Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Marriage rights for fetal hippopotami now!

Marriage rights for fetal hippopotami now!
bojangles
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 04:16 PM

Brad pitt has announced that Angelina Jolie and he “will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able.” So let’s see… who are the only people in the United States of America that might be to be married, but aren’t legally able to be?

• People in same-sex relationships?
No, they’re “legally able” “to be married”; they just have to abide by the same legal definition as the rest of us.

• Polygamists?
No, they’re “legally able” “to be married,” just not to more than one person at the same time (see above definition).

• Children?
Bingo! So according to this statement, Brad Pitt is advocating lowering the marriage age to zero… but what about the unborn? They’re part of “everyone.” Hey, and animals! They’re part of “everyone” too! So Brad won’t marry Angelina until U.S. law allows animals to get married. (Hey, wait…. That makes sense, if you consider her appearance.)

And I thought Tom Cruise was a freak….

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 04:20 PM

Wrong forum.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 04:24 PM

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 8, 2006, 04:24 PM

Is this what they worry about in Noblesville, IN?

"Hello, what have we here?

Rumor
Sep 8, 2006, 04:30 PM

I feel I just lost a little bit of intelligence on this one.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 04:39 PM

Mommy, why did God make this thread suck?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 05:24 PM

Hey, everyone. It’s great to see how popular this thread apparently is, but it’s a joke. Brad Pitt made a stupid statement, I’m calling him on it. There’s nothing political here… just the ramblings of another Hollywood know-it-all.

chill…
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 05:28 PM

rickey939® visisted this thread....and then left.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 06:03 PM

Nothing to see here, nothing to see.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 8, 2006, 06:18 PM

This thread is the only thing that is gay in here.

Oh and me.

"Hello, what have we here?

jckalen
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 06:24 PM

from the "legal definition"...

More than half the states allow marriages at lesser ages with parental consent, going as low as 14 for both sexes in Alabama, Texas and Utah.

I find that waaaaaaay more disturbing than the thought of same-sex marriages. Well, unless we're talking about a 14 year old same-sex marriage.
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 06:29 PM

dumb thread

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 06:49 PM

So hold on; as long as states keep banning gay marriage, we won't have to deal with a Brangelina wedding and the inevitable media circus?

Damn; that's actually kind of tempting...
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 07:04 PM

I actually think it's kinda cool that someone high-profile is doing this. My girlfriend likes the idea of getting married, and I don't care that much. But I also keep thinking that I feel weird about getting married when there are all these same-sex couples who can't, since in their cases they both want it. I've said it'd be cool to make some sort of statement that if politicians think the government needs to encourage opposite-sex couples to marry, well, we won't do it unless they let the gays do it to. But in order for anyone to care, there'd need to be an organized mass movement of hetero couples doing the same thing. And I'm no good at organizing mass movements.

Hell, I'm no good at organizing words into short sentences. But maybe Brangelina's statement will inspire someone to start a straight-marriage boycott. Or an "everyone get married in Canada" movement.

HungrySeacow
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by bojangles
Brad pitt has announced that Angelina Jolie and he “will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able.” So let’s see…�who are the only people in the United States of America that might be to be married, but aren’t legally able to be?

•�People in same-sex relationships?
No, they’re “legally able”�“to be married”; they just have to abide by the same legal definition as the rest of us.

• Polygamists?
No, they’re “legally able” “to be married,” just not to more than one person at the same time (see above definition).

• Children?
Bingo! So according to this statement, Brad Pitt is advocating lowering the marriage age to zero… but what about the unborn? They’re part of “everyone.” Hey, and animals! They’re part of “everyone” too! So Brad won’t marry Angelina until U.S. law allows animals to get married. (Hey, wait…. That makes sense, if you consider her appearance.)

Bigot.....

EDIT:
It really bugs me when people try to use the point he is trying to make... It wasn't that long ago that black and white people could not marry. Besides, me sleeping with a woman would be as natural to me as 90% of you guys sleeping with a man
( Last edited by HungrySeacow; Sep 8, 2006 at 08:28 PM. )
YummySoup! - Recipe management and sharing at its best!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 08:43 PM

It's a very "Everyone is equal; some people are more equal than others" mentality.
Chuck
___

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 08:46 PM

Hey, everyone…. I wasn’t trying to start a debate. If anyone wants to talk backchannel about the issues, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, please take this thread for what it’s intended to be: a “Man, that Brad Pitt is a loon” thread. (HungrySeacow, I’ll PM you, but I take great offense to you calling me a bigot. I’ve neither done nor said anything to deserve that moniker. Chuckit, I’ll PM you too. I’m not sure what your statement is supposed to mean, but it really doesn’t need to be hashed out on a public forum.)

L8Rs.
—Abraham Lincoln

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 09:10 PM

I like how you dismiss people who you disagree with as loons, yet take great offense at being called a bigot.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 09:12 PM

I'm just having trouble seeing what's so loony about what Pitt has said. I've thought it myself, but far fewer people are gonna notice whether V & I get married or not.

memory-minus
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 09:14 PM

Hey, everyone…. I wasn’t trying to start a debate. If anyone wants to talk backchannel about the issues, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, please take this thread for what it’s intended to be: a “Man, that Brad Pitt is a loon” thread.
Screw you and your crappy thread.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 09:16 PM

i think this tread is funny.
Signature depreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 8, 2006, 09:27 PM

This comes down to an issue of civil rights. To say that marriage is the sole property of religion is both simple minded and wrong. My wife and I were married in Biloxi, Mississippi by Judge Dewey P. Lawrance in his office in City Hall-so what church has jurisdiction over our marriage? NONE. That's because ours was a CIVIL WEDDING. We are just as married as if we'd had the Pope preside, and our marriage is recognized everywhere. So what is it that makes any other couple, whose only difference from us is that they both happen to be of the same sex? Thought so... A couple of friends of ours had to spend literally hundreds of hours and quite a lot of money to have explicitly stated powers of attorney, medical powers of attorney and so on produced for them to do much of the same thing that my wife and I did by saying "I Do" to a judge in Biloxi...and they still don't get all of the same benefits we do, simply because they're both male.

The parallels between this and the interracial marriage issue of the 1950s and 1960s are amazing. And it's still an issue of civil rights.

Now as for whether or not a Brad-Angelina marriage is a good thing or not, that's another story.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 11:19 PM

bojangles, I believe the issue you have raised is how YOU define(d) marriage. Watch out whe nvoicing opinions.

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Sep 8, 2006, 11:30 PM

GHPorter, I’m responding to your concerns privately as well. Frankly, I’m really glad there’s a moderator here. The level of intolerance in this thread is so high it’s palpable; it’s degenerated into a bunch of apparent bigots responding to a light-hearted observation with a series of personal attacks. Could we please lock this thread and all get on with our lives?

Thanks!
( Last edited by bojangles; Sep 8, 2006 at 11:51 PM. )
—Abraham Lincoln

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 11:40 PM

I agree with you 100%. To allow people of the same sex to enter into a marriage contract with each other is a horrible denial of civil rights—to them, to their children, to society, and to you and me. Furthermore, to say that marriage is the sole property of religion is both simple-minded and wrong.

Frankly, I’m really glad there’s a moderator here. The level of intolerance in this thread is so high it’s palpable; it’s degenerated into a bunch of apparent bigots responding to a light-hearted observation with a series of personal attacks. Could we please lock this thread and all get on with our lives?
Signature depreciated.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2006, 11:40 PM

Hey, everyone…. I wasn’t trying to start a debate. If anyone wants to talk backchannel about the issues, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, please take this thread for what it’s intended to be: a “Man, that Brad Pitt is a loon” thread. (HungrySeacow, I’ll PM you, but I take great offense to you calling me a bigot. I’ve neither done nor said anything to deserve that moniker. Chuckit, I’ll PM you too. I’m not sure what your statement is supposed to mean, but it really doesn’t need to be hashed out on a public forum.)

L8Rs.
You didn't want to start a debate... but you started a forum thread for people to respond to...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 11:45 PM

I'm so confused. Bojangles did you not state:

• People in same-sex relationships?
No, they’re “legally able” “to be married”; they just have to abide by the same legal definition as the rest of us.

• Polygamists?

• Children?

Were these your words?

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
I'm so confused. Bojangles did you not state:
Were these your words?
Yes, they are, and I stand by them. Brad Pitt’s statement—that “everyone [should] be able to marry”—is poorly worded at best. I’m guessing he wouldn’t want his less-than-one–year–old getting married, which was exactly the point of the original post. (My secondary point, of course, is that I find Angelina Jolie to be quite ugly. There’s plenty of beautiful people out there, both famous and otherwise; I just don’t think she’s one of them, and I know I’m not alone.)

Originally Posted by Mastrap
I like how you dismiss people who you disagree with as loons, yet take great offense at being called a bigot.
I didn’t call him a loon for disagreeing with me; I don’t like his views, but he’s welcome to have them. (A lot of people in this thread obviously disagree with me, but I haven’t called them names, have I?)

I called Brad Pitt a loon because he’s constantly acting like one. This poorly-worded statement is just the latest in a long line of ridiculousness.

Originally Posted by GoMac
You didn't want to start a debate... but you started a forum thread for people to respond to...
Yes, I started a thread about Brad Pitt saying something stupid. I wasn’t expecting people to go off on some ridiculous tangent and start attacking me.

Again I say, Moderator, please lock this. I’ve invited people to PM me if they want to, but this is going nowhere, and fast.
( Last edited by bojangles; Sep 9, 2006 at 12:50 AM. )
—Abraham Lincoln

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2006, 12:47 AM

The level of intolerance in this thread is so high it’s palpable; it’s degenerated into a bunch of apparent bigots responding to a light-hearted observation with a series of personal attacks. Could we please lock this thread and all get on with our lives?

Thanks!

First you're calling people you've never met freaks, then you complain that you're getting heat. Glasshouses and all that. The only bigot in this thread is you.

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
First you're calling people you've never met freaks, then you complain that you're getting heat. Glasshouses and all that. The only bigot in this thread is you.
Mastrap, I’m not the one insulting people on this thread.

Do you want me to say that I’m wrong to think someone I’ve never met is acting like an idiot? Fine. Maybe I should walk a mile in his shoes (or Tom Cruise’s, for that matter). The whole point of this thread is that somebody said something stupid, I laughed, and I invited others to laugh with me. Does that make me a bigot?

I laughed when I heard Yogi Berra’s comment that “Ninety percent of the game is half mental.” Does that make me a bigot?

I laughed at the lawyer who, upon learning that none of the defendant’s three children were girls, asked, “Were there any boys?” Does that make me a bigot?

I even laughed when a close friend of mine—a woman I respect very much—told me she’d love to get a Mac, but she won’t because “Mac [OS] just isn’t as pretty as [Microsoft] Windows,” and the only reason she’d get one is so she could run Windows without worrying about viruses. Does that make me a bigot?

I certainly could be mistaken, but it sounds like the only reason you think I’m a bigot is that I don’t agree with you on a particular issue. If that’s the case, I think you need to double-check the definition, cuz it’s really not the right word for this situation.

Now can we please just let this thread rest…?
—Abraham Lincoln

natnabour
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 02:24 AM

yes, i read this as well on YAHOO! news while i was bored at work.

i think its a sham. Brad Pitt doesn't want to get married therefore chose a GREAT reason why he probably would NEVER get married. the end.

USB HUB
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2006, 08:21 AM

I agree with bojangles that maybe it's time to shut this thread down. The original intent has gotten blown out of proportion(?). Although I tend to agree with bojangles. I don't think Brad thought before he spoke. Which many of us are guilty of doing

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
This thread is the only thing that is gay in here.

Oh and me.

-t

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2006, 12:53 PM

So according to this statement, Brad Pitt is advocating lowering the marriage age to zero… but what about the unborn? They’re part of “everyone.” Hey, and animals! They’re part of “everyone” too!
The only "stupid statement" is this post. I have no doubt that Brad Pitt isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but everyone knows what he was talking about, even if he didn't put it in legalistic nitpick-proof language.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2006, 01:00 PM

Do you want me to say that I’m wrong to think someone I’ve never met is acting like an idiot?
I need to find a copy of Kevin's "You took what I said and turned it into a bizarre absolute" cartoon, because that's pretty much what this thread is. It's fairly obvious what Brad Pitt was saying, but you disagreed with his political stance and chose to take his words in an overly literal manner. It's no different than me going, "You think Brad Pitt is a loon? You believe that man is a BIRD? How ridiculous are YOU?"
Chuck
___

jckalen
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 06:27 PM

He's a bird? I KNEW it.
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2006, 07:18 PM

-t