lot, since I never played the pc one.

So, I still need a demo. I don' know if i like all the god powers stuff, I'm more into realistic, like AOE2.

It's good that the game finally came out though.

benb
Nov 23, 2003, 11:24 PM

The port may be excellent, but saying it's just like the pc one doesn't tell me a whole lot, since I never played the pc one.

So, I still need a demo. I don' know if i like all the god powers stuff, I'm more into realistic, like AOE2.

It's good that the game finally came out though.
I don't think the game is all that good. Definitely not as good as AoE 2. The God Powers feel gimmicky.

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by benb:
I don't think the game is all that good. Definitely not as good as AoE 2. The God Powers feel gimmicky.
Actually I personally don't care too much about the "God Powers", i hardly even use them. It's the other mythic creatures that make it fun.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 09:11 AM

As my previous posts will attest, I'm hardly a game expert. But I picked up a copy of AoM this weekend and loaded onto my 12" Rev B Powerbook (10.3/768MB). The gameplay is very smooth and the graphics are really good, even in the cut scenes. Of course I just started, so I haven't encountered any real graphics-intensive battles yet, but I don't anticipate any problems.

So far the game reminds me a little of Tropico, but plays much better and there is (obviously) more action. I think anyone who likes the Blizzard strategy games will definately get his/her money's worth from this one.

I'm traveling a lot for the holiday week and plan on playing this game during the downtime...so watch this thread for plenty of my newbee questions.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 12:50 PM

Actually I personally don't care too much about the "God Powers", i hardly even use them. It's the other mythic creatures that make it fun.
I use my God Powers every day. Oh wait, you mean in the game!

PacPerson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by KeyLimePi:

So far the game reminds me a little of Tropico, but plays much better and there is (obviously) more action. I think anyone who likes the Blizzard strategy games will definately get his/her money's worth from this one.
Uh oh......

I hate tropico and especially the blizzard games like warcraft 3.

Now I definitely need to test the game out beforehand.

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
I use my God Powers every day. Oh wait, you mean in the game!

Anyone know how to KILL a unit?
For example if I have too many villagers and i want to kill some, it says i need to select them and hit delete. I tried this and it doesn't work.

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 04:58 PM

For example if I have too many villagers and i want to kill some, it says i need to select them and hit delete. I tried this and it doesn't work.
Just send them off in the woods with the wolves, bears or other attacking mammals (such as man)!

I was confronted to the same problem. I just opened a gold mine right next to the ennemy stronghold and sent them with an exciting dental / life insurance plan. Voila!

LOL

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by bobette:
Just send them off in the woods with the wolves, bears or other attacking mammals (such as man)!

I was confronted to the same problem. I just opened a gold mine right next to the ennemy stronghold and sent them with an exciting dental / life insurance plan. Voila!

LOL
YEAH, I would just send them off to attack an enemy wall! haha.
but see the thing is... sometimes they get STUCK, stupid things. so i have to kill them and hitting delete doesn't work.

bobette
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 05:13 PM

YEAH, I would just send them off to attack an enemy wall! haha.
but see the thing is... sometimes they get STUCK, stupid things. so i have to kill them and hitting delete doesn't work.
I had that problem too with bloody Ajax and Pretty Boy superhero stuck in the trees, I had to start the level from my last saved game.

Only bug so far.

Quite addictive huh?

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by bobette:
I had that problem too with bloody Ajax and Pretty Boy superhero stuck in the trees, I had to start the level from my last saved game.

Only bug so far.

Quite addictive huh?

Totally! Can't wait to try out multiplayer even. There's been a couple of people on gameranger but I didn't really try it. I was really surprised at the number of AOE II players.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by benb:
I like the God powers. They add a bit more strategy and variety to the game. If used right they can cripple the other player but if misused they're really not all that useful.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 05:51 PM

Uh oh......

I hate tropico and especially the blizzard games like warcraft 3.

Now I definitely need to test the game out beforehand.

Its much like War II and III in that its an RTS and has basically the same UI. AoM puts a greater importance on strategy and larger groups of units. You also don't micromanage units in battle (such as telling one unit to use a certain power, and so forth). In AoM units with a special attack will use it periodically. Don't get the wrong idea, heros are not like they are in War III. AoM puts them more as a counter to myth units, against other units they're no match really.

Oh, and there is nothing like tropico. You don't need to manage your cities or any crap like that. Just build, gather resources, create units, fight.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 05:54 PM

Go to combat commands and click the skull... but that works only for units that are combat capable which villagers are not. Could be a key command for all I know.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 09:51 PM

20 bucks off.
Where did you buy from?

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 09:57 PM

Where did you buy from?
Apple online store, using the $20 coupon i got when i renewed .mac.

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 01:49 AM

To kill a unit or building use the delete key next to the home/end/page up/page down keys, not the one above the backslash key. It works for me.

On another note, does this game seem crash happy to anyone else?
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by Trekkie:
To kill a unit or building use the delete key next to the home/end/page up/page down keys, not the one above the backslash key. It works for me.

On another note, does this game seem crash happy to anyone else?
I'm on a powerbook, so there is just one delete key. As mentioned above, you can bring up the combat commands and use the skull button.

Also it has never crashed on me, even with other apps running in the background. What OS are you using?

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 04:09 AM

I'm running it under 10.3.1 and it crashes after extended game play. Also, the audio seems to randomly go on the fritz with constant hiss.
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 04:16 AM

That's odd. Try creating a disk image instead of using the CD in case the CD is scratched.
What's your setup?

Forseti
Nov 26, 2003, 01:54 PM

To use the "delete" key on PowerBooks, press fn + delete.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 01:24 PM

Oh, and there is nothing like tropico. You don't need to manage your cities or any crap like that. Just build, gather resources, create units, fight.
Design-wise it is similar to Tropico, but plays more like the Blizzard games (Warcraft/Starcraft)

phillryu
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 01:34 PM

Any idea if this would run on a 600mhz iBook with an 8meg graphics card?

WC3 runs, but only at the lowest lowest details. How would Age of Mythology compare?

proton
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Any idea if this would run on a 600mhz iBook with an 8meg graphics card?

WC3 runs, but only at the lowest lowest details. How would Age of Mythology compare?
System Requirements: Macintosh computer with a 450MHz or faster processor, OSX 10.2.8 or higher, 256MB RAM, 16MB video card, and CD-ROM drive.

http://www.macsoftgames.com/products...-aom-page.html

You could try it, but I wouldn't bet on it running.

- proton

phillryu
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 09:42 PM

Ok. Then again, War3 requirements were significantly higher, I believe. That's promising, hehe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules