Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new design

new design
inprnt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 01:32 PM

do u think apple will redesign the powerbook or ibook this year in terms of looks.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 02:22 PM

The Alu PB design is awesome. You think they can come up with someting even cooler?

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by d.fine
The Alu PB design is awesome. You think they can come up with someting even cooler?
Yeah I would like to see all the ports at the back again. Having cables runnig out of the sides looks horrible. I really wish for a TiBook with the AlBook hinges.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Yeah I would like to see all the ports at the back again. Having cables runnig out of the sides looks horrible. I really wish for a TiBook with the AlBook hinges.
Hmm, I like the current hinge design. I thought the hinge on the TiBook was ... just ugly.
But knowing the minds at Apple, I'm sure they'll come up with something to make us drool, and want to get a new machine again.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by d.fine
Hmm, I like the current hinge design. I thought the hinge on the TiBook was ... just ugly.
But knowing the minds at Apple, I'm sure they'll come up with something to make us drool, and want to get a new machine again.
I like the current hinges as well, since they are technically better than the TiBook hinges. Hence why I said that I would prefer a TiBook with the new form of hinges but with all the ports on the back (like the TiBook) instead of on the side. When you have your AlBook sitting on a desk connected to all sorts or peripherals it just looks ugly with all the cables connected to the side and running over your desk. Sure ports on the side are handy but they do suck esthetically and it's not that big of an annoyance to plug stuff in on the back.

inprnt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 03:04 PM

I wanted a new ibook design more than the powerbook but I'm sure if they re-did the powerbook it would look even nicer than it does now.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 03:38 PM

can you make the mona lisa better? if so give ives a call. i really think all we'll see in design change is maybe a new material. let's hope we dont see a damn intel inside sticker on the palm rests :me shivers:.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 04:14 PM

But the ports are on the side because of the hinge.

The only thing I liked better about the TiBook was the size, slightly thinner. Otherwise, I find the Alu superior in every respect.

I agree the ports on the side don't look as nice, but the convince and the better hinge make it work it for me.

If I were in charge, I would like to see a case made of something that doesn't jack the AirPort reception, my only big beef with my PB.

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2005, 04:59 PM

... hmmmmm...

... go retro to pismo...
... using a composite shell...
... removing the glowing apple...
... replacing it with a raised one...
... molded into the top case...

... retain the bronze keyboard...
... but maybe give it a glow soft option...

... remove the white apple from the inner top...
... and do the same as the outer top...

... instead of the flip up back port cover...
... redesign to have it retract into the machine...

... instead of four rubber feet on the bottom...
... wide rubber strips on each side...
... from front to back...
... to match the curve of the case...

... retain all ports (updating usb and firewire as necessary)...
... retain the card slot...
... retain the dual bays...

... make it thinner if that trips triggers...
... using slot load disc drives...

... but return to a style...
... based upon their best design...

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 03:26 AM

I like the current hinges as well, since they are technically better than the TiBook hinges. Hence why I said that I would prefer a TiBook with the new form of hinges but with all the ports on the back (like the TiBook) instead of on the side. When you have your AlBook sitting on a desk connected to all sorts or peripherals it just looks ugly with all the cables connected to the side and running over your desk. Sure ports on the side are handy but they do suck esthetically and it's not that big of an annoyance to plug stuff in on the back.
Sorry, I read you'd like an Alu PB with a Ti hinge, my bad.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 14, 2005, 03:37 AM

I like the Pismo design a lot better than the AlBook. My biggest single gripe with the AlBook has to be the front edge of the wrist rest area, which is such a sharp edge that it cuts into my wrists and makes the skin hurt. The Pismo has a soft curve there.

Just to be clear, the Pismo inherited its design verbatim from the Lombard, which itself is just a slimmed-down version of the Wallstreet. All three same the same basic curves and layout. The Lombard/Pismo design, aside from being slimmer, just refined a few of the little things that weren't perfect in the Wallstreet (for example, the point of attack in the battery bay eject lever, and the keyboard latch design).

The TiBooks and AlBooks were clearly designed with usability as a lower priority than appearance, so they look great, but I find them to be annoying to use.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 14, 2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by isao bered
.. go retro to pismo...
... using a composite shell...
... removing the glowing apple...
... replacing it with a raised one...
... molded into the top case...
The Lombard/Pismo's top-lid Apple logo is both raised AND glows. They're not mutually exclusive.

tooki

P.S. I'm using my trusty Pismo right now, because the AlBook is in the shop for a logic board replacement.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500
But the ports are on the side because of the hinge.
Good point. Ah well I guess they would find a way to do it .

I really hope for a new material really. Totally carbonfiber maybe, but painted and not with the horrible unpainted carbonfiber look.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 05:44 AM

my powerbook 17" was stolen last week. now i am looking for a new one. i would hate to have exactly the same design again. i can't wait till they release something different
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 06:49 AM

PB2K : what's that Dual 2.25 PM in your sig? /sorry off topic

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2005, 09:01 AM

PB2K: Just hold out until late summer. Not only will it be nearer a product refresh but Apple tends to have better deals (read: Free printers, cheaper ipods, other accessories discounted) for back-to-school.

Just my $0.02.

-k
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2005, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
The Lombard/Pismo's top-lid Apple logo is both raised AND glows. They're not mutually exclusive.

tooki

P.S. I'm using my trusty Pismo right now, because the AlBook is in the shop for a logic board replacement.
... i know...
... and it's also upside down...
... when viewed open from the back... :-)

... probably should have said "only raised"...
... "and not glowing"...
... for those familiar...

... was also going to add...
... partnering with bose...
... to see if they could engineer...
... a miniature wave speaker system...
... into the thing...

... but i think...
... that while cool...
... it would make the machine...
... even more prohibitively expensive...

... but a poor idiot...
... can still dream...
... for low to no-cost... ;-)

... be well...
... and be better...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 14, 2005, 12:21 PM

Bose speakers suck.

And what's with the gazillion ellipses?

tooki

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2005, 03:50 PM

Bose speakers suck.

And what's with the gazillion ellipses?

tooki
:-)

... a.d.d....
... phrases are about...
... my limit...
... for, uhm...
... uhm...
... attention span... ;-)

... enjoying life...
... means putting joy into it...

isao bered

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2005, 01:51 AM

We're going to see annodized aluminum for the next gen laptops with Intel CPUs.

I agree that the pismo design is much more comfortable to use - but it's not a Jobsian design, so there is no going back.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 05:29 AM

at the moment i hold out with an ibook g4. i miss my powerbook 17", but this month i already buy an alfa romeo GT so the new 17' will be for next month (or if they release a new 17" case design within 6 months ; that one
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 15, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker
I agree that the pismo design is much more comfortable to use - but it's not a Jobsian design, so there is no going back.
It sure is a Jobs/Ives design. That design was introduced in 1998, a good year after Jobs returned, and it was designed by Jonathan Ive, the same guy responsible for the current designs.

tooki

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2005, 12:45 PM

It sure is a Jobs/Ives design. That design was introduced in 1998, a good year after Jobs returned, and it was designed by Jonathan Ive, the same guy responsible for the current designs.

tooki
Tooki, are you sure? I've heard strong rumors that Jobs REALLY did not like the Pismo, which he looked as a design from the Apple legacy past (via the Wallstreet/Lombard lineage). One of the reasons the Titanium needed to be so different was Jobs wanted to put him mark on the laptop designs at Apple. The AL PBs are really just an updated Titanium design.

As for Ive, everything I've read is his stellar accession at Apple corresponded to the return of Jobs -- prior to Jobs, he mostly spent time building the odd system here and there like the 20th anniversary macintosh. I've never seen his name associated with the Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo notebook track (just like his name is associated with the Al PB17 but interestingly NOT the Al PB12 design, which is the brainchild of the separate iBook group).

Of course, these lines are arbitrary -- I suspect everything is much more collaborative than drawn here.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by inprnt
do u think apple will redesign the powerbook or ibook this year in terms of looks.
No. Redesign will come with Intel processors next year.

rytc
Senior User
Jun 19, 2005, 01:49 PM

Well my opinion of the hinges in the Powerbooks suck, well mine have anyway - started squeaking ~ 4 months after I bought it, they lubed them and then 3 months later they started aqueaking again, they replaced it and now ~4 months later they've started squeaking again - and the squeaking is not just an annoying noise it is actually a case of the screen locking in place.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2005, 04:21 PM

There is a lot of nostalgia for the Pismo dual media/battery bay, and while it was nice in some ways, it just doesn't make a great deal of sense. The non-battery devices that went it to it were overpriced compared to external USB or firewire versions, and as you can put the laptop to sleep and switch batteries without losing anything, it's not a big deal to not have the second bay. Considering the thing I use extended battery life for most often is watching DVDs on long flights, this solution makes more sense, as I couldn't have the DVD drive in as well as the second battery.

I assume there is a good cost and weight savings gained by ejecting the second bay. I think it's worth it.

asodamiac
Senior User
Jun 20, 2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker
We're going to see annodized aluminum for the next gen laptops with Intel CPUs.
if apple keeps the aluminum pb's. as for anodizing, ive heard people say that apple chose the gray color because it is a "neutral" color? if so, anodizing seems like its out of the question, unless they anodize the aluminum... gray.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac
if apple keeps the aluminum pb's. as for anodizing, ive heard people say that apple chose the gray color because it is a "neutral" color? if so, anodizing seems like its out of the question, unless they anodize the aluminum... gray.
Could do a two-tone -- keep the inside grey, go complimentary colors on the outside (that you don't see when the computer is open).

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2005, 05:20 PM

The most important thing is to move the ports to the back (and put a real video out port on the 12"). The hinge lowers the screen and forces ports to the sides. The only advantage is on planes, but in every other case I'd prefer a higher, more ergonomic screen.

Other changes: Fix the wobbling cases. Mine wobbles on a flat surface, and so do several others I've seen. Remove the Apple logo, or at least make it much smaller. IBM laptops have nice small logos. Replace the Enter key to the right of the space bar with a function key — either that or add real page up/down keys. Improve AirPort reception — if the problem is the case material, then use a different material. Or add an extra antenna, like IBM does.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2005, 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=tie]The most important thing is to move the ports to the back (and put a real video out port on the 12"). The hinge lowers the screen and forces ports to the sides. The only advantage is on planes, but in every other case I'd prefer a higher, more ergonomic screen.

Good hinge designs have been VERY hard to come by. The current design, unlike the Titanium and the Pismo/Wallstreets' configerations, seems to work and to last well.

The only reason to have ports on the back is to make a dock more practical. Otherwise, I have found the ports on the sides to be better than on the back for my uses.

asodamiac
Senior User
Jun 20, 2005, 06:46 PM

grow up c3dlc.
Dell 2408WFP

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2005, 02:33 PM

IMHO they could leave it the way it is. It's a great design and it easily kills anything the PC world has to offer.

However, there should be some kind of dock connector port on the bottom and an Apple branded dock to go with it. Currently, the (only) solution offered by PowerBookEndz is an incredibly expensive joke.

Actually, I love the side ports. You access them much better than the back ports. I really loved the way my 12" had all ports on one side. I'd like my 15" to be that way too. But still, better ports on two sides, than just ports on the back. A second bay so an additional battery could replace the optical drive might be nice, but OTOH it's not really necessary (battery switch on sleep) and it's probably expensive to do.

asodamiac
Senior User
Jun 21, 2005, 03:31 PM

yea, i have to agree with simon, the side ports are convenient. you dont really have to shut your lid and look around to see what goes in where (or look over the lcd).
Dell 2408WFP

aloner
Jun 21, 2005, 05:22 PM

Bring back the Pismo. That would make me and a lot of other people very happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules