Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Two iMac connect Ethernet through router, same for Airport ?

Two iMac connect Ethernet through router, same for Airport ?
MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2011, 02:31 AM

When I have two iMacs connected via ethernet through my router, I can see the other iMac and access it in Devices in Finder window.

Other iMac doesn't have Airport.

If I get another iMac that has Airport, or indeed any other unauthorised user access to my router, will I be able to see / access it ?

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

sfederman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2011, 09:24 PM

In general (with one caveat), yes - it doesn't matter how the computers are networked to the same router, what matters is that they are connected. If you can use services like filesharing when the iMacs are connected via ethernet, you will still be able to use these services when connected via Airport.

The caveat is this - some routers isolate the wireless network from the wired one, though this feature can be shut off, and typically is not activated by default. What type of router are you using?

Finally, you may or may not be able to see unauthorized users in the Finder window. If a computer is not advertising any services (such as Filesharing, or Screen Sharing), then you may not be able to see it listed there. There are other ways to see users on your network, however, one typical place is on your router's administration page.

Cold Warrior
Jul 5, 2011, 10:59 PM

Viewing and accessing are different things, so you'd be able to see wifi devices in your router's client table but not access them unless they had some settings enabled to open them up.

MacNNUK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2011, 11:09 PM

I discovered this, not quite what I was asking, but somewhat relevant,

How to Create a Wireless Ad-Hoc Network between Macs - Video - For Dummies

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Forum Links
Forum Rules