Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4/Dual 1GHZ - Spikes on second monitor

G4/Dual 1GHZ - Spikes on second monitor
Richard Clark
Senior User
Apr 18, 2002, 04:08 PM

I'm not sure where this goes. Didn't really find the right place. But since this problem has shown up on two identical machines (dual GHZ) with two different graphics cards I'm hoping that this is the right place.

G4/Dual 1GHZ
1.12 GB RAM
80 GB HD

This machine has an ATI Mach64 Graphics card for the second monitor. If a machine is started up there will be horizontal spikes on the screen. Restarting it takes care of the problem. The spikes will still show up but disappear halfway through the startup. Deleting the monitors preference folder does not help.

I've zapped the PRAM on this machine but it did not help.

As I mentioned earlier I've seen this on a second G4/Dual 1GHZ. That machine has a Twin Turbo card in it.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Any tips, tricks or ideas would be great. Thanks in advance!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

MGossett
Apr 18, 2002, 05:52 PM

On what monitor does the spiking occur? Spiking has been known to occur on old (like 5 year old) CRT monitors when they're connected to a new computer.

-Mike

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Apr 19, 2002, 09:36 AM

One of the monitors is a Micro Electronics. I'm not sure how old it is. The Windows I.T. provided it a couple months ago.

The other monitor is a Sony Mutli-Scan 220GG. It's only about a year and a half old.

The Micro Electronics monitor is the one right now that if the machine is shut down then the monitor will spike when the CPU is started up again. If restarted it will go away. Sometimes it will take one to two restarts before the monitor is ok.

Weird
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Forum Links
Forum Rules