Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Can I use a PC Clone to run OS X and Final Cut Pro?

Can I use a PC Clone to run OS X and Final Cut Pro?
MacZilla2007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2008, 12:34 PM

I kind of need some help on this one as a guy is selling a nice computer with these following specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Processor: Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz
Graphics Card: BFG Nvidia 8800 GT OC 512mb Card (pci express 16x)
Memory: 8 gigs Corsair XMS 800MHz DDR2 performance memory
Storage: 500 gig Sata hard drive, 320 gig Sata drive
Optical Drive: 16x dvd+-rw drive
USB: 8 connections (usb 2.0)
Firewire: 3 connections
Other: All in one media card reader , 3 e-sata connections, built in 802.11 b/g wireless card, Optical out (for connection to stereo with full dolby digital)

Operating Systems: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Leopard OS X 10.5.2 (fully working)

He wants 1,700.00 which if I bought an Apple unit it would cost me a bundle that’s why I am thinking of buying it.

Now the question is I want to buy it yet are there problems that I might have to deal with later when loading Apple Software and other Apple type peripherals on the unit?

Thank you for your help

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2008, 12:41 PM

Yes, there will be problems if you try to get normal software updates because it's a hacked installation of OS X you're talking about. It sounds like a nice system but unless you're comfortable fixing its problems I'd consider real Apple hardware.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
May 15, 2008, 12:41 PM

Clones can be rife with problems when it comes to software and upgrades. Apple could release a tiny OS upgrade (10.5.3) which could fix application issues or performance (just speculating; I'm not up on any current bugs) but kill the clone's ability to boot.

I'd stay away from it if you're looking for long-term OS X usability.

MacZilla2007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2008, 01:08 PM

Thank you I thought as much I do have to admit with all those specs it sounds to good to pass up.

Again that's why I come to the forums.

Thank you

OreoCookie
May 15, 2008, 01:14 PM

$1700?
You can easily get an iMac for that -- including a licence of OS X and iLife.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacZilla2007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2008, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the thought "OreoCookie" another question would be is an iMac, MacBook Pro or Mac Pro better for video editing?

I have another offer for a MacBook Pro yet I am typing away on one now yet when I go to render items the temperature gets so hot I have had it up to 185-190. It's the Dual Core 1.86 model apples first run. Yet will the newer ones run hot or are they finally running cooler?

Thank you again.
( Last edited by MacZilla2007; May 15, 2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Gave temperature.)

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2008, 02:39 PM

I've done basic video editing on my iMac (20" Mid-2007, 2.4GHz, Core 2 Duo) without any problems. In fact, it didn't seem like it broke a sweat.

OreoCookie is right-it's better to spend that sort of money on a Mac instead of a "no telling if it really works" PC. And we here frown upon helping people violate software licensing agreements anyway-Apple's license is ONLY for running OS X on a Mac-branded computer. On top of that, there's no telling whether this Gigabyte motherboard will really act enough like a Mac for OS X to function properly. Sure, there are ways to make just about anything "run," but do you want to put that much money into a bet like this? Buy a Mac. You won't turn back.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 03:28 PM

Hackintosh is fun for use at home, but I wouldn't use it for anything that work depends on. I'll probably buy a copy of Leopard and install it on a second drive in my shiny new PC, but I expect updates to have to come from third parties. Also, $1700 is a bit high for that machine; the parts are worth perhaps $1250 new including software.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
$1700?
You can easily get an iMac for that -- including a licence of OS X and iLife.
And iMac is about half the computer: half the CPU, half the disk, a half the RAM, half the video card, etc.

Originally Posted by MacZilla2007 View Post
Thanks for the thought "OreoCookie" another question would be is an iMac, MacBook Pro or Mac Pro better for video editing?

I have another offer for a MacBook Pro yet I am typing away on one now yet when I go to render items the temperature gets so hot I have had it up to 185-190. It's the Dual Core 1.86 model apples first run. Yet will the newer ones run hot or are they finally running cooler?
A Mac Pro is obviously the best for video editing; it's also the most expensive and least portable.

80-85C is a typical maximum temperature (the CPU will begin to slow down to avoid getting hotter) for all generations of MacBook Pros.

MacZilla2007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2008, 03:41 PM

mduell

Thank you for the thought of the going the route of a high-end desktop unit. I do believe that prudent in the long run as you are able to expand, add cards, Hard Disks, even more RAM as that is the power to make it crunch out those numbers when rendering. I really didn’t want to go for the Mac Pro yet it seems that is the way to go in the long run. To the room and the forum thank you for your time and your thoughts as they helped.

Now I just have to find one to fit my budget.

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2008, 03:51 PM

For heavy video editing, you can't beat the Mac Pro. Check for a refurb straight from Apple-they provide the same warranty on refurbs as they do for new machines, so you're not missing out on anything, really. You're still looking at at least $2000, and you'll need a monitor worthy of the video you'll be editing as well. Don't worry about how much RAM is in a refurb unit—top it out with third party RAM for much less money.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
May 15, 2008, 04:03 PM

Just to give you an alternative: you can connect a second monitor to an iMac as well. You will probably be a lot happier with the screen estate of two monitors rather than just one.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
May 25, 2008, 03:57 PM

Here are some deals on the lowendmac.com website for the Mac Pros. Check out their value guide if you get a chance:
Best Mac Pro Prices

MacZilla2007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2008, 02:04 PM

ApeInTheShell,

I went there and it looks pretty good....

Thank you.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2008, 02:24 PM

Check out the Refurbished and Clearance Mac Pros at the Apple Store. Apple treats them "as new," and are eligible for full warranty.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules