Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Scanning (via cam) without a live internet connection

Scanning (via cam) without a live internet connection
euclidjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 03:20 PM

I have several hundred or more books located in a storage facility that I'd like to scan into DL via a webcam attached to my MacBook Pro. I'd really rather not bring all the boxes home just to scan them. There's no internet connection at the facility, so DL won't be able to execute lookups and they will end up as unresolved items on the Recent Imports shelf. Will/can DL forgo the lookups altogether until there is a live internet connection and then process them all at once as a batch? Is there a maximum number of items or failed lookups it would process in this way (i.e, a maximum size for the recent imports/unresolved items shelf)?

I know that one option is the DL bluetooth scanner that can retain 500 lookups or so while out of range and then batch load them - but I'd rather not buy a scanner for the sole purpose of my initial inventory scan (does anyone rent them for something reasonable? or would there be some interest in renting one for a nominal cost if I were to buy one and try to defray the cost?).

BTW, I'm really pleased with the program - just bought it the other day when I came across it (I'm new to Macs) - looking forward to 2.0, but this is great as it is.
( Last edited by euclidjr; Aug 19, 2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: edited for clarity)

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2007, 05:06 PM

You can scan items in without an internet connection. The lookups will fail, but when you get home, you can reload the failed lookups and they will continue as if you had just scanned them in anew.

Forum Links
Forum Rules