Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official Leopard thread

The official Leopard thread (Page 10)
Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
What would you guys think if 10.5's dock looked something like this?

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5196/dockxu7.png
From what I have been reading elsewhere, it probably WILL look like that.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
With regards to the interface update... is this it?

I hope there is something better in store. If those "chalky" white buttons go system wide, it'll suck.
If it still has stripes, I will cry. I hate having to hack them out each version.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
From what I have been reading elsewhere, it probably WILL look like that.
People's random guesswork makes things probable?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
People's random guesswork makes things probable?
Well sometimes guesswork and intuition and common sense does effect the probability of something happening yes.

Just like very few actually KNEW about iPhone but a lot of people claimed Apple probably was going to put one out.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Well sometimes guesswork and intuition and common sense does effect the probability of something happening yes.

Just like very few actually KNEW about iPhone but a lot of people claimed Apple probably was going to put one out.
That's probably because Steve Jobs had talked about it before. Back when people were clamoring for an Apple PDA, Steve said in an interview, "Nah, we're not doing another PDA. Those are going away. Phones are where it's at these days."
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 11:44 AM

That's probably because Steve Jobs had talked about it before. Back when people were clamoring for an Apple PDA, Steve said in an interview, "Nah, we're not doing another PDA. Those are going away. Phones are where it's at these days."
Well my speculation comes from a leak on how they were describing the "black" GUI.

But hey, I just think Chuckit is just in an argumentative mood today and decided to grab at straws.

Go play madlibs or something.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 12:33 PM

Umm, no. I absolutely agree with Chuckit.

There's no reason to believe some png at apple.com will be what the future dock looks like just because some people heard the word 'black' uttered by some Apple rep. If anyone's grasping for straws here...

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Umm, no. I absolutely agree with Chuckit.
No surprise here.
There's no reason to believe some png at apple.com will be what the future dock looks like
No one said that is what it would look like EXACTLY. I believe it will be SIMILAR AND LIKE that however. Atleast if Apple cares about consistency.
just because some people heard the word 'black' uttered by some Apple rep.
That isn't the only reason. Again, that is the direction Apple's NEW products seem to be heading. It's just COMMON SENSE that 10.5 will have something SIMILAR.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SMacTech View Post
This is BS, there is no glossy black interface.
Agreed.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 03:44 PM

We will see.

I think those that are expecting aqua in 10.5 as we know it is gonna be disappointed.

I don't think everything will be glossy black no. But parts will.

And that is all I have to say about that.

kick52
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 04:01 PM

anyone seen the QuickLook screenshot?
its black. BLACK LIKE YOUR HEARTS! err.. ignore. </random>
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard 9A321 | Picture-18.jpg

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 04:14 PM

Just like their prof film software GUI. It MAY be a mix of both this and Aqua, but if Apple decides to do that.. ugh.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
anyone seen the QuickLook screenshot?
its black. BLACK LIKE YOUR HEARTS! err.. ignore. </random>
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard 9A321 | Picture-18.jpg
It's black and transparent…like the standard HUD window used in many apps right now.
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 04:28 PM

Yes but they are adding that black transparent "look" to more of the OS Chuck. I've heard more of it really had that look than they are showing. And "aqua" was different.

I think they are attempting to make the GUI just a transparent "shape" behind the objects or whatever as well. To pretty much make a GUI that doesn't really distract from the content.

xe0
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2007, 03:03 AM

A few obvious images that we've all seen, do lead me to believe that a new black UI could be true.

iTunes7 Movie UI

Quicklook HUD

TimeMachine UI

OSX Leopard 'X'

apple.com Leopard preview

or Im just wishing

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 08:27 AM

Well atleast a GOOD BIT of it will be black.

Bollo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2007, 05:53 PM

this may be the wrong place for the following but I just want to get something clear.

I'm new to mac and computers in general and wondered whether you could update to leopard having split the hard drive with boot camp. If so are there likely to be any problems?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bollo View Post
this may be the wrong place for the following but I just want to get something clear.

I'm new to mac and computers in general and wondered whether you could update to leopard having split the hard drive with boot camp. If so are there likely to be any problems?

Boot Camp moves Windows to a new partition, meaning that it is completely separated from the Mac environment. You could completely trash your Windows partition and the Mac would still be able to boot (providing your disk was healthy).

As long as at install time you indicate that you want Leopard installed on your Mac formatted partition, it will leave the Windows partition intact. The Windows partition includes a completely different file system (called NTFS) which differs from the native Mac file system (currently HFS+, possibly ZFS in Leopard). Even if you tried to write to the Windows partition from the installer, it wouldn't work. In fact, I'm certain that the installer wouldn't even give you this option.

Therefore, you could upgrade, downgrade, remove, corrupt, hack away at the stuff on your Mac partition, and as long as you don't touch any files on your Windows partition it will remain intact and bootable, and vice versa.

xe0
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 01:10 AM

And yet another possible teaser as to the Leopard UI...

An image from the wwdc 07 invite mail. I like this polished black & steel thing going on. Notice the similarities to the iPhone's industrial design with these bevelled edges shown in the above image?

A black UI in Leopard, which shares elements of the iPhone and iPhone's interface seems to be a big possibility. After all, the iPhone is running a version of OSX....
( Last edited by xe0; Feb 7, 2007 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typo - running)

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by xe0 View Post
And yet another possible teaser as to the Leopard UI...

IMAGE CLIPPED

An image from the wwdc 07 invite mail. I like this polished black & steel thing going on. Notice the similarities to the iPhone's industrial design with these bevelled edges shown in the above image?

A black UI in Leopard, which shares elements of the iPhone and iPhone's interface seems to be a big possibility. After all, the iPhone is ruining a version of OSX....
Yeah, I got that email too. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple decides to go all- or mostly-black in 10.5, but that remains to be seen. I'm just hoping that we get some sort of info before June... I can't wait that long!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2007, 05:05 AM

A black UI in Leopard, which shares elements of the iPhone and iPhone's interface seems to be a big possibility. After all, the iPhone is ruining a version of OSX....
I guess it's about as big a possibility as Leopard taking up only 500 MB of drive space, lacking a file manager, being entirely controlled via touchscreen and not being able to run third-party applications.
Chuck
___

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 05:11 AM

Perhaps a hybrid Black/Unified/Dark Unified theme is what's going to be done?

I doubt Apple's going all-black. It just doesn't work for a lot of apps.
Linkinus is king.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 05:14 AM

After all, the iPhone is ruining a version of OSX....
Just because the iPhone's version of OS X is downscaled to fit on a portable device doesn't mean it's "ruined".

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Just because the iPhone's version of OS X is downscaled to fit on a portable device doesn't mean it's "ruined".
I think Xe0 meant "running".
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 01:54 PM

If Apple do change the GUI to this black-gloss theme that we're seeing a lot of, then I most certainly hope that they give us an option to switch back to Aqua, because, in my opinion, it doesn't look all that great.

Colour sets mood, and for me, I'd feel far more comfortable working in a brighter-looking environment, than a dark-looking one.

Just a thought...

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
I'm just hoping that we get some sort of info before June... I can't wait that long!
Considering it is supposed to SHIP in spring (March 20th) of this year I get the feeling you won't have to wait till June.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

clesch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2007, 03:23 PM

Another style mixed into the UI... just what I was hoping for!

Add some white pinstripes and call it Zebra, yipee.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
Considering it is supposed to SHIP in spring (March 20th) of this year I get the feeling you won't have to wait till June.
I think that March 20th looks pretty promising, since there is an ADC introductory Leopard Tech Talk for ADC subscribers on February 28th (London, UK).

Here's hoping there's still a Special Event being held on February 20th to announce both Mac Pro and MacBook Pro updates.

onlyone-jc.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 05:15 PM

what if you could choose the colours for your doc and bars and stuff. Like a bit of css kinda mac alternative!

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2007, 05:40 PM

Yes but the official last day of Spring is June 20 so Apple may wait until June to release it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry View Post
Yes but the official last day of Spring is June 20 so Apple may wait until June to release it.
Yeah. All this "Apple has black stuff so the interface must be all black" speculation is too far out for me, but the fact that Apple just happened to move WWDC to just before the end of spring is too coincidental to ignore.
Chuck
___

xe0
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 07:10 PM

I guess it's about as big a possibility as Leopard taking up only 500 MB of drive space, lacking a file manager, being entirely controlled via touchscreen and not being able to run third-party applications.
Perhaps you misunderstood my comment. I was not insinuating that all future Apple computers will be controlled by a mobile phone operating system... thats just dim. What I was referring to is the The fact that a variant of OSX is running on the iPhone, which leads me to the assumption that Leopard may share similarities - particularly in the UI.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 10:07 PM

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 10:20 PM

I think that's just the browser thing in Interface Builder.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2007, 10:53 PM

Interface Builder.

(10.4 pic:)
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 7, 2007, 11:17 PM

I haven't been this excited about a GUI that I don't know about in a long time.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
I think that's just the browser thing in Interface Builder.
What is with the window on the top left with the icon/list/colum view and info button. Looks like a clean finder window.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2007, 11:36 PM

What is with the window on the top left with the icon/list/colum view and info button. Looks like a clean finder window.
Interface Builder has three main views. One is what you're seeing there, an icon view of all the top-level objects you have instantiated in the file. The second one is a hierarchical view of all the objects in the file, similar to Finder's list view. (In the current version, you access these through the two buttons on the right side of the window.) The third is a column-based class browser, which you currently access through the "Classes" tab. I assume that's what the icons represent. The info button probably does exactly what it looks like: It brings up the info panel for an object.
Chuck
___

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 02:07 PM

Good cuz I hope I am wrong. The new Finder better be more exciting than a couple buttons and unified look.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 02:16 PM

Good cuz I hope I am wrong. The new Finder better be more exciting than a couple buttons and unified look.
It better be more than just a pretty new look and an interface tweak or two as well, performance wise it sucks ass.

In a perfect world, we'd have FUSE/SSHfs support built in too so that we can mount SSH/sftp volumes through the Finder interface without having to write custom scripts to do this.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
In a perfect world, we'd have FUSE/SSHfs support built in too so that we can mount SSH/sftp volumes through the Finder interface without having to write custom scripts to do this.
I'd take your perfect world instantly.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'd take your perfect world instantly.

In fact, I think Apple should probably just replace crappy and sucky AFP with this.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 8, 2007, 05:26 PM

Apple no matter what GUI it uses needs to STICK WITH ONE and be done with it.

I used to make fun of Windows inconsistency. I hate OS X being that way.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
In fact, I think Apple should probably just replace crappy and sucky AFP with this.
Replace AFP with FTP? Are you on crack? FTP doesn't even support file locking.
Chuck
___

Feynman
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2007, 07:44 PM

So ThinkSecret is suggesting that Leopard will be completed by next month. Given that they are putting a freeze on the WebKit development, this could be very accurate!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
So ThinkSecret is suggesting that Leopard will be completed by next month. Given that they are putting a freeze on the WebKit development, this could be very accurate!
An interesting point, but actually, they're refocusing WebKit development on fixing bugs. This makes sense, because WebKit has gotten more and more weird and unstable over the past two years. Undoubtedly this is for Leopard's release, are they betting they can squash all the bugs in the next two weeks? I suppose it's possible, but it's just as possible to give themselves enough time to make it work well for a June release.
Chuck
___

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
...Undoubtedly this is for Leopard's release, are they betting they can squash all the bugs in the next two weeks?...
That Think Secret story is saying by the end of March, not the beginning, so you mean six weeks, not two. Not that I have any idea whether that's any more realistic, since I've not been following the state of WebKit development..

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2007, 10:27 PM

They need time to manufacture the disks and manuals etc, so I imagine that they only have about three weeks before Leopard goes gold and they have to freeze dev on things like WebKit (for the Leopard Build.)

That's if it's coming out in late March.

Which I certainly hope not, because I'm not sure if Leopard is ready for prime-time yet.
Linkinus is king.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2007, 01:19 AM

Can't wait for Leopard!

kilechki
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2007, 07:28 AM

Regarding the UI : the important is not how it looks, rather how it behaves - as Jobs told already when unveiling Aqua in 2000. The UI has been a key factor of differentiation for Apple since the birth of OS X (see how, symbolically, they show the OS X desktop on the screen of the macs in the written ads as opposed to pre-OS X days where the screens were always shut off).
Hence, I wouldn't be surprised to see only minor tweaks to the look of Aqua, except maybe some gradient colors, toolbars or such other details. But have it all much more animated...

Regarding the Finder : I've been thinking for a while that the Finder could be slowly deprecated, in favor of a whole new paradigm that failed to see daylight in 2000 (DP3 with 2 distinct "desktop" and "finder/explorer". After all, Spotlight *is* the finder : its purpose is to find whatever the user may want. The Finder is really some sort of explorer combined with a find and preview feature.
By now, though, the Finder seems here to stay. I'm just curious to see if the Quicklook feature in Leopard betas makes it to the final in its present, very un-apple-ish, form. Why introduce a rupture in the workflow when dealing with files? Quicklook aims to have all files presented like mini-objects (and to have a universal doc-reader for timemachine & the iphone). I can't understand why you would have to select some files, have them opened in un-editable view in a new translucent window and then only access some full-screen command... This doesn't seem to make any sense at all.
It would be much better to have those commands built right into normal finder window.

Maybe QuickLook is just a placeholder waiting for its integration into the Finder?

Forum Links
Forum Rules