Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MLB 2004 Playoff discussion

MLB 2004 Playoff discussion
JHromadka
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 12:01 AM

Now that baseball's in the last week of regular season, how do you think the playoffs will fare? Last year's playoffs was probably one of the best that I've seen in recent history, with both league championships turning out to be very exciting.

Right now, I'm just hoping the Astros can make it as a Wild Card, but I think the Cardinals will be tough to beat in the NL. As for the AL, I have a soft spot for the BoSox, but I'm an ABTY person, so it's all good.

Thoughts?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 12:03 AM

I doubt my Giants will make it, but even if they do they won't win anything. I'm rooting for the Red Sox and whoever plays the Dodgers.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 07:33 AM

I'm hedging all bets on the Newark Bears to top the Royals in 7...

MattNN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2004, 09:59 AM

Go Brewers!

MattNN

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by MattNN:
Go Brewers!
I hear you're getting a new owner. Hopefully they'll spend more than 30 mil on players.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2004, 12:26 PM

Did you all see the macminute item about the mlb roundup available each day via mp3?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MattNN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
I hear you're getting a new owner. Hopefully they'll spend more than 30 mil on players.
I'm not holding my breath.

MattNN

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 01:08 PM

Go Cards.

I'll be camping out for World Series tickets.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2004, 01:11 PM

i've been rooting for oakland and st.louis every year but they are always disappointed me.

And after watching anaheim and florida won, i felt that baseball playoff was really unpredictable. If the team gets hot at the right moment, they will win it all.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by hardcat1970:
i've been rooting for oakland...
I used to as well.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 01:56 PM

two words...Da Yanks!

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 02:17 PM

Yankees are in trouble - who are they going to pitch? El Duque and the Moose then who?

Red Sox will choke.

Whoever takes the AL West will probably have used too much in the race to win the division in the first place.

My pick: Twins. They do have the best pitcher in the league.

In the NL - take the Cards.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 02:17 PM

The Twins could surprise some people if Santana stays hot.

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2004, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
I'm hedging all bets on the Newark Bears to top the Royals in 7...
Ugh. You know how to hurt a guy. Our 100th loss is scheduled for this evening. ...

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 03:27 PM

My Marlins will not be repeating the fun of last season. Well, atleast not till next season.

As for the teams in the hunt I'll be watching the Cards, the Twins, and the very deserving Red Sox. Screw the Angels though after they suspended Jose Guillen for the season I feel they have hurt their slimming playoff chances. Pretty much anyone but the Yankees will do. But I going for Boston more than anyone. Go Sox.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by mo:
Ugh. You know how to hurt a guy. Our 100th loss is scheduled for this evening. ...
They need to be overhauled.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 04:02 PM

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 04:25 PM

while i'm pulling for my yankees, being a realist i don't see it happening.

Infact, whichever AL team that enters the World Series (and my best best is probably going to be the Red Sox) won't beat the Cards or the Cubs (or the astros if for some reason they don't choke, because i think they will).

I boy can dream though.
Lets go Yankees.

Malt Magics
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 04:50 PM

As I see it, the cubs will hang ono the wild card. the astros and giants won't be able to overtake them.

anaheim has a shot to take the division since the A's pitching is faltering. Mulder is having 2nd half trouble.

If Oakland makes it, I see them choking in the ALDS yet again. Lovely curse they're trying to make.

Boston could make the ALCS depending on who they play in the ALDS.

I think the yanks will make the WS and lose.

LA can hold onto the west, but won't make it out of the NLDS.

cubs will lose in the NLCS again. just seems like something willl go wrong, unless they're playing the braves, who should lose once in the NLDS.

Cards have an excellent chance of winning the WS.

but all of these teams have severe weaknesses.

I say yanks win it due to some miracle of pitching magic, but I'd rather have the cubs win.

actually the yanks won't make it out of the ALDS.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 08:40 PM

SOX

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 10:20 PM

My God...Baseball is the most boring sport ever
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 10:46 PM

You find baseball to be so boring that you decided to click on a thread devoted to the subject. Then, you choice to proclaim the sport every one was discussing is boring.

Thanks for the input. Jack ass.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 11:11 PM

AlfaMunky:

I'm pulling for Oakland but their pitching is struggling big time right now. Harden is our only starter who has been consistant. Redman can't pitch at home, Mulder has only pitched one decent game since the All Star break and Zito has been sucking all year. Even if we do make the playoffs, we're not going to get far with a closer that has the nickname "Heartbreak Dotel."

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 10:13 AM

What about Tim Hudson? Tim is 12-6 with the lowest ERA of the starters at 3.57.

Anyway, I like the A's or the Red Sox in the AL and the Braves in the NL.

Who will actually win it is a different story entirely. I would say the Cardinals have the best shot.

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
Even if we do make the playoffs, we're not going to get far with a closer that has the nickname "Heartbreak Dotel."
I was soooo happy when Houston got rid of that loser (we called him "Notel Dotel"). I went to at least three games this season where he cost us the game. Lidge ain't Billy Wagner, but he's getting the job done.
( Last edited by JHromadka; Sep 29, 2004 at 01:07 PM. )

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 01:02 PM

Angels are taking it, no doubt in my mind.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
My God...Baseball is the most boring sport ever
you are entitled to your opinion, i however think hockey is the most boring sport, either that or WNBA

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by AlfaMunky:
Wow you need help
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2004, 04:12 PM

for all the talk about Santana (and don't get me wrong; he's totally the cy young winner, and he's pitched amazingly), it's important to point out that the red sox have not one, but two pitchers that nobody is happy to face. even if pedro has lost something, he's still better than every other pitcher in the AL playoffs that isn't named Schilling or Santana. if the red sox play Minnesota, they need to play tight defense and steal a game there. if they play oakland, they just need to do what they did during the season. the yankees have problems. it remains to be seen what they do against the twins this week.

in the nl? well, the only thing st. louis has against it is pressure, and the possibility of a letdown. they're pretty scary otherwise. if the cubs back into the playoffs, i'd expect them to make a quick exit. the giants are hot, and if they make it, might be tough.

if i had to predict something, it'll be a sox-cardinals world series.

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 02:31 AM

I can't believe that the Astros are a half game up on both the Giants & Cubs. Some one in Houston must have sold their soul to the devil. I pretty sure that it will work out with the Giants or Cubs over taking the NL wildcard. Yet, how Houston got here is really a shock.

Oh and stevie I might "need help" but your still a jack ass who has found his way into a thread about a sport so boring you've decided to post twice.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 08:07 AM

With as much as we hate the Cubs, it wouldn't surprise me if we blew the series against the Astros on purpose in order to screw the Cubs.

Good to see Scotty back in the lineup though.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
With as much as we hate the Cubs, it wouldn't surprise me if we blew the series against the Astros on purpose in order to screw the Cubs.

Good to see Scotty back in the lineup though.
I've been seeing this on the Cubs' message boards, and really don't believe it.

Were we resting players for the playoffs? Sure. After working hard to get a 15+ game lead in the division, they earned it. Does that mean a team that was not as good was on the field? Yes. Does it mean they were tanking games? I doubt it.

I think most Cards fans would rather face a strugging Cubs team in the 2nd round of the playoffs, than a resurging Astros team that just swept us and is gaining confidence with every game.

I'm guessing all the starters will play in the final games just to get them back into playoff mode.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 08:53 PM

Well. It's the home stretch and Hector Luna, So Taguchi, and Roger Cedeno are in the lineup. Way to get the troops prepared for battle Tony!

And Morris is getting shelled again but he'll probably start game 1 of the playoffs due to "experience."

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
If that makes you feel better about getting swept by the Astros for the second time this year, so be it. It doesn't look good to get swept by the soon-to-be- Wild Card team just before the playoffs start.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2004, 06:15 PM

In other news, Tony LaRussa is a ****ing idiot. More later.

JHromadka  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 12:08 AM

Oh yeah! Just got back from the Astros game tonight. Cubs are pretty much done after losing to the Braves today; now I'm watching to see if the Dodgers can come back and put the Giants on the brink as well.

Got a SRO ticket for tomorrow's game and good seats for the game on Sunday, so I'm ready!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
I doubt my Giants will make it, but even if they do they won't win anything. I'm rooting for the Red Sox and whoever plays the Dodgers.

Ditto .. Giants .. geez .. hwo did they drop that damn world series .. *cry*

Go Giants!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 02:49 AM

I used to as well.

lol .. the a's are in a slump though. i always liked how the low budget team does so well .. but .. lately .. shrug

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by AlfaMunky:
You find baseball to be so boring that you decided to click on a thread devoted to the subject. Then, you choice to proclaim the sport every one was discussing is boring.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by nredman:
you are entitled to your opinion, i however think hockey is the most boring sport, either that or WNBA

i say hockey, soccer, men's olympic wrestling, ... geez .. a lot of olympic sports really..

little league is fun .. if the parents duke it out .. =P

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Oh yeah! Just got back from the Astros game tonight. Cubs are pretty much done after losing to the Braves today; now I'm watching to see if the Dodgers can come back and put the Giants on the brink as well.

Got a SRO ticket for tomorrow's game and good seats for the game on Sunday, so I'm ready!
I really hope that the Giants and Astros tie. They will both be forced to use their best arms in the one game playoff and might not have anything left for the next around (this really applies to the Astros because everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, is scared to play them right now).

Additionally, if the Rams win on Sunday, Golf here will only be 1 cent for 18 holes with a cart at a bunch of courses. I'd hate to miss a Cards playoff game but 1 cent golf! Now, if there is a tie, the start of the NL playoffs will be postponed till Wednesday and that would be perfect!

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2004, 12:05 PM

this should be fun. i couldn't believe my eyes at the choking that happened this year to some great times.

cough cough Cubs cough A's cough

anyway, my yanks should be in the thick of it just as every year we are. I always want them to go against the best so nothing can be taken away from them if they win it all. I said it in 1996, when i preferred Atlanta and I'll gladly take Anaheim, Red Sox, and St. Louis is need be.

BLING BLING.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2004, 12:07 PM

I root for the Cubs in the NL because if they win, it leaves the Red Sox as the biggest losers BY FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR (if not already).

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
BLING BLING.
You called?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2004, 04:38 PM

You called?

by the way, i suppose this is rickey's first year of inactivity before the Hall of Fame calls?

if nobody signed him when he had a good year in newark � i don't think anybody is going to bite again

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2004, 04:59 PM

The Cubs are done. It now down to the Giants & Astros. Go Giants.

The Astros, like last years Marlins have been super hot the second half so it very well be them. Got to love the wildcard. Adds plenty of excitement to baseball. Not to mention two World Championships to my Florida Marlins.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2004, 07:59 PM

Oaktown = Deadtown

Who would've thought that a complete pitching collapse would be their undoing?

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 08:17 PM

That Dodger comeback was bling-bling. The Giants were up three-nil in the bottom of the ninth and then allowed seven runs

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2004, 08:22 PM

The A's always choke down the stretch.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2004, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by hardcat1970:
The A's always choke down the stretch.

didn't they win like 20 straight games 2 years ago to make the playoffs?

Forum Links
Forum Rules