Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Problems since Memory Upgrade

Problems since Memory Upgrade
webraider
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2008, 01:43 AM

Hey guys (Or gals),
I just recently upgraded my MacPro from 2 Gig to 3 gig via Apple Memory purchased from OWC. I took care to make sure that I did it on the correct risers what not. The computer booted up fine and passes the "Apple Hardware Test". I've noticed that My canon Scanner LIDE 35, everytime I go to use it.. It tells me there's not enough memory. I also have noticed that my EyeTV has a hard time in "Full Screen Mode" displaying images correctly (Wide screen vs Letter Box). These are both new problems. Could this be BAD Memory???? Everything else seems to work and faster. I'm using my Ram as a buffer for my video with EyeTV fyi which I prefer than using my Hard Disk.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 01:14 PM

If your memory passed AHT, then it's a software problem. Sometimes a program isn't expecting more than 2GB of physical memory and adding more will cause problems (ie Windows XP sound recorder).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 01:19 PM

OS X apps should not have problems with <2GBs of RAM. That may have been a limitation in the Windows consumer world until fairly recently, but it's never been a problem on our platform.

Bad memory can manifest itself in various ways, but usually it causes applications to crash or worse. If you have any doubts, take the RAM out and see if the problems continue.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules