Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Safeware - The Laptop Guy issue

Safeware - The Laptop Guy issue
NDBounce
Senior User
Oct 4, 2007, 02:47 PM

I am posting this because I know that many people here use Safeware to insure their laptops. I have been using Safeware since at least 2002 and have been pleased...BUT I never had to make a claim until last month.

The issue is that Safeware uses a company called The Laptop Guy based out of Columbus, Ohio to do thier repairs. I have seen Todd Feit (The founder's) posts here on MacNN defending his company. However, I would like to share my experience and urge anyone who has a Safeware Claim to demand that Safeware NOT use The Laptop Guy for their repairs.

I sent in my computer after having accidentally dropped it. I was pretty certain the issue was the Hard Drive was damaged. I say this because I could boot from an OS 10.4 DVD but could not see a hard drive to reinstall the OS on to. I filed a Safeware claim and the computer was sent to The Laptop Guy.

The Laptop Guy took a long time to diagnose the problem (They received it on 9/11/07 and did not complete diagnosis until 9/18/07. They repaired the machine on 9/27/07 sent it through their QC process on 9/27/07. I received the computer the next day 9/28/07. When I opened the box the computer was there, along with a physically broken power adapter and an extra part (a hard drive bracket). I happened to open this in a classroom full of Catholic Seminarians (of which I am one), who also witnessed me open the box. In fact we were even joking about the extra part being in the box. The box was also lacking my 2 DVD ROMS (the OEM Software that came with my Powerbook G4).

I immediately talked with a seminarian who is a Lawyer and he advised me to make written note of all the issues and fax it to Safeware. In so doing, I also noted that the Computer had been chipped by a blunt instrument (probably a screwdriver).

I then proceeded to restore my data from my backup drive (using my 10.4 DVD to reinstall the OS as not only did The Laptop Guy not return my DVD's (which contain 10.3) but did not install any OS on the system. When I did this I noted two things. 1) The computer only had 256MB of RAM and 2) The hard drive had a S.M.A.R.T. Status of failing. Furthermore, I was pretty certain that the Toshiba serial number on the hard drive was the same (gathered from System Profile). I looked at the invoice that came with the computer and noticed the work done listed a new 80GB hard drive had been installed and that 512MB of PC2700 had been installed. I immediately sent another letter by Fax and mail to Safeware.

I then contacted Apple via an Apple Retail Store to see if they could trace the serial number of the hard drive to the one originally installed in my Mac. The Apple Genius told me that the hard drive matched the serial number range originally installed on my computer. I also had him confirm the bracket that was in the box returned to me belonged in the machine (in fact he offered to put it in for free, but I told him not to b/c I needed to being this to the attention of my insurer).

The response I received was amazing. Safeware talked to the Laptop Guy. The Laptop Guy claimed:
1. A new hard drive was installed in the machine (and that Apple cannot track serial numbers to machines anyway)
2. They installed 512MB of memory in the machine (despite the fact that the chip itself is labeled PC2700 256MB).
3. The extra part was an extra that accidentally was placed in the box, and that it did not belong in the computer (despite the fact that the Apple Genius informed me that the bracket was missing from the computer and showed me the place where it belongs (and I have pictures of this).
4. The DVD-ROM's were in the box when they shipped it to me (of which I have about 20 seminarians who can testify to the fact that when I opened the box in class there was an extra part and no DVD's.
5. That the power adapter was damaged when they received the computer.
6. The cosmetic damage was caused by someone else (implicitly me) despite the fact that I have pictures showing the computer before I sent it in, and after I received it, and I have witnesses who can testify to the damage being on the computer when I received it.

I have been back and forth with the insurance company, Safeware, who has been good albeit a little slow in the process and they are having Apple repair the damage caused by The Laptop Guy. Today I spoke with the garage manager of the Laptop Guy (his name is Jeremy). Jeremy insisted that the hard drive was replaced. I asked him why the orange Apple seal/tape was still on the computer and why the hard drive had a 3 year old serial number. He told me that they replaced it with a hard drive from another Powerbook G4 (I used to be a tech person, and I can say I would never replace a bad hard drive with a three year old used hard drive). Then I asked him why his Quality Control did not catch the fact that it's SMART status was failing. He then told me it was not failing when it left The Laptop Guy. I then asked him about the RAM, he insists that The Laptop Guy installed 512 MB of RAM despite the fact that I have pictures of the RAM, the chip says 256MB on it and that the system profiler says 256mb of RAM. I then asked about my DVD's and from this point on in our conversation all his answers to any of my questions is Safeware is dealing with this. Finally I asked to speak to the owner, after a lengthy conversation about whether or not the owner had a phone (at one point he told me the owner did not have a phone), he told me I could send an email to [email protected]. I asked for the owner (Todd Feit's) name, and he refused to give it to me. I then asked for his name, and he said Jeremy. I asked if he had a last name and he refused to give that to me. I then asked him if Todd Feit was the owner (a google search will show he is the founder and presumably owner) and he said he would not confirm or deny that information.

Anway, I have a lot of documentation on this, from photos to records of conversations with Apple, if anyone would like to question me, I would be happy to provide more info. I am also hoping I will get a call from Todd Feit. I would like to give him a chance to respond to this, and I will post the results of any conversation I have with him. In the meantime I advise anyone who has a Safeware claim to insist on not having their machine sent to The Laptop Guy. A google search will show that another MacNN poster had a similar frustrations with this company.

Please pass this information along to anyone.

And because I am trying to hold Mr. Feit accountable, I will proudly use my own name.

Brian Carpenter

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2007, 03:26 PM

It would be interesting to see the damage and proof of non-repair, a whole MacNN of witnesses (kind of).

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Oct 4, 2007, 03:46 PM

I would be willing to upload my pictures if someone can provide me with a way to do this. I have a picture that shows the Memory modue, a picture that shows the scratch, a picture that shows the hard drive currently sitting in the bay (with a 3 year old serial number) and no bracket, and a picture that shows the bracket. I can upload all of these. I do not have dot mac, and my laptop is currently being returned to me so that I can have Apple repair the damage caused by The Laptop Guy.

Furthermore, I just received a response from the owner of The Laptop Guy informing me that "Due to these very serious and unfounded claims, and your threats that you intend to post these unfounded and untrue claims on the internet we have put us in a position where we are no longer able to communicate with you on this matter."

So I will say that The Laptop Guy is continuing to deny my claims. However, I have pictures and documentation. That along with the fact that I am studying to be a Catholic Priest (no jokes please, but ask yourself if someone who was seeking to be a priest is the type who is likely to try to ruin a computer repair facility's reputation for the fun of it). Not only that, but my classmates are partial witnesses as they saw me open the computer box, and joked with me about th extra part (and the missing DVD's).

Furthermore, I am not seeking some ridiculous amount of money, I am simply frustrated that I have not had use of my computer for over a month, largely due to the Laptop Guy, and now I still have probably another week of waiting while Apple repairs the damage. I do not want others to go through what I went through. I merely want a working computer.

Anyway SeanC, if you have suggestions how I should post pictures, please let me know.

Also does anyone else find it somewhat odd that a company would replace a bad hard drive with a 3 year old used drive? I mean old drives are not really that reliable, and new drives not that expensive, why not put in a new drive? And does anyone elsoe find it highly improbable that the drive went from a normal (or verified) SMART status in their facility to a Failing one from the moment I installed an OS on it? And I don't know how they can deny the RAM chip is a 256MB chip. And that extra part....arrg...I am getting more frustrated just typing this. Calm down, breath...

Bounce!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2007, 05:16 PM

It seems more likely that they may have just un-plugged and plugged back in your old hard drive. It could well be that the cable was loose from the fall and I expect it (the HDD) was damaged from the fall.
Serial numbers should be unique, no one drive should have the same as another.

I also agree about hard drives getting more unreliable as they get older, unless they're brand new but have spent 3 years brand new in the box on a shelf, which I doubt one out of another PowerBook did.
This is pure lazyness and/or deceit on part of the Laptop Guy.

They also lost your discs and broke your power adapter. I would expect them to either replace these items, offer you some sort of deal/compensation or replace the laptop completely.

As for hosting pictures, flickr or photobucket would work fine

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Oct 4, 2007, 06:27 PM

Okay, I uploaded the photos to Flickr.

Here is the URL Laptop Guy Repair - a photoset on Flickr

Please make people aware of this situation. I would be interested to hear what others think.

Peace,

Brian

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Oct 7, 2007, 10:02 AM

An Update -

I did finally receive my DVD-ROMs back in a package from UPS. I guess despite the Laptop Guy's insistence that this was included with the original package, they were able to find the DVD-ROM's still in their shop (Note: these are not new replacement DVD's as they are clearly in used condition with minor scratches (I am not accusing the Laptop Guy of causing the scratches, as I am sure that these discs had minor scratches when I sent them, they still work)). I guess despite the fact that the company assured me that their QC could not have possibly allowed them to send back the computer without the DVD-ROMs, they must have done so, as I just received them in a separate box on Friday.

Maybe, just maybe, this means that the same QC that claimed to have put the DVD-ROMs in my original box, also did not notice the hard drive was not replaced or that the bracket was not put back into the computer or that the wrong amount of RAM was installed or that the case was scratched.

Brian

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2007, 01:07 PM

Interesting development. Glad you got them back, its proof that they were lying all along.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 12:15 AM

The Laptop guy.. I don't think I'll ever do business with them. Ever.
Linkinus is king.

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Oct 12, 2007, 12:29 AM

Hopefully this will be the final update I need to do regarding this situation. I received a call from Safeware today informing me that they are issuing me a check so that I can have Apple repair the machine. Since the repair is pretty costly, this is a welcome relief. Hopefully I will have my computer running by next week.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2007, 12:31 PM

This is good to hear that Safeware is taking care of you. But I do have a question.

Why do people get coverage through Safeware and not Applecare? Just not sure why you'd go that route.

In any case, glad your lappy is getting fixed.

jamito
Oct 12, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
This is good to hear that Safeware is taking care of you. But I do have a question.

Why do people get coverage through Safeware and not Applecare? Just not sure why you'd go that route.

In any case, glad your lappy is getting fixed.
Safeware is insurance, so it covers accidents. Applecare is a warranty, so it only covers manufacturer's defect rather than accidents.
ibook 14", 600 mhz, 384mb ram
mbp 15", 2.2ghz SR C2D, 2 gb ram, 128vram, 20" ACD
powermac dc 2.3ghz, 2.5 gb ram, 20" ACD
3g 30gb ipod, 5g 60gb video ipod, 2g 4gb blue ipod nano, isight

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 12, 2007, 03:44 PM

Although insurance on a laptop is a great idea, I've personally stayed away from safeware because they use The Laptop Guy for repairs.

I can't believe those Flickr photos, that's insane.

I also think it's hilarious that I've seen that Todd guy on here trying to defend himself when all he does is make his company look even worse.

scaredpoet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2007, 06:20 PM

Well, I just wanted to chime and and say thanks for providing this info! I had safeware on my previous laptop (A thinkpad) and was considering safeware again for my MacBook Pro. But I think after hearing this and seeing the "quality" of the repair, I think the safer route might be to go with my auto/home insurance company and have them do a rider. At least that way I can insure that apple does the repairs, and the insurance company will just cut me a check.

Thanks again!

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Oct 15, 2007, 12:49 AM

Your welcome for the info. I don't want anyone to have to go through the hassle I had to go through. While I am finally getting a check, I was without my computer for over 7 weeks, and had to fight to get anything done.

The Laptop Guy still denies any problems.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2007, 08:47 AM

Yeah I can see the need for that. Too many times I've had to worry about spilling something on my lappy or dropping it on the concrete. But I tihnk I'll be going through my home insurance now. Thanks for the heads up

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2007, 01:16 PM

The problem with homeowners is deductable and them raising rates! My deductable on Homeowners is $5,000. It cut my rate by more than 35%. I am "self insuring" small risk.

I have used Safeware for years, but now as my collection of PBs are mostly ancient. I find the risk out ways the gains. I always have a few spare TIPB around and data is backed up redundately.

MCEscher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2007, 12:51 PM

I had just done a Google search for The Laptop Guy (They have good advertising.), when I came across a review that led me here.

A few months back I had a bad experience with a company in Columbus called Capital City Appliance Service. (Like the OP's experience, it was also a warranty service referral.) When I did a BBB search on them I was horrified to find out that they had almost 20 different complaints in the past 3 years.

So, when I came across NDBounce's review and post here, I thought that I should give the Laptop Guy the benefit of the doubt and do a BBB search. After all, anyone can have one bad experience with one customer and have him write a complaint.

Here's the link: Central Ohio BBB

The key part of the story is this:

The BBB processed a total of 13 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period.Of the total of 13 complaints closed in 36 months, 7 were closed in the last year.
I also did a BBB search on Laptop Repair and found two companies with ZERO complaints in the last 36 months and which were also BBB accredited. They were "Gem Laptop" and "Laptop Professional".

So thank you ND...
Not only did you steer me clear of another bad experience waiting to happen, you indirectly led me to two different good places to go that are right here in Columbus.

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Oct 18, 2007, 02:47 PM

Glad I could help. As I stated earlier, I hope nobody has to go through what I have been through. While in the end Safeware did pay to have Apple repair my computer, I was without my computer for 7 weeks. I was having to borrow a friend's laptop to complete my schoolwork (when he wasn't using it). That was at the very least inconvenient.

LaptopGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 02:05 PM

Remove remove remove
( Last edited by LaptopGuy; Feb 8, 2011 at 01:40 PM. )

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2007, 02:12 PM

Todd,
at this point, the damage is done. You had a chance to rectify the situation but you didn't. Instead blame was shifted. Sorry but guys like you give real techs a bad name. I can see from your post that it's all about numbers to you. Difference between you and me, is its about customer satisfaction and quality with me.

We've seen numerous horror stories with your company Todd, and you ALWAYS come on here saying exactly the same thing... "I've done X number of laptop repairs.. yada yada yada..." and yet we never hear back from anyone that had a problem with you that you actually went above and beyond to fix a problem. So sorry but your rep here is pretty much in the toilet. If I were you I'd go back and work on my quality control. Slow down and reduce the number of repairs you take in and make sure that each and every one gets done right. If that means you have to do it yourself... well it's your company. Cowboy the F*ck up and do the work.

Bishop

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 02:38 PM

As someone who has not had any dealings with Safeware or the Laptop Guy, I'm going to post how it looks to me, based on NDBounce says your representatives said, and your side of the story.

Originally Posted by LaptopGuy View Post
I'm simply amazed about all the assumptions people have made about our company. We repair thousands laptops every year for Safeware and the general public outside of insurance work. I'm not going to debate the details about this recent case other then the fact that we were never given the opportunity to inspect the laptop after claims were made. If we made a mistake it would have been corrected. At no time did anyone every say the problems were not going to be corrected.
Ok. First, the guy got his laptop back and there was obviously (to him) nothing done with it, and pieces were missing, etc. He contacted Safeware first. Are you suggesting he should have called you first? As I see it, he contracted with Safeware, not you. It seems like it was Safeware's responsibility to see that the laptop got repaired properly.

Safeware contacted you (the company), and you said the work contracted for had been done. First mistake you made (in my eyes). You simply assumed that the work had been done. You did not ask for the laptop back to verify that the work was never done. (Unless NDBounce left that part out, which he could have done).

Then he spoke with a representative of your company, who, if his account is to be believed, made a HUGE mistake. This Jeremy person apparently approached him thinking, "We're right, he's wrong." No, that's NOT the attitude your people should be taking. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS approach a complaint as if you messed up, and investigate from there. Don't immediately assume the customer is lying.

And then, when NDBounce wanted to talk to the owner (you), Jeremy said you didn't have a phone. Wrong. When a customer is angry enough that he feels he has to talk to the person ultimately in charge, be up front about it. Don't try to avoid them. He then asked if you, Todd Feit, were the owner of the company, and Jeremy said he "could neither confirm nor deny that information." What?? That further makes you look like you're trying to hide something, or refuse to accept responsibility.

Then he receives a note from you saying that "Due to these very serious and unfounded claims, and your threats that you intend to post these unfounded and untrue claims on the internet we have put us in a position where we are no longer able to communicate with you on this matter." When a customer is clearly angry enough that he feels the only way to get satisfactory results is to post his experience in a public forum like this the last thing you want to do is refuse to try and work things out.

If you approach every complaint, no matter how unjustified as if "the customer is always right," you will look better in the end. But when you keep insisting that the customer is mistaken, that you actually did the work without investigating, and then try and evade the customer when he wants to discuss the issue with a higher up, it really does appear to us that you don't want to deal with the problem.

Now, I could be wrong, but let's here from a few other members here to see if they agree with me or disagree with me about my interpretation of the situation, and then you can respond to the issues we identify.

LaptopGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 03:24 PM

Remove Remove
( Last edited by LaptopGuy; Feb 8, 2011 at 01:41 PM. )

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2007, 10:23 AM

The problem is there are allot of facts left out. What everyone has to understand is Brian is not our customer but Safeware's. Now we don't mind talking to the customer when they have questions. However, he made serious allegations to Safeware about us when he received his laptop back. We had an in person meeting to with Safeware before we had any contact with Brian. It was made clear that Brian would not send the laptop back to us. Brian assumed the worst. He should have just called Safeware and said I got my laptop back and it’s not fixed and I'm sending back. Safeware then would contact us and we would resolve the issue.
I'm sure there were a lot of facts left out. Perhaps Safeware should make it more clear to people to let them handle disputes with you if they're the ones contracting with you for the repairs. It seems most of the cases talked about here happened when Safeware customers tried to deal with you directly.

The Laptop Guy was not able to investigate the claims as he made it clear to Safeware that he wouldn’t send it back to The Laptop Guy. Mind you he had emailed Safeware a long letter about criminal activates that The Laptop Guy had engaged in concerning his repair.
Probably on the advice of a lawyer. He did note that in his posts.

That is why we indicated to him
Due to these very serious and unfounded claims, and your threats that you intend to post these unfounded and untrue claims on the internet we have put us in a position where we are no longer able to communicate with you on this matter."

All the statement indicated was that we wouldn’t communicate with him directly. I didn’t mean safeware was not going to address the issue. Safeware is our customer and if given the chance would have complied with Safeware’s wishes
Did you say that he should contact Safeware to discuss the issue with them and they would discuss it with you. The way the above statement reads, one assumes (I do and I think NDBounce did) that you mean "no longer able to communicate at all on the matter."

The mistake was having a Laptop Guy employee contact Brian directly. If Brian had been using our services outside of Safeware then it would have made sense. However, being an insurance client we should have directed him back to Safeware. In general we never communicate with the customer directly when it’s a Safeware issue.

I do agree Jeremy didn't handle the situation the best but nor has he ever dealt with an issue like this. He was simply returning Brian's call. Should I fire him? I didn’t call Brian because I don’t personally work on Macs and he would have the knowledge to do so
No, don't fire him, but I think maybe instructing your staff to let a Safeware client know that they should go through Safeware to resolve a problem instead of stonewalling them might be the better way to go.

Everyone has such an angry tone. We are all human beings. We can have a discussion as adults without being insulting. Person Man your questions where fine.
Well, to be fair, I think your previous posts defending your company came across as somewhat condescending and overly defensive making it look like you had something to hide.

This last post of yours is much more reasonable than any of the others you've made in defense of your company.

In the meantime, treating the customer politely and with respect when handling a complaint can turn an angry customer into a repeat one. Even if the problem ultimately turns out to be not your fault.

LaptopGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2007, 10:35 AM

Remove Remove
( Last edited by LaptopGuy; Feb 8, 2011 at 01:41 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 02:36 PM

It was made clear that Brian would not send the laptop back to us. Brian assumed the worst.
That's just bizarre.

Brian didn't ASSUME the worst - he got back an UNREPAIRED laptop with PARTS MISSING. The thing was in WORSE SHAPE than before!

Where's the assumption here? Where would he have had ANY chance to give the benefit of the doubt? Was he to "assume" that maybe, just maybe, the UPS guy removed a screw, scratching the topcase in the process, and then managed to close the computer with the screw lying on the top corner of the topcase, leaving that imprint? Or that it was fairies?

Which other factor should he have considered in your opinion before making any assumptions?

He should have just called Safeware and said I got my laptop back and it’s not fixed and I'm sending back. Safeware then would contact us and we would resolve the issue.
If I got back my machine in that condition from an authorized repair center, I wouldn't give them another chance.

Learn that the hard way, if you must.

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2007, 05:51 PM

Sounds like a good scam they have going on. So Safeware uses The Laptop Guy exclusively for repairs. The laptop comes in with an easy fix, but The Laptop Guy can't bill Safeware for much. So they invoice Safeware $$$ for new hard drive etc.., but plug the old one right back in and keep some memory / OEM disks for their "stock". Multiply this scam by the 1000's and The Laptop Guy's pockets are pretty fat. Can this scam be true?
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2007, 07:43 PM

Person Man,

...Brian Carpenter was not our customer but Safeware.
The Laptop Guy
Todd,
that right there tells me ALL I need to know about you. I think everyone here would agree that if you take someone's computer in for repair, it doesn't matter if safeware is paying you, it's the owner who's your customer.

There's no excuse for your attitude. You are clearly a man who's out to scam as many people as he can before he has to move on to the next con. I'll be sure to make a note of your company name and Safeware as well and I'll be telling ALL my customers what a rip off artist you are.

And please.. don't send me anymore ... overly agressive PM's. I'll refrain from saying it was threatening, but I certainly did not appreciate the tone of your PM. Next time I'll consider it a threat and take appropriate steps through the Admins, and if need be, your local police department.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 03:32 PM

I called Safeware about a quote today, and they assured me that from now on, for all Apple repairs they will be sending the machines down to an AASP in Texas called CTS.

Hopefully they're better than the Laptop Guy.
Linkinus is king.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 12:44 PM

That is truely good to hear. I remember reading sometime last year, this same problem with another forum member, but when he called safeware, they told him they wouldn't change providers. If they're truely changing, good for them. They don't need to be associated with a guy like Todd.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 07:50 PM

I couldn't agree more.
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules