Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > SD card reader for cardbus slot?

SD card reader for cardbus slot?
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 01:41 PM

I'm looking for an sd card reader that will fit in the pc card slot of my powerbook (and obviously be compatible). Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a lot of money because it is purely for convenience.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2008, 08:49 PM

PC Card was dropped like a hot steaming turd (for USB2 and/or ExpressCard) before SD popularity overcame CF... I'm actually surprised I can't even find one on Google.

ghporter
Administrator
May 27, 2008, 09:41 PM

A better choice would be a Cardbus USB 2.0 card. Then you could use incredibly cheap SD card readers in the ports of that card. It's the way I'd go, and before I got my MBP I almost bought such a card because of the woefully slow USB 1.1 ports on my Dell laptop.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 12:31 AM

Well, what I'm really looking for is one that will fit entirely inside my powerbook so I don't need another thing sticking out. Really there is nothing?

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 12:33 AM

I already have 2 usb ports. I think I may have lead you astray calling it a cardbus adapter - I mean pcmcia - like this:
PCMCIA SM/MS Pro/SD/MMC PC 5 in 1 Memory Card Reader

ghporter
Administrator
May 28, 2008, 08:48 AM

It doesn't look like a Cardbus adapter, but as long as it's the right form factor (PC card) and it does what you want, that should be fine. Not being Cardbus, it might be a bit slower, but it might just work as a generic storage device on your PB. It doesn't say it works with OS X, but it might...

I had thought you were looking for something to go beyond USB 1.1 speeds (and I may be wrong about the speed of your PB's USB ports), thus the confusion.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2008, 12:43 PM

I think USB 2 came in in Sept 2003 on the Powerbooks - anyway, pretty sure mine has that. I was just interested in whether these cards will work even though they don't say they do... Thanks...

Forum Links
Forum Rules