Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Hillary thinking about running for mayor of NYC

Hillary thinking about running for mayor of NYC
starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2017, 01:48 AM

https://www.nydailynews.com/amp/news...?client=safari

Well, this is interesting. You run for mayor of the very city Trump lives in.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

andi*pandi
Jan 25, 2017, 11:35 AM

Step down for her though, really? I don't see it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2017, 03:16 PM

Yes, a step down. But this sounds about right for her and nyc.
Plus it's a great way to piss off der führer.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Yes, a step down. But this sounds about right for her and nyc.
Plus it's a great way to piss off der führer.
Exactly this.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

OreoCookie
Jan 25, 2017, 10:09 PM

I don't think this is a good idea, she should leave the stage to the next generation. Besides, she was a Senator, a Secretary of State, so as you guys point out, becoming mayor would be a step down.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2017, 06:16 AM

Jerry Brown has had this sort of career, though not to the same degree. He went from California Secretary of State, to California Governor, to failed senate and presidential candidate, to Mayor of Oakland, to Attorney General of California, and is now the Governor of California. Maybe it's because he has a pathological need for power, maybe it's because he truly considers himself a public servant.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2017, 10:21 AM

I think most politicians have a pathological need for power.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2017, 11:38 AM

I do get the feeling Jerry might be a little batshit.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I do get the feeling Jerry might be a little batshit.
I think you are underestimating his propensity for batshittedness.

However, I admire the guy. I'm convinced he's a true believer and not beholden to dogma. I don't agree with all of his stances (it has been said that during the '92 election cycle he was both the most liberal and the most conservative candidate in the race). He was an early proponent of the 'green economy' and the flat-tax.

And while you have to admire that during his first stint as Gov. he eschewed a limo (he drove himself around in a shitty government pool car) and the mansion (he lived in a small apartment), he also threatened to declare war on a neighbouring state (Nevada?) over water-rights or something.

I actually spent some time with him during the '92 campaign in Maine as I was a good friend of his nephew- I got to drive with him from rally to rally in a van- and I think he's is (or was) the genuine article.

I would have said he was too Bonkers to win a national election, but as that threshold has been well and truly crossed, I'd just say he's now too old.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2017, 12:57 PM

I actually do, too. Voted for him in '92. Somewhat similar to me voting Bernie over Hillary*, Tsongas was a closer fit to my politics at the time, but Jerry was a true believer.

*I have to say, Hillary is probably one of the closest matches I've ever had between a candidate and myself. She's a big business war-hawk who for the most part is pro-civil liberties.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2017, 04:51 PM

*I have to say, Hillary is probably one of the closest matches I've ever had between a candidate and myself. She's a big business war-hawk who for the most part is pro-civil liberties.
There is no question that I preferred H to T, but except for the civil liberties thing, she would not have been my choice at all- I'm all about government intervention and regulation of business and a (pragmatic*) pacifist.

*Armed conflict as very last resort. It's long term record of success has basically been shit since WW II, with a few minor exceptions. I believe there are justifications, but few and far between.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2017, 05:47 PM

My goal is to avoid armed conflict as well, but I argue deterrence as the means. I have no doubt Hillary is more interventionist than I am.

The actual armed conflict we've been involved in since WW II I'd say is about 50/50.

I'm not entirely against regulation, but I tend to look at it with skepticism. I feel this way about government intervention in general.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2017, 06:18 PM

My goal is to avoid armed conflict as well, but I argue deterrence as the means. I have no doubt Hillary is more interventionist than I am.

The actual armed conflict we've been involved in since WW II I'd say is about 50/50.

I'm not entirely against regulation, but I tend to look at it with skepticism. I feel this way about government intervention in general.
I'm having to do some thinking to get to the 50/50. This is not about 'winning,' but the long term result being a net positive.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I'm having to do some thinking to get to the 50/50. This is not about 'winning,' but the long term result being a net positive.
Korea: yes
Vietnam: no
Serbia: yes (this one took me by surprise)
Somalia: no
Gulf War I: yes
Afghanistan: hard to say
Gulf War II: no, but I'm still baffled by how it turned out that bad
Arab Spring: seems like no

50/50 may have been too optimistic (I was eyeballing it) but seems like more than exceptions.

I know that seems like I'm just doing win/loss but I think there's a rough parity between wins and net positive.

OreoCookie
Jan 26, 2017, 08:40 PM

@Paco500
But Hillary Clinton is 69 years old. That's why I think she should leave it to someone younger. TBH I also find that too old to become President or be US Supreme Court judge, you are no longer at your peak.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2017, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
@Paco500
But Hillary Clinton is 69 years old. That's why I think she should leave it to someone younger. TBH I also find that too old to become President or be US Supreme Court judge, you are no longer at your peak.
Please don't misinterpret any thing I wrote as me being supportive of her running for Mayor of NYC- I was simply pointing out there was precedent for such a 'step-down.'

Personally, I never supported her candidacy until she was the only alternative to Trump. As a liberal/progressive/regressive/snowflake/etc, I think her remaining part of the political landscape is bad for the movement. I would not make a blanket statement that 69 is too old, but I that doesn't translate to supporting her.

Forum Links
Forum Rules