Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > playing dvd on a Palm device

playing dvd on a Palm device
egghead
Apr 23, 2005, 02:03 AM

Hi,

I am wondering whether it's possible to rip and compress a DVD I own so that the resulting file is small enough to put on a media card and play on my Palm T5. Has anybody done this? What software would I need?

thanks in advance,

Nike

Strix
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2005, 05:02 AM

You'll need something like divx (www.divx.com) to compress the DVD. Divx is a Quicktime plugin and has a number of settings, one of which is to compress down to file sizes suitable for handhelds.

But first you'll need to convert the DVD VOB file. The way I do this is to rip it using MacTheRipper, and then demux the audio and video using MPEG2Works. I demux the VOB into seperate MP2 and AC3 files.

I then use MPEG2Works to convert the AC3 audio to WAV. Next fire up Quicktime and convert the WAV to MPEG4 audio. I copy and paste the audio back into the video file, then export to another file using the divx plugin.

Please note I have Quicktime PRO and the MPEG2 component.

It should then be a case of copying the divx file over to the palm, and playing on a divx capable player, such as MMPlayer.

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 10:17 PM

Good lord that's a lot of work. Why not just use Handbrake? Free and perfectly awesome Mac OS X way to convert a DVD into a Xvid avi file and it will do it all in one step. Also, the core portable media player is without question the best palm based movie player. It will play full size, full frame divx and xvid movies. That's a bit of a waste though unless you're tryiing to save time...320x240 is about as good as palm screens get so save yourself the storage space.

I'll post a link if I get some free time later.
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Forum Links
Forum Rules