Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Cross-Platform Catalogue Design Software

Cross-Platform Catalogue Design Software
Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 11:59 AM

I'm working this summer at a local convention centre as their tech guy, (basically their Nick Burns.) One of the projects they're wanting to accomplish is a catalogue for exhibitors of the products they have for rent, such as furnishings, decorations, tables, chairs, dance floors, et cetera. Problem is, I've been counting on using Pages on my PowerBook to finish it, but when I'm gone they'll need to be able to work on it on their PCs. Do you all have any recomendations for a cross-platform page layout/design programme I could use to get this done? The catalogue doesn't need to be anything more than simplistic, really. But oh god, please don't make me use Publisher! ::Gag::
DBGFHRGL!

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 02:55 PM

What's wrong with InDesign (or, if you must, Quark)?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 03:09 PM

I'll second Quark/Indesign, but watch out for the fonts! They'll get you every time.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2005, 08:37 AM

Indeed, a good DTP program such as InDesign or Quark would be the way to go. Printers prefer production files to be be in either format. The PC people would need to have PC versions of either software and most importantly, any photos, art AND fonts you use. Postscript Type 1 fonts are highly recommended. Postscsript fonts are available in Mac and Windows OS formats. Do not use TrueType as they are screen fonts and will not work well in prepress and printing. A few font sources are:

Fonts.com: http://www.fonts.com
Adobe: http://store.adobe.com/type/main.html
ITC: http://www.itcfonts.com/itc/default.asp

When saving and sending your finished catalog to he printer, be sure to include all the photo and art files used. If in color, double check that they are CMYK and NOT RGB and at a decent resolution (300dpi preferred). Be sure to include those fonts, too.

Good luck!
W2

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
I'll second Quark/Indesign, but watch out for the fonts! They'll get you every time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules