Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Why do you believe what you believe?

Why do you believe what you believe? (Page 6)
Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Is this an example of religion being divisive Waragainstsleep?
Yeah it was a cheap shot. Couldn't resist.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

screener
Senior User
Aug 10, 2011, 04:43 AM

Now this thread really got stupid.

Every time I hear an athlete thank god for allowing him, her, to beat someone it just confirms my disdain for religion is validated.

But hey, believe what you want, just let me see topless cheerleaders, deal?

freudling
Banned
Aug 10, 2011, 01:07 PM

Does anyone actually read Uncle Skeleton's posts? A british expatriate living in Seattle whom goes by the tradename "Pontificator".

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2011, 01:09 PM

OH I would prob get along great with Uncle Skeleton in real life then.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2011, 01:15 PM

Wow. I have no idea whom you're talking about, but it's not me

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I didn't say it wasn't valid. But making up your own beliefs about something with little more than you feelings seems a bit shallow to me.
Did you read anything I posted? The way you talk about what I believe in seems like you are trying to paint me as having pulled it straight out of my ass minutes before posting in this thread.

I have reconciled my distaste for organized religion, while keeping my overall faith intact because of a myriad of reasons and personal experiences, to see them called shallow is an insult and I expected more from you.

Remember this in the future the next time you are frustrated dealing with a hard-headed atheist that belittles your beliefs, because that is exactly what you have done here.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Wow. I have no idea whom you're talking about, but it's not me
Maybe a little slander and defamation will shut you up. That's what you get for not falling in lock-step boy!

Welcome, the water's fine.
ebuddy

Railroader
Banned
Aug 11, 2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Did you read anything I posted? The way you talk about what I believe in seems like you are trying to paint me as having pulled it straight out of my ass minutes before posting in this thread.

I have reconciled my distaste for organized religion, while keeping my overall faith intact because of a myriad of reasons and personal experiences, to see them called shallow is an insult and I expected more from you.

Remember this in the future the next time you are frustrated dealing with a hard-headed atheist that belittles your beliefs, because that is exactly what you have done here.
You are right, that did come off as insulting. Poor word choice on my part. Please forgive me.

I have no doubt that you have thought extensively about the beliefs you have.

I should have stopped with my initial sentence of "I didn't say it wasn't valid." Your beliefs are yours and are as valid as any other's.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2011, 01:43 PM

Thanks RR, I appreciate it.

If nothing else, you can take solace in the fact I am no longer an asshole atheist.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 11, 2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
If nothing else, you can take solace in the fact I am no longer an asshole atheist.
I do, I really really do.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep
...a lack of evidence can constitute evidence
...Please explain where this detailed wikipedia article is wrong:

Argument from ignorance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Specifically, this related article has an eerily relevant quote:
"Philosophic arguments that depend on evidence of absence are commonly referred to in peer-reviewed literature as "noseeum arguments". The argument form is specifically inductive in that evidence is accumulated; as one collects a larger dataset the argument grows stronger. Some noseeum arguments are very strong, such as checking the fridge for milk and determining that there is none, since it is relatively easy to systematically remove every item from the fridge, verify that it is not milk, and visually inspect the empty space left over. At the other extreme are noseeum arguments about the existence, or lack thereof, of alien lifeforms. Since the universe is enormous relative to our known area, a noseeum argument stating that there are no alien lifeforms would be very weak."
Evidence of absence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So... are you planning to answer this? I know that wikipedia is not authoritative, but it's just that I agree with everything on those two pages, especially the Carl Sagan quote "impatience with ambiguity," so I am interested to know which part you think is wrong and why (or why you think it doesn't apply).

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2011, 02:12 PM

I don't know what to believe anymore.

I saw this:

Sun Causes Climate Change Shock – Telegraph Blogs

Excerpt -
The science is now all-but-settled on global warming, convincing new evidence demonstrates, but Al Gore, the IPCC and other global warming doomsayers won’t be celebrating. The new findings point to cosmic rays and the sun — not human activities — as the dominant controller of climate on Earth.
The research, published with little fanfare this week in the prestigious journal Nature, comes from über-prestigious CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, one of the world’s largest centres for scientific research involving 60 countries and 8,000 scientists at more than 600 universities and national laboratories. CERN is the organization that invented the World Wide Web, that built the multi-billion dollar Large Hadron Collider, and that has now built a pristinely clean stainless steel chamber that precisely recreated the Earth’s atmosphere.
In this chamber, 63 CERN scientists from 17 European and American institutes have done what global warming doomsayers said could never be done — demonstrate that cosmic rays promote the formation of molecules that in Earth’s atmosphere can grow and seed clouds, the cloudier and thus cooler it will be. Because the sun’s magnetic field controls how many cosmic rays reach Earth’s atmosphere (the stronger the sun’s magnetic field, the more it shields Earth from incoming cosmic rays from space), the sun determines the temperature on Earth.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 02:47 PM

Has this thread been worth participating in?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
I don't know what to believe anymore.
I believe there are any number of other threads to have posted that in.

/shrug

Forum Links
Forum Rules