Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Looking for a 24" widescreen LCD for Photo editing

Looking for a 24" widescreen LCD for Photo editing
Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 20, 2008, 04:02 AM

Well I finally got some money for my 30th birthday ($700 in total) and, I want to replace the 19CRT P series Viewsonic my mom got in Dec 03, and gave to me when she upgraded to an Apple 20" in Aug 06 (and am now using at per place as I am typing this as she's on a Macbook since Feb 07).

What I am looking for in a new monitor
  • 24"
  • 16:10 (widescreen)
  • DVI
  • VESA mount campatible (as I will be getting a arm for it ASFP)
  • No crap (VGA, speakers, usb/firewire ports)
  • Quality displ;ay (without it being a Eco display (can't afford it $1,700 for a 24" drool)
  • I will be editing photos in Aperture and then posting them to my Smugmug site where people will buy prints (I am not pro yet)
  • Can mount my iSight on it
I wish I could get LED backlit, but I don't know if I can wait another couple years (this 19" is buzzing and really driving me up the wall, going from 85hz > 75hz has stopped it for now). I will add a swing arm when money promits as well as a spider or other calibrator device.
( Last edited by Mac Write; May 20, 2008 at 04:41 AM. )
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2008, 07:09 PM

Dell 2408WFP: 24", widescreen, DVI, VESA mountable, *see below*, 8-bit S-PVA panel, should be iSight compatible, currently $604

* It has VGA and a USB hub and a media card reader, but you're welcome to leave those unused.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 20, 2008, 07:45 PM

It'll be hard to find anything other than an Apple display if you refuse to look at monitors that have VGA. It's such a basic feature that you'll never find a monitor without it, unless you look at dual-link DVI displays like the various 30" ones available. It can be used for things other than computers, you know. And if you get an Apple display, you'll be spending $200-$400 more for a comparable monitor and you'll be stuck with a 1-year warranty (every other decent monitor has a 3-year warranty).

However, you probably don't want to look at TN panels. Those are good for gaming and basic use but not much else. I have one and I'm fine with it, but if you're doing photo editing you should get something better.

I would recommend looking for a DoubleSight monitor. Don't let their name fool you, they don't only sell double monitors. They have a 24" model (DS-245W) and a 26" one (DS-263N). I know the 26" is about $700, so the 24" is probably a bit cheaper. They do use the same resolution, though. Avoid the similar DS-243N - it's cheaper than the 245W and it's the same 24" size, but it's a TN instead of an S-PVA. The 263N is an H-IPS display.

Another option is the HP LP2465 monitor, another 24" model that uses an S-PVA panel. This one is cool because it has dual DVI inputs, though it also comes with cables that let you connect it to a VGA source if you need to. It's between $600 and $650 from most places.

There's also a ViewSonic, the VX2435wm. It's a 24" with a P-MVA panel and several TV-like inputs including component, composite, and S-video. It's also between $600 and $700.

All of the above displays are VESA compatible and come with a 3-year warranty.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 20, 2008, 08:50 PM

Well, depending on how much color accuracy you want and how wide a gamut you want the monitor to support, there are quite a number of monitors that should fit your budget. The higher-end Samsung monitors are pretty decent. Here are some monitors that meet your criteria:
You might want to read Anandtech's 24" LCD Monitor Shootout (published May 1, 2008). It's got several 24" LCD monitors that should give you a good head start in comparing different models. You'll want to focus on the Color Accuracy test for your purpose, though.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma View Post
Samsung 2493HM, Samsung 245BW -- home-user offering. They are TN-based panels, however.
You don't want a TN panel for photo editing!

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2008, 02:23 AM

Well it seems the monitor has been put off again, as the money is going towards debt reduction. This means I will gain $500 by end of next year in saved interest payments. Thanks all for the advice.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

OreoCookie
May 21, 2008, 05:20 AM

Samsung has nice screens.
Make sure to avoid TN panels if you want a nice screen and you should invest $60-100 in a hardware calibration tool. This is a must if you use your screen for photo editing and makes a much bigger difference than an extra $100 for some useless card readers built right into your monitor.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
makes a much bigger difference than an extra $100 for some useless card readers built right into your monitor.
The strange thing is the one with the card reader (Dell 2408) is less expensive than the one without (Samsung 245T), probably in part due to higher volume.

brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
May 27, 2008, 03:48 AM

Go with the Samsung 245BW, it is good.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by brightwindows View Post
Go with the Samsung 245BW, it is good.
Why are you recommending a TN panel for photo editing??

Forum Links
Forum Rules