Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Time travel: which way would you go?

Time travel: which way would you go?
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 01:19 AM

and where?

Footy
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:25 AM

Probably about 20 years in the future just to check out my computer options. With my luck dinosaur's would be back and I'd be a snack with in the first 2 minutes upon arrival.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:25 AM

Good question. I'd for sure go backward. The future will suck, too much violence and the robots will also run the world.

I'd probably go back to around 30 BC. I'd like to see the whole Jesus thing pan out.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee
and where?
That's a REALLY tough one. Of course, you'd want to go back in time cuz you could invest in the stock market and become the first trillionare.

But then, personally, I'd want to go forward in time to a point (I hope) that would allow me to not age. Then I'll work on becoming a trillionare.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ledzeppelin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 01:31 AM

( Last edited by ledzeppelin; Jan 29, 2006 at 11:41 PM. )

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 02:16 AM

I would go back approx 13.7 billion years

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 08:13 AM

Did someone say time travel?

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 31, 2005, 08:16 AM

1) Read the corporate history of the big money makers like IBM, Xerox, etc.
2) Go back to when they just got started and buy stock in them
3) Go forward to just before when they maxed out and liquidate the stocks
4) Enjoy!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

36days
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 08:20 AM

Forward. I would pick up an eight CPU Power Mac when they come down in price to what an iMac costs in the present and then bring it back with me if astroscientiphysicsally possible.
Follow Sylvia's adventure in 36 Days In Sin City

36days
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
4) Enjoy!
that happens in Back To the Future II I think.

36days
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by nredman
Hang on a sec, what's this?????

Did Tom Baker use his machine to father Howard?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 31, 2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 36days
that happens in Back To the Future II I think.
Nope, it's about a sports almanac...and the wrong person gets his hands on it.

My thought would be to be much quieter and low key about it, not build some "gaming empire" like Bif does in BTTF II. Bif BAD! BAD Bif!

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 09:05 AM

I'd go back far enough to buy the property that had oil on it and become an oil baron in the late 1800's. Penn here I come!

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2005, 09:11 AM

I'd go in the future 10 years, go to apple.com and apple-history.com,

then come back to 2005/6 and get hired by ThinkSecret and makes lots of money for accurate predictions

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by 36days
Hang on a sec, what's this?????

Did Tom Baker use his machine to father Howard?

good call

anyways to answer the threads question i would go back in time to the biggest powerball lotto - win it and give 90% of it away - or go back to some point to help humanity.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Hash
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 10:34 AM

i would go back to time when Alexandria library was burned and will try to prevent the fire. The manuscripts will tell us so much about ancient kingdoms and maybe help locate the Atlantis. And it also will save precious knowledge.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 10:45 AM

I would definitely go back to Israel and try to see Jesus speak.

Huge

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 10:48 AM

Uh oh.

My husband said, "Sure, you'd go back to see Jesus. But when you got there you wouldn't understand what he was saying." (Whatever language it is that they spoke then.)

Then he says, "Plus, you'd be some weird blonde chick with white skin speaking a language that they didn't understand so you'd become another prophet or they'd stone you because they'd think you were evil. Actually, they'd probably stone you and you'd never come back."

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Then he says, "Plus, you'd be some weird blonde chick with white skin speaking a language that they didn't understand so you'd become another prophet or they'd stone you because they'd think you were evil. Actually, they'd probably stone you and you'd never come back."

So when is he sending you off?

storer
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 10:58 AM

Future perhaps out of curiosity, but I reckon it would be scary. Dunno why/where I'd go back to though. It'd be nice to use my knowledge of the future in the past to make money.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 12:15 PM

Go Back, definitely. It's exciting (and sometimes depressing) to contemplate the future.
But to get back in time to a known period and know how to fully enjoy it, that would be awesome.

The following are some of the people and/or events that I would want to see.

*Byzantine Emperor Constantine (Kill him before he could convert to Christianity)
*12/13th century pilgrims (I would have liked to take the overland route to Jerusalem: It was the ultimate road-trip in its day)
*Moorish Spain (Help Boabdil maintain his Kingdom in Granada)
*Elizabethan England (See Shakespeare's works; Figure out who he was really)
*Adolf Hitler (Kill him as a young child before he could grow into the monster he was to become)

to whoever suggested saving the library at Alexandria. Personally, I would love to have read Aristotle's
Comedics--The now-lost work that was the comedic counterpart to his Poetics on the topic of drama and tragedy.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
*Adolf Hitler (Kill him as a young child before he could grow into the monster he was to become)
I think we as a planet learned NOT what to do because of this man. If you killed him, more than likely another just like him would have popped up.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I think we as a planet learned NOT what to do because of this man. If you killed him, more than likely another just like him would have popped up.
Well, with Mussolini, Franco, and Stalin all historical contemporaries of Hitler I don't think the world would be lacking any knoweldge of the horrific atrocities possible at the hands of humans.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 12:21 PM

Well, with Mussolini, Franco, and Stalin all historical contemporaries of Hitler I don't think the world would be lacking any knoweldge of the horrific atrocities possible at the hands of humans.
But that was my point, killing him off wouldn't have done much good.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2005, 12:29 PM

to the future to buy a new laptop
the further the better

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 12:32 PM

But that was my point, killing him off wouldn't have done much good.
Killing him off would have saved a lot of Jews, cripples, homosexuals, gypsies, un-accomodating Catholics from needless death.

None of the other dictators mentioned had nearly the level of desire or drive for wholesale anhilihation like Hitler did. Mnay of the dead under Stalin were because of the Russians fighting Hitler--There still would have ben plenty killed in the purges but not nearly as many as those killed fighting Hitler in WWII.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 12:41 PM

Killing him off would have saved a lot of Jews, cripples, homosexuals, gypsies, un-accomodating Catholics from needless death.
OR caused someone even more evil to rise up in his place. Killing off more. We do not know. The time and place he came up, was prime for anyone charismatic enough to capture the people's hope.
None of the other dictators mentioned had nearly the level of desire or drive for wholesale anhilihation like Hitler did. Mnay of the dead under Stalin were because of the Russians fighting Hitler--There still would have ben plenty killed in the purges but not nearly as many as those killed fighting Hitler in WWII.
Where did Hitler come from? He came from nowhere. Who knows who would have popped up. Hindsight and such.

We just don't know.

Of course I believe certain things happen for a reason. But that's probably just me being naive again.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 12:55 PM

OR caused someone even more evil to rise up in his place. Killing off more. We do not know. The time and place he came up, was prime for anyone charismatic enough to capture the people's hope.
He was charismatic enough to cappture the German people's hope, not any people's hope.

Where did Hitler come from? He came from nowhere. Who knows who would have popped up. Hindsight and such.
Well, that's my point. Others did pop up but none of them were as virulent in their desire to eliminate their opposition.

Of course I believe certain things happen for a reason. But that's probably just me being naive again.
No, it's not naive at all. If you believe certain things happen for a reason, what reason do you think is the basis for the appearance and rise of Hitler?

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 12:59 PM

He was charismatic enough to cappture the German people's hope, not any people's hope.
Germans are human like the rest of us. We are all made of the same material.
Well, that's my point. Others did pop up but none of them were as virulent in their desire to eliminate their opposition.
I am not arguing with you there. We know this because that is how history played out. If we changed history, we don't know who would have popped up. We have no clue of others hidden desires or such. Again hindsight.

Changing past events can't have foreseeable consequences.
No, it's not naive at all. If you believe certain things happen for a reason, what reason do you think is the basis for the appearance and rise of Hitler?
I don't think I was singling him out per say. Just giving a general statement.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:01 PM

ummmm........hate to burst ya'lls bubbles, BUT

you can't change the past without effecting the future. The slightest action, good, bad or otherwise, will have a direct & immediate impact on the present......

Say for instance, while you were in the past 30 years ago, you inadvertantly get killed.......

Now, in what is your CURRENT life,

Your son will never be born, and the gov''t he helped overthrow goes on to become another Nazi Germany..........
Those people who robbed you didn't do it, but decided to kill someone instead. Now that person's life is also effected......
They guy you beat out for a promotion at work gets your job & goes on to be the CEO a few years later, and does an Enron-type move.......

ect ect ect ect.....
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by bowwowman
you can't change the past without effecting the future. The slightest action, good, bad or otherwise, will have a direct & immediate impact on the present......
BING! Give that man a cigar.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:06 PM

Cubans are good! (Cigars, that is)

Apparently some folks are not familiar with the term "timeline" as it relates to the laws of physics and spacial continuity

too bad for them!
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Hash
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:15 PM

Actually, isnt is a paradox of time travel? If you change the past, it will change the future - you now - and you may not exist in present. Thus, no one will travel back to change the past, which in turn, will be left unchanged and you will be present again. So, I guess thats why if any future people can travel in time - they would prefer not to meddle in anything.

I think that the history of humanity is a proof of that. We know and we have witnessed multiple wars and tragedies. Now, if only our descendants could travel in time and prevent those tragedies, they would. But we know they happened.

Thus, time travel will never result in changes of history.

Another point was developed by Stanislav Lem, a great Polish sci-fi writer (Solaris) - the history as we know very well maybe the RESULT of the efforts of our descendants to change the past. He explores the idea in a comical way, but you get the picture. It is fascinating read, btw

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 01:17 PM

Cubans are good! (Cigars, that is)

Apparently some folks are not familiar with the term "timeline" as it relates to the laws of physics and spacial continuity

too bad for them!
Actually it's referred to as the space-time continuum and the idea posits that you cannot separate into distinct aspects the manifestation of spatial or temporal existence. That's why the term spatio-temporal is often used when discussing ideas such as time travel. In other words, you can't have space without time and you can't have time without space. (Well, unless you are talking about cosmological singularities but then all "regular" laws of physics break down.)

Hash
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:20 PM

And also probably killing Hitler would really prevent nothing - someone else will become the Fuhrer and history will repeat. It is because fascism developed due to objective socio-economic reasons and not because of Hitler. And who knows, the other Fuhrer could be even more devastating than Adolf Hitler. So your version of history will have even less benefits to humanity, so to say.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:24 PM

what reason do you think is the basis for the appearance and rise of Hitler?
the eternal battle between good & evil......no 2 ways about it. Mankind brought Hitler upon itself through our petty bickering, greed, lust and the insane belief that any 1 HUMAN being could solve all their problems. It was Prime time for evil to take center stage & perform it's scripted role in history, which it did quite dramatically!

And ANYONE who is foolish enough to think that this world, in it's current state of affairs, hasn't bred another, even more sinister creature, is REALLY naive......

His time is coming..........s o o n! And he will make hitler look like a sissy -assed crybaby wannabe

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:31 PM

Actually it's referred to as the space-time continuum and the idea posits that you cannot separate into distinct aspects the manifestation of spatial or temporal existence. That's why the term spatio-temporal is often used when discussing ideas such as time travel. In other words, you can't have space without time and you can't have time without space. (Well, unless you are talking about cosmological singularities but then all "regular" laws of physics break down.)
Bingo!!!!!!!

Another Cigar winner

Glad to see I'm not the only one here who paid attention in science class.......

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 01:43 PM

Either back to the dino days (as long as I am well protected from them) or 50 years or 1million years into the future.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dakar
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2005, 01:49 PM

Far enough into the future so that I was amazed yet able to comprehend and learn what I saw.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hash
And also probably killing Hitler would really prevent nothing - someone else will become the Fuhrer and history will repeat. It is because fascism developed due to objective socio-economic reasons and not because of Hitler. And who knows, the other Fuhrer could be even more devastating than Adolf Hitler. So your version of history will have even less benefits to humanity, so to say.
Indeed!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2005, 01:52 PM

I would go back in time to try to tell Steve Jobs that that whole Motorola/IBM thing was a really shitty idea.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
4) Enjoy!
Any thoughts on the consequences of those actions, besides your own benefit?

And what if travelling in time were to cancel that travel?

Say, travelling to the begining of Life on Earth, then, stepping on it?
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:54 PM

I'd go sideways to see what's gonna happen now. I love surprises.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky
I'd go sideways to see what's gonna happen now. I love surprises.
A World Without Time.

We are actually travelling in Time, so, where ever we go, is equivalent to whenever...

But the problem is to figure a way to go further, like those places called "past" and "future".
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 02:03 PM

I'd go forward... say 500 yrs.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2005, 02:22 PM

I'd go north, uhm, no, wait, south. Stop, no, I'd go east, I guess. Aaargh, wtf...

-t

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 03:11 PM

Jedi Masters don't need to time travel. We own in all time periods.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 31, 2005, 03:29 PM

ummmm........hate to burst ya'lls bubbles, BUT

you can't change the past without effecting the future. The slightest action, good, bad or otherwise, will have a direct & immediate impact on the present....
And who's to say I'm NOT the one who made a killing selling off those stocks? Unfortunately, human language is not well constructed for discussing the potential to change history; not enough tenses to reflect the maybes and the possiblys.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:35 PM

I'm happy where I am. This is the point in time that was meant for me. Just hope that I make a positive difference.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 31, 2005, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
Jedi Masters don't need to time travel. We own in all time periods.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=280258

Forum Links
Forum Rules