Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Multiple Genres

Multiple Genres
ckwm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 03:23 PM

I've hunted through the forums but can't find an answer to this one. If it's in there feel free to kick me!

I want to give some books multiple genres so that they sort usefully. In edit I enter the first genre. Easy. Then I want to add the second one, so I hit tab. No, that takes me to edition. OK then, I hit enter. That selects what I have just put in. I try every combination involving tab I can think of. No. Arghh!

I resort to double clicking wildly near the field. Then I give up and shout for help.

Help me

Please.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 07:37 PM

The short answer is that option-enter creates a new line in a text field. This is Apple's standard behavior, since enter alone commits changes to the field.

When sorting by genre, it helps to consider that, as far as Mac OS X and, by extension, Delicious Library, is concerned, multiline text fields are just one line, the "newline" being just another character. As such, the entire field is taken into consideration when alphabetizing.

Assuming you manage to keep your genres identical, which you can do by selecting multiple items and editing them at once, sorting by genre will then sort by creator, then title, and so forth. If you have a movie by Alfred Hitchcock and a movie by M. Night Shyamalan, and they both have a genre of:

Mystery
Suspense
Sorting by genre will put Hitchcock first. However, the moment you update Hitchcock to:

Mystery
Suspense
Classics
Shyamalan will come first, the rules of alphabetization being what they are. With this in mind, you can bend the genres to your will. For example, by leading the genre with the director's name:

Hitchcock
Mystery
Suspense
Classics

Shyamalan
Mystery
Suspense

ckwm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2007, 04:16 AM

Option-Enter!

*blushes*

Should have tried that!

Thanks for the info on the genres. I have around 1,000 books in the database and want to catagorize them using the Library of Congress system. Should work by the sound of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules