Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro ships with *old* keyboard

Mac Pro ships with *old* keyboard
traak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 07:53 PM

Hey.

received my brand new Mac Pro, open the box and to my utter disappointment: There's the frickin' old, white keyboard in there. I was so expecting the new, silver one.

Is that Apple's way of clearing stock?

Will go and buy a silver one on Monday.

Torsten
---
Mac Pro // 2.66 // 8GB // 1.75TB internal // Drobo w/ 2x 750GB // 22" LCD
Mac Mini // 1.66 // 2GB // 60GB
iBook 14" // 1.42 // 1.5GB // 60GB

Cold Warrior
Oct 27, 2007, 08:11 PM

Personally, it sounds like a mistake or something that can be argued. I'd call Apple and inform them of their 'mistake', and give them the opportunity to send you a new one. When I go to the online Apple Store and click on the Mac Pro, its 'what's in the box' listing just says Apple Keyboard. To me, that's the new one -- especially since the iMac also says 'Apple Keyboard' as in the box, and we all know the iMac comes with the current keyboard.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 08:16 PM

Well, it's not a mistake. they only change the peripherals with product refreshes. However, I agree with Cold Warrior.
Linkinus is king.

Un-Inferior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 11:03 PM

i think buying another keyboard is a little extreme.
MacBook Pro 15" + 23" Cinema HD
Dell XPS 410 + 2007WFP

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 05:56 AM

I totally get it. Even though brokenjago's point is well taken (you couldn't expect it), if you like the other one, a few bucks is nothing. It is your only tactile interface with your world of ideas, stored on your $3~4000 machine... its gotta be good. Definately not an extreme view, perfectly sane. You don't buy a lamborghini and skip on the steering wheel.

One question though. With the new MPs imminent, why did you buy now? No disrespect, just want to understand it. Our accountant is writhing in agony with his early G4, waiting for the new MP, so he can inherit the graphic designer's G5 Quad... but none of us here will give in... we will wait, even if our knuckles go white holding on to our desks resisting the impulse to rush down to the Apple Store. Damn it, Steve, Come f-ing on already! This is excruciating.

PS The graphic designer however is in no her, and likes her G5 just fine

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 01:27 PM

Wait until November 13th. Intel drops the new chips then.
Linkinus is king.

nikstar101
Oct 28, 2007, 02:10 PM

I think only the new iMacs come with the fancy new keyboard, which is a bit odd since the Mac-Pros have been Aluminum for a lot longer than the iMacs.

Nick

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2007, 03:11 PM

Buy the new one, sell the old one on ebay. I sold my old-type wireless keyboard in September for about $50. If you take decent pictures and show that it has barely been used, you will get a lot for it, trust me.

(Apple White Bluetooth Pro Keyboard - (eBay item 230174948727 end time Sep-26-07 09:02:48 PDT))
A decent number of people think the new kb is too flimsy / not good for people with large fingers, etc. They will buy your old one without a doubt.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

traak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 03:31 PM

Apple told me they can't help me. The Mac Pro still ships with the good, old white keyboard... Well, it is what it is, I guess

I bought the Mac Pro now, because I don't think we'll see an upgrade before sometime in Q1 2008. And I just didn't want to wait until then. Over and above the upgrade will probably only address the ultra high-end configurations (faster Xeons?). While those upgrades might bring lower-end prices down also, I went for the 2.66 version and got a nice discount because Apple runs my companies ERP system and we are eligible for Apple's corporate discount program.

So, I paid 2299,- for the standard config and bought RAM and Disks off OWC and Newegg. Overall I paid < 3200 for a Mac Pro 2.66 with 8GB RAM and 1.75TB of disks.

On the keyboard matter I now decided to give the Logitech S530 a try. Also from Newegg. Should arrive on Thursday. I've read some good reviews about it.

Any takers for an absolutely unused / untouched, white, wired Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse (Chicago)? I know this belongs into the Marketplace section, but I don't want to split up the post. I have immaculate eBay feedback and have done business on this forum also.

Cheers.
Torsten
---
Mac Pro // 2.66 // 8GB // 1.75TB internal // Drobo w/ 2x 750GB // 22" LCD
Mac Mini // 1.66 // 2GB // 60GB
iBook 14" // 1.42 // 1.5GB // 60GB

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2007, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by traak View Post
I paid 2299
That is a good reason. Lucky you.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2007, 05:38 PM

You're right. The thin sexy aluminum keyboard is only bundled with the new iMac or sold separately.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 12:43 AM

I predict new MPs within 2 weeks. Intel will release their next processor revision, and it looks as if Intel will reserve the first batch of high clock speeds for Apple (like they did with the first Quad 3.0GHz units).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
I predict new MPs within 2 weeks. Intel will release their next processor revision, and it looks as if Intel will reserve the first batch of high clock speeds for Apple (like they did with the first Quad 3.0GHz units).
Seconded.

macnnjay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 02:13 AM

Maybe the new keyboard is consumer-level only?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by macnnjay View Post
Maybe the new keyboard is consumer-level only?
I highly doubt that. It's more expensive and it fits the MP's looks a lot better.

carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2007, 09:57 PM

Personally, after ordering a bunch of spare keyboards for work, I have ordered the new silver model and old white model keyboards and when I get asked to order more, I have been asked to stay to the white ones. I have even gone as far to pull some older white keyboards out of labs to swap with a new one because an instructor did not like the new ones.

Myself, I prefer the white ones, but that's just me.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2007, 11:50 PM

^^^ I agree. I MUCH prefer the feel of the white keyboard to the silver one. While the silver one looks good, it sacrifices function for form IMO.

ie. If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd consider myself lucky.

YMMV, of course...

Forum Links
Forum Rules