Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > At least he's not a Mac user... That'd be embarrassing

At least he's not a Mac user... That'd be embarrassing
Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2005, 06:56 PM

Have you ever encountered a person who refuses to take off promotional stickers or protective film from their cordless phones, TVs, or computers because "What if I want to sell it one day?"

Well, what I saw today was the worse offense to date. A guy I know had bought a new laptop, but not only has he kept the plastic that covers the face of the laptop, he absolutely insists on keeping the plastic film stuck to its screen. I looked at it dead-on, and the graphics looked like absolute shite. "Why," you ask? "Because I don't want the screen to get scratched."

(via cameraphone)
DBGFHRGL!

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 07:07 PM

hmm....My Powerbook didn't have that when it was new. Maybe Powerbook screens are better.

CallumM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 07:10 PM

hahaha, the promotional stickers is what irritates me the most, i can't understand how they can keep those on their laptops..

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 07:11 PM

I would have asked him if he has protective film over his car? I bet it has scratches.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2005, 07:16 PM

I don't mind leaving some of the promotional stickers on some products. They need to be small and decent looking though. Still have my little 'MP3 CD/CD-RW!' promo sticker on my DVD player because it looks cool.

But that guy needs to have his computer license revoked.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 07:24 PM

I still have them on my digital camera, but that's it.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 07:36 PM

Yes, with that fancy plastic bubbling up all over he won't even notice any scratches on the screen.

Ingenious!
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 07:39 PM

I found this for this guy to cover his mouse with...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2005, 08:01 PM

Does he still have the "AOL 9.0 Optimizer!" and "Runs with Windows" and "Intel Inside" and "Windows XP" and... oh, what other stickers do they put on there?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2005, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Does he still have the "AOL 9.0 Optimizer!" and "Runs with Windows" and "Intel Inside" and "Windows XP" and... oh, what other stickers do they put on there?
"Do not eat protective film."
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 08:46 PM

I always pick stickers off of things when I see it on other peoples stuff...

Never even ask, it just annoys the **** outta me.

-Owl

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 09:24 PM

hahahaha. On most digital cams the advertising is stuck on the cam itself though.. kinda asinine they don't stick it on the bottom. My favorite are the windows license stickers that every company puts on the front/top/side of their machines.. I've come acorss a laptop or two before with the license sticker *on the top*
Aloha

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 09:25 PM

My room mate has some massive stickers on his windows laptop, its so dumb. I don't get some people.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 09:51 PM

I bet his mom was the kind of lady that had clear plastic slipcovers on the couch and all the pillows.

storer
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 09:57 PM

I leave promotional stickers on most of the time. My PC has them still on the front, and my stereo did just until recently. But, like most of you, I can't stand people who don't take the protective film off. I CAN'T STAND THAT! It's so stupid. My cousin has had her phone for 6 months (it's a flip too) and it's still on the screen. gRR!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by storer
I leave promotional stickers on most of the time.
ditto.

My AirPort Express still covered with original plastic wrap. Same goes with my FW800, the protective wrap is still covered the optical drives' door.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 23, 2005, 05:38 AM

I still have the Intel Inside sticker on my laptop, just under the keyboard (in the palmrest whatchamacallit area), but this laptop is so worn that you can only just make out what it says now, the rest has just been worn off my hands. People are always asking me why I spray-painted part of my palmrest area silver instead of the original black - I didn't, the black has just come off over time, looks super sexy... Cheap discount peecee laptops, yoohoo

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Psychonaut
Have you ever encountered a person who refuses to take off promotional stickers or protective film from their cordless phones, TVs, or computers because "What if I want to sell it one day?"
its very common in China, people also wrap remote controls in plastic.

You see one year old car with the plastic covers still on the seats, I think its a form of obsessive compulsive disorder.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2005, 06:47 AM

its very common in China, people also wrap remote controls in plastic.

You see one year old car with the plastic covers still on the seats, I think its a form of obsessive compulsive disorder.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 08:55 AM

Well, what I saw today was the worse offense to date. A guy I know had bought a new laptop, but not only has he kept the plastic that covers the face of the laptop, he absolutely insists on keeping the plastic film stuck to its screen. I looked at it dead-on, and the graphics looked like absolute shite. "Why," you ask? "Because I don't want the screen to get scratched."

(via cameraphone)

you should have just walked over to him and said "hey look at that hot chick over there!" and then ripped it off.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 23, 2005, 09:26 AM

ROLFLMAO.

"Hey look over there! A hot chick.. then rip it off...." <Tears>

Forum Links
Forum Rules