Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Old SNES RPGs...

Old SNES RPGs...
Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 02:36 AM

Are the best video games ever made. OK... there have been some great games produced, even amongst all the crap of the current Sony ruled industry. But for the last few days I've been genuinely addicted to a ROM of Lufia II I downloaded (for the record considering Canadian copyright law it's legal here, and there' no chance I could pick this game up elsewhere. Though once the Revolution is out I might pick one up and buy it online so don't get your panties in a knot!). It's a SERIOUSLY good game, decent graphics for a SNES game... but to be honest... what ever moron plays a game solely because of graphics should be shot.
You know... I'd actually love to see some NEW games in this same format! Maybe update the graphics just a bit, but don't try and make it super 3D, don't try and do all sorts of crazy camera angles and all that crap, don't give me crazy cinematic, and all that crap. Just a nice low budget RPG where some no name character finds out from some other mysterious character that they're gona save the world from some unapproachably powerful evil person. Give me some cool spells to find, some funky puzzles (and hopefully an online walk through cause at 5 am sometimes you just can't figure out where to put the freaking pot!). It's all I really ask.

I mean think of it... FF3, Chrono Triger, Link to the Past, these are all great games, with mediocre graphics (good by yesterday's standards mind you) and they're STILL fun to play. Then again... maybe I just need to bite the bullet buy a PS3 when it comes out and play some new stuff by Square...

Cubeoid
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 02:40 AM

I feel you SuperChicken, I don't play video games any more for those reasons. All crap, no creeativity and feelings of beauty, truth and innoscnce. Man.

I've said it before. Chrono Trigger demolishes all ass when it comes to old tyme RPG fuun. The game is so cool. I got pretty excited playing it, it made me feel happy and glad, also comfortable and powerful. Chrono Trigger is the bomb.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 02:47 AM

Square's stuff nowadays is not the same quality it was. FFX was the best game they've put out since FF7, but those are all completely blown away by their SNES stuff. FF7 taught them that they can appeal to more mainstream gamers by eliminating all the **** that made their games so cool and having them just be a bunch of really fancy graphics with a short, rehashed story.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Aug 11, 2005, 03:09 AM

I totally agree, SC. Lufia II is an excellent (and underappreciated) game; it's quite possibly my favorite RPG for its simple, fun battle system and the excellent collection of puzzles.

But of course, while people remain willing to eat up these cookie-cutter RPGs, there seems to not be much hope for new material. I feel like this would be a great niche for independent shareware developers to occupy, but unfortunately it takes a great deal of varied talent (art, music, puzzle-creating, story creating) to produce material for good RPGs. Oh well...
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

Cubeoid
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 04:44 AM

Hand in hand with good music and sports. All gone down the shitter. Well, there is stilll good music. That never dies..

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 08:56 AM

My wife just finished Final Fantasy VI for the first time, and she absolutely loved it. She's still not sure whether it's her favorite or not, but it's either that or FF7 (which seems to be pretty common among FF fans). This was the PSX remake, rather than the SNES original, because I couldn't find my old SNES cart (something I plan on remedying). For the most part it's a decent port, but not perfect by any means (oddly enough, the graphics and sound actually suffered in the PSX port, which is not exactly what one would expect). Being able to save more than three files, though, is a huge plus.

I never really got much into the Lufia series, but my roommates in college loved it. However, I'm with you guys when it comes to dismay over the 3G (Graphics/Guns/Girls) formula which has swept most of the gaming industry. Gameplay is the only aspect of a game that doesn't grow dated, and when you cease to focus on it your games don't have any staying power.

I'll agree that Square's games have gone downhill in recent years, but I don't think they've gone downhill all that much. Really, the only problems their recent games have had is that they're too linear and too easy. They've dabbled somewhat in 3G, but their games still have fascinating gameplay concepts which would word extremely well in a more difficult game. That said, FFX shows a disturbing trend in the mini-games: the fact that they seem to have lost the ability to tell the difference between 'difficult' and 'tedious'. Come on: dodging 200 lightning bolts in a row?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
My wife just finished Final Fantasy VI for the first time, and she absolutely loved it. She's still not sure whether it's her favorite or not, but it's either that or FF7 (which seems to be pretty common among FF fans).
Hey, don't forget FFIV in that conversation! Has she played that one yet? Personally, I think it's better than VII but not VI.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Hey, don't forget FFIV in that conversation! Has she played that one yet? Personally, I think it's better than VII but not VI.
Not yet; she's playing through them in reverse order.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 04:11 PM

I've just started playing crossfire. It's an old-school MMORPG type thing - very cliche'd fantasy, and great fun! I'm considering porting the client to Cocoa - at the moment it requires X11.

Not much help if you want a single player game though.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
I feel you SuperChicken, I don't play video games any more for those reasons. All crap, no creeativity and feelings of beauty, truth and innoscnce. Man.

I've said it before. Chrono Trigger demolishes all ass when it comes to old tyme RPG fuun. The game is so cool. I got pretty excited playing it, it made me feel happy and glad, also comfortable and powerful. Chrono Trigger is the bomb.

i think chrono trigger was too short (too many ways to end the game)

my personal favorite was secret of evermore. if nintendo ever releases it out on the game boy advance, i'll buy the game and dust off my gameboy. boy, faithful companion (dog) and alchemy .. how cool is that?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 06:26 PM

For the record though. Secret of Gia SUCKED. I played that ROM a while ago and kept trying to like the game. But... it genuinely sucked. I dono it sucked me in for a few days while I waited for it to get good... it had some interesting moments but... meh.
That said Lufia II, It's a good thing I've got the walk through cause there are several times in the story line that I think you'd have to do way too much town talking to get to where you're doing. Not to mention the storey line is nifty but... honestly I miss the deeper dialogue of games like FF3/6. That said FF5 was an awesome game, played it with Virtual Game Station back in the day. And it was really nifty. I got Feris up to Redx2 with Black6 and White6... I swear I didn't need another character after that hahaha.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lancer409
i think chrono trigger was too short (too many ways to end the game)
Point taken, though it was only short after the first time you played through it. Of course, if you're an obsessive freak like me who keeps going through New Game + over and over again to try and get everyone to Level ** and ** in as many stats as possible... well, that's another story.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 08:55 PM

I love old rpg's, I'll have to give this one a look.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 09:05 PM

Point taken, though it was only short after the first time you played through it. Of course, if you're an obsessive freak like me who keeps going through New Game + over and over again to try and get everyone to Level ** and ** in as many stats as possible... well, that's another story.
Yah... after you have your 5th Rainbow... you start asking yourself... what's the point?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 09:13 PM

The return of Superchicken? Let me guess: you're Glenn and Salty is Frog?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 10:17 PM

Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG of all time. new ones have found different ways to innovate, but they just don't compare in that traditional, pure RPG way.

"I start fires!"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Super Chicken
after you have your 5th Rainbow... you start asking yourself...
I knew the thread was going down this road.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
The return of Superchicken? Let me guess: you're Glenn and Salty is Frog?
Wow you guys pay way too much attention. Yah uhh, I just some how got logged out and didn't pay attention to what name Safari put in when I logged back in.

Aside from that, I just beat Lufia II, and... there's this retry mode thing available... I figured It'd be like new game +... only it isn't. It seems to just start me off with the same money and crap I'm supposed to have. Am I missing something?

Cubeoid
Baninated
Aug 12, 2005, 02:12 AM

I think I've read that one somewhere

Forum Links
Forum Rules