Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help - VT100 pF keys

Help - VT100 pF keys
joe
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 09:27 AM

Does anyone know the keyboard combinations to emulate the pF1-pF4 function keys on a VT100? I'm trying to dial into a job site that uses those pF keys. Usually the VT100 terminal programs map the function keys to the pF keys (F1 = pF1, etc). But those keys are already in use on my PowerBook to control the screen brightness and audio. ISTR a way around this using keyboard combinations for the pF keys. Something like Esc+O+P for pF1? I don't remember the exact combinations though. Thanx in advance........joe

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 10:45 AM

We have several DEC Alphas here that I work with from my PowerBook, and I use the fn key in combination with the F1 through F4 keys. fn + F4 = PF4 for example.

joe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 09:56 AM

Bax23: I tried the Fn+Fkeys but it's not working. Maybe it's my terminal app? What terminal app are you using for VT100 emulation? I'm using Zterm on a 15" Al PowerBook. And I'm dialing into several remote jobsites that require VT100 emulation with support for the pF1-pF4 keys.

The full story: I convinced my boss to replace my previous PC notebook with a new G4 PowerBook. So until recently I was using HyperTerm for this (comes with Windows). I thought the OSX Terminal could do the same but I need a dialer and phonebook support which ZTerm has. The only remaining problem is to get the pF keys mapped. Any ideas? Thanx......joe

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 10:49 AM

Joe -
I have GLTerm, but I was speaking specifically of Terminal.

OK, I just tried the fn + F4 keys in GLTerm and those work for me there also. It seems I remember that before Panther I used the Option key in conjunction with the F keys to get the desired PF fucntion.

Regardless, in Panther, on a 400 Mhz Pismo, both GLTerm and Terminal use the fn + F key combination.

You might want to check for files in the ZTerm application package called "Keys.txt" or "Keymap.txt". Those might offer some insight on what key combinations emulate the PF functionality.

Hope this helps.

joe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 10:21 AM

Bax23: I checked the ZTerm package contents for those 2 key mapping files but there aren't any. So I thought I'd give GLTerm a try but it doesn't have a dialer. Since all my jobs are dialup I'm stuck. Out of desperation I tried copying the 2 keyfiles from one package/resource to the other. That didn't work

Are you using a dialer or direct only? Does GLTerm have an optional dialer plug-in? Or is there some sort of stand-alone dialer program that I could use with either GLTerm or OSX Terminal? Sincere thanx.........joe

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 10:42 AM

After I had written that, I also noticed that those files were not in the ZTerm package (I downloaded it to check it out). I got that information from the GLTerm developer page. Sorry about that, it was a shot in the dark.

As for me, I do not need a dialer. I connect to the hospital network one of two ways with my Pismo, via 802.11b or, if I am at home, over the VPN (Cisco).

Will your clients issue you a username and password for their corporate VPN if they have one? That might be a way around using the dialer if I am understanding correctly.

joe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 05:03 AM

I'm actually dialing into mechanical equipment in different commercial buildings. The equipment is hooked up to microprocessor based networks spread throughout each building and running their own proprietary code. Dialup is the only option other than driving to each job site and hooking up directly. So what I really need is something like HyperTerminal for Mac - VT100 with a dialer.

XTerm comes close. I can dialup, connect, login, and navigate the system up to a point. But without the pF keys I'm stuck. GLTerm maps the pF keys but doesn't have a dialer. I dunno - maybe if I could find a standalone dialer I might be able to get the OSX Terminal and/or GLTerm to work. But it seems a little strange that noone needed dialup and VT100 emulation together until now. Unless this combination was already addressed in a differeng Terminal program???

BlueCat
Nov 13, 2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by joe:
Does anyone know the keyboard combinations to emulate the pF1-pF4 function keys on a VT100? I'm trying to dial into a job site that uses those pF keys. Usually the VT100 terminal programs map the function keys to the pF keys (F1 = pF1, etc). But those keys are already in use on my PowerBook to control the screen brightness and audio. ISTR a way around this using keyboard combinations for the pF keys. Something like Esc+O+P for pF1? I don't remember the exact combinations though. Thanx in advance........joe
Hopefully I'm understanding you correctly here, but have you tried maybe using <ESC>-1 for pF1, <ESC>-2 for pF2, etc. If I'm totally off topic I apologise - sleepy

I probably should clarify slightly here ... press Escape key, let go and then press number key, not both key together at once

Okay must go to bed now!!!
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 11:25 AM

Have you looked for any Classic apps that might work?

I also ran across a product called MacWise that looks like it may do what you want. You may have already tried it. If not, here is a link:

http://www.carnationsoftware.com/car...se_X_Info.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules